Chemical smell in house making us sick....

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I had called the landlord this morning about having the HVAC people out to recharge our A/C. They came out around 3pm today and cleaned the unit really good with a pressure hose, and then filled it up with some freon(sp). I ended up shutting the A/C off at about 6pm and then turned it on again at 7pm as it was hotter outside than I expected. I started smelling a very odd smell. I don't know how to explain it, it's not technically a "chemical" smell like bleach or whatnot but it isn't a smell that we have ever had in here. I noticed the same smell is very heavy in the closet where the furnace/hot water heater is. And I went out back to check the A/C unit and the smell is strong there as well. It has started making me nauseated and caused me to get sick. My older boys have told me that they can also smell it, and then they started feeling nauseated as well. In fact my children smelled it first and commented about it first. I figured they were overreacting, but now I smell it and I am feeling the not so nice effects.

I have since turned off the A/C unit and opened the windows to try and eliminate whatever it is that's getting in here. I guess my question is how concerned should I be? Is it normal to have a smell after the A/C is recharged, or is there a possible leak? I won't be turning the unit on until I can contact the landlord or the company who did the unit today. My landlord did hire a professional company to do the recharge, it wasn't some joe shmoe guy in a pretty shirt. They had the big personalized truck, and a large propane looking canister and a 5 gallon bucket.

Uhg....I really don't feel good.

BTW: We have natural gas for our heat, not sure if it's a natural gas smell or not as I've never smelled a leak. Is it like a gasoline smell if the natural gas is leaking?

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
Natural gas has a rotten egg smell.

Okay, then it's not a natural gas leak. I think my first inclination that it wasn't a gas leak was when I lit my cigarette :crazy:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Voymom said:
Okay, then it's not a natural gas leak. I think my first inclination that it wasn't a gas leak was when I lit my cigarette :crazy:

I thought you quit? :biggrin:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
I thought you quit? :biggrin:

I did....until about the second month into owning this truck :redface: :rotfl:

Bodyslide

Dec 5, 2011
The smell might be the chemical they used to clean the compressor outside, It's a coil cleaner. Your suppose to apply it, let it soak in for 10 minutes then rinse off. The smell usually goes away within an hour or so...

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Bodyslide said:
The smell might be the chemical they used to clean the compressor outside, It's a coil cleaner. Your suppose to apply it, let it soak in for 10 minutes then rinse off. The smell usually goes away within an hour or so...

They only sprayed it with water from my hose. I was outside with them the whole time. Its been 8/9 hours since they serviced the unit, and the smell is still very potent.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
is your unit still cooling ok? I would expect if there is a freon leak and you are losing that much freon that it would have stopped cooling by now. I've refilled my car's freon before but don't recall a strong odor. I'm not saying there wasn't one, just not one that I recall.

I would definitely have them come back out. That is one of the great things about renting is that while you don't want to be a pest, the landlord has to deal with all the problems.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Call the landlord, we can't fix it over the internet....:raspberry:

Uncle Blazer

Dec 8, 2011
We had our furnace cleaned/serviced a couple weeks ago. shortly after we started noticing a faint gas smell, so i called the gas company to come investigate. Turns out the tech that came over forgot to tighten down a nut completely (gas man said is was barely finger tight). one small mistake can have lasting results. have an expert take a look at it.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Thanks guys! I'm going to wait until it warms up enough to turn the A/C on and try it again, just to make sure it was the unit and not something originating from outside. If the smell is still there I will have it looked at again.

DARKASS04EXT

Nov 21, 2011
I would turn it on now and see if the smells disappears or gets better/worse. I wouldnt wait until you "need" the AC again, by then they may be busy and you have to wait etc.

Uncle Blazer

Dec 8, 2011
Voymom said:
I'm going to wait until it warms up enough to turn the A/C on and try it again

I wouldnt wait until you actually need it to see if it still needs work. especially since we are going to be in the low 90's around here this weekend. check it out now and that way if a tech needs to come over you have a couple days to get him out to your place. I would call the same place that cleaned it and tell them that now it stinks like shit(or whatever) and you and your family feel sick. that should light a fire under their asses. the last thing they want is negligence on their part to result in medical bills they are responsible for. hollar loud enough and they will listen.

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
I second/third the idea of doing it asap. If the kids, or most of them are still in school they won't be exposed to it if it's still acting up. Worst time for a/c help is when it's 90 and the heat is when it's 0.... Good luck either way, and stay safe!

DARKASS04EXT

Nov 21, 2011
Ace1875 said:
Every modern house should have a CO detector along with a smoke detector.

Smells can have adverse effect on your nervous system, so don't delay.

CO would cause the nauseous/sick feeling but CO is odorless, If it stinks like hell i doubt it would be CO. Either way get it looked at! :smile: Especially since your not the one paying the bill.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online