Cheap alternative to high priced headlight washer pump.

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
About a year ago I made the fatal mistake (dramatic) of buying some cheap windshield washer fluid at some no name gas station. About a month later (give or take) all three of my washer pumps including the headlight pump went bad. I prefer to try and fix things if I can rather then just replacing, I took the windshield pump apart and it was rusted solid inside. I was able to soak it in Evaporust, clean it up and got it working again. No big deal, they are only ten bucks, but I'm often bored and like to tinker.

Well the headlight pumps are a different story. They go for anywhere from $50-$75 and unfortunately I was unable to rescue that one (of course). I've been refusing to pay that much for one. Who really uses the headlamp washers anyway, but it's always bugged me. Going to be starting on my 50+ item checklist to get my Envoy back into shape, so I was going to just break down and buy one. BUT I finally found a cheap alternative.

I'm sure it's probably not going to be AC Delco quality, but if I get a few years out of it, I'll take it. I just hate knowing something like that doesn't work and just letting it go. So anyway.... I found them on Aliexpress.com for $19.99 w/free shipping. I cross checked and confirmed part numbers. It's sold as a Saab part but it's the same pump. I don't like buying from oversees but for the money I saved, I can now spend the rest on a Premium membership here! I feel I need to give back because the help received here has definitely saved me more than the cost of a membership and that doesn't even include the time and aggravation it's saved me over the years of lurking. I didn't even know there was such a thing until I started poking around a few nights ago.

Anyway, for what it's worth I thought it might help someone save a few bucks. I was also able to source the motors inside of the pump if you really wanted to get into it, but I doubt anyone is as lame as me when it comes to that stuff. But if bought 100 pumps at $20 a pop, sold them for $40 on eBay..... J/K

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Do you have a link to the Aliexpress pump?

Reactions: jmonica

02trailblazin

Sep 25, 2019
Florida
Cheap alternative and closest thing to brand new with 2 working windshield washer pump motors still attached i have alot of extra things from the 02-07 tb envoy and the rest of the brother n sisters on the 360 platform lmk if i can do anything to help cause honestly its jus sittin in the shop collecting dust

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Cheap alternative and closest thing to brand new with 2 working windshield washer pump motors still attached i have alot of extra things from the 02-07 tb envoy and the rest of the brother n sisters on the 360 platform lmk if i can do anything to help cause honestly its jus sittin in the shop collecting dust
That's very kind of you man. I do have a couple if things I need. Quick question, are you not going to put it back on the road, this you're able and willing to part it out? Thank You jim

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
I have a daily driver but ive accumulated extra because the the local salvage yard go ahead and lemme know what i can help with
I have to admit I"m jealous. I used to live in California where I could drive 45 minutes to Sun Valley which seems like the mecca for Pull your own part junk yards. Or do I have to say " Salvage Yards" now to avoid offending one of the yard owners? Just kidding, Where I live know (North NJ) they are few and far between. Nearest decent one is 2-3 Hrs. away. So some of these things are kind of lame but I like to have things complete. NO Pressure at all.

- Catalytic Convertor - I discovered mine is nothing but big chunks of the honeycomb inside. I wonder if I can pass an NJ emissions test with it like that. I can also hear the pieces of it clunking around when its cold. I know this can be dangerous if the CC heats up from being clogged.

-Battery Tray - The one the batt sits on. I cut up mine a few years ago to install a new aluminum battery top box which I am now using on another vehicle. I do have the top box and everything else.

-Spare Tire steel rim - Mine is a clump of rust.

- Side Mirror / Glass - My pass side mirror glass is shattered. It's electric and heated.

-SLT "B" pillar badge(s)

-Front Grill - Looking for a front grill that has chrome center horizontal bars. Apparently finding one of those for an Envoy with Head Light washers is tough.

-Brake Booster - Mine is really rusty and I want to replace it.

-Front Brake Calipers - I need to replace the front calipers (or rebuild them).

-Front Rotors - I need to replace both front rotors.

-Horns - Need the actual horn pieces. At least one of them. After an accident, I have one that sounds line a really big person is sitting on it when it blows.

- Rear (DS) taillight bulb holder - Not sure what it's called but it's the thing inside the tail light hat holds the 3 bulbs. Mine is corroded and broken and just a mess.

-Bar underneath between frame rails. - There's a small round bar that goes front one side of the frame to the other. It sits back be hind the trans etc. I am reluctant to call i a cross member because the tube is only about 1" or so in diameter and is held on to the frame with one bolt on each end. Mine is being held together with rust.

-Air Cleaner box - I modified my old one to accommodate an after market air cleaner.

-Rear door armrest screw cover (drivers side). - It's the small flat piece that you remove to get at the two screws holding on the arm rest. Not a big deal as I can 3D print one.

So I think I've been enough of a pest for one post. As I said no pressure. If you are too busy to respond, no worries. Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, you might want to take all this to separate threads as this is going way off topic.

Reactions: jmonica

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online