SOLVED! CHEVY EQUINOX Camshaft Position Sensor Code

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
I replaced both intake and exhaust sensors with the exact Dorman replacement part. All was fine for about 5 months then I began getting these codes again. I have check everything. Within a day or so after clearing the codes, they are back. Has anyone else’s run into this issue? Any suggestions other than replace again.

Application is Chevy Equinox 2013 60k miles 2.4, 4 cycl.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No direct experience but all I can say is Dorman are usually crap for anything electrical. Nowadays, with any sensitive electronics, OEM parts are better. Go with ACDelco. I know it's not the best since the original only lasted 5-6 years and 60k but it's better than Dorman unless research proves that there is an actual better part out there.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
My HRR has the 2.4 VVT. Pretty much the same engine as yours. On the HHR forum everyone to a tee will tell you to use only Delco branded sensors. I had to replace both of mine about a year ago with AC Delco sensors and have not had an issue with them.

If you cleared the codes and they came back you need to replace both sensors again.

Reactions: mrrsm and Eric04

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
Thanks guys. I was surprised to hear that apparently the experience with Dorman isn’t that good. I tend to diagnosis as opposed to simply changing out parts. In this case, I was leaning towards replacement given there were no other indications like poor connection or an obvious wiring issue. Thanks very much for your really quick replies!!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I agree with the above posts. ACDelco or Delphi on any GM electronic part. Dorman is crap for electrical parts..

Good luck. I just an engine in my neighbors Equinox, that was fun times... NOT!

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
I agree with the above posts. ACDelco or Delphi on any GM electronic part. Dorman is crap for electrical parts..

Good luck. I just an engine in my neighbors Equinox, that was fun times... NOT!
Engine swap? Oh dear it’s must have been a blast. Thanks for your reply, guess I’ll be changing out the “too good to be true” Amazon Dormans.

Thanks!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Yea it was quite the time. Apparently whatever year Equinox she has, its a 1.5 year only deal. Took us a month to find the engine, found an engine local, low miles, and cheap! Everything afterwards went to hell in a hand basket. But at least this engine doesnt have a rod sticking out the side.

• Haha
Reactions: mrrsm and Eric04

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
Engine swap? Oh dear it’s must have been a blast. Thanks for your reply, guess I’ll be changing out the “too good to be true” Amazon Dormans.

Thanks!
You are a rare breed of the “good neighbor” what a challenge!

16vcabman

May 10, 2018
Ortonville, Mi
I replaced both intake and exhaust sensors with the exact Dorman replacement part. All was fine for about 5 months then I began getting these codes again. I have check everything. Within a day or so after clearing the codes, they are back. Has anyone else’s run into this issue? Any suggestions other than replace again.

More common on these 2.4 is tensioners guides and the variable timing device on the end of the cams. If she rattles when you start you are in doodoo

Reactions: m.mcmillen

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
More common on these 2.4 is tensioners guides and the variable timing device on the end of the cams. If she rattles when you start you are in doodoo

I just got done fixing a 2.4 not long ago. I bought the chain kit from the dealer. They didn’t have the parts the day I called but they said they had just ordered 6 more kits and would have them the next day. That should tell you something right there.

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
What is the code you’re getting? These are known for broken chain guides. If you pull the valve cover you can see it.

I certainly hope that’s not the case but very good to know it’s a known issue. Any other symptoms for this failure.

I haven’t checked the reader in a while but it was the well known p code identified as the camshaft position sensor. I’ll post later today and should have included it in the OP. Thanks for this input!!

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
We traded in my wife's 4 cyl. Equinox for a 6 cyl. Nox and I can tell you that it's a much better vehicle with the 6.The 4 was so buzzy that it drove me nuts.
I wish they had a better transmission though, the way they ooze into gear changes cheapens the vehicle.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I wish they had a better transmission though, the way they ooze into gear changes cheapens the vehicle.

I think thats the way GM is making all cars now isnt it?

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT

So sorry it took me longer than anticipated to post the trouble codes, it P0013 and P0014. Its always been these same two codes some time after replacing the intake and exhaust solenoids.

Any ideas
Thanks

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
That is interesting. The P0013 is an "Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Control Circuit"code and the P0014 is "Exhaust Camshaft Position System Performance".

Likely what is happening is the actuator solenoid has failed. If it isn't working right then the cam isn't going to be in the expected position and it will throw the P0014 because the ECM is seeing it in the wrong position.

Here is some testing info that may help you:

Component Testing

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the appropriate Q6 camshaft position actuator solenoid valve.
  2. Test for 8-13 ohm between the control terminal A and the low reference circuit terminal B of the Q6 camshaft position actuator solenoid valve.
¤If not within the specified range, replace the Q6 camshaft position actuator solenoid valve.
  1. Test for infinite resistance between each terminal and the Q6 camshaft position actuator solenoid valve housing.
¤If not the specified value, replace the Q6 camshaft position actuator solenoid valve.

Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
Very good thanks for that tip. Could you tell me by way of illustration which one is the exhaust solenoid facing the engine bay?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is a 'visual echo' to Post #17, courtesy @m.mcmillen that looks pretty comprehensive for this Ecotec Engine P0013-P0014 VVT Exhaust Cam Sensor Solenoid R&R. The VOP (Video Original Poster) suggests a way to remember the differences between the positions of the Intake vs. the Exhaust VVT Solenoids for future reference as being:

"Just Remember... Exhaust is BACK... Intake is FRONT..."

Last edited:
Reactions: m.mcmillen

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
I realize the replies to this post area year old but you mentioned some good points AND ITS BACK AGAIN with different codes. Latest post of my issue yesterday in this forum. Would appreciate your input. Know where I can find wiring diagram for this engine? Thanks

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Hate to vector you "Off Site" but more than likely, these Folks will have better access to the Engine Systems Diagrams... or be able to steer you towards where to get them:

Reactions: Mooseman

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT

****************************PLEASE MARK THIS RESOLVED************************************

Reactions: Mooseman

JAVINDRA

May 27, 2018
brampton ontario canada

Timing chains they are a issue

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online