Chasing an upper suspension squeak

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
This started within the last week. Have some slight squeaking on the driver side on some bumps, irregular pavement, and sometimes when making low speed left turns. If I bounce the suspension, I can get a pretty loud squeak when the suspension compresses, but it's quiet coming back up.

Got underneath to look around, both my end links have non existent boots (and I think I installed the previous replacements on the wrong sides :dunce: ) Disconnected the driver's side and confirmed that's not the noisy issue.

20230409_102659.jpg20230409_102734.jpg

UBJ and UCA bushings/boots didn't look bad, sprayed them with some lube, but that didn't seem to help either. Started suspecting maybe the strut, but handling has been fine, the truck recovers quickly after bumps. So now I'm wondering, strut mounts maybe? I sprayed some lube down the top mount in the strut tower, that didn't help. Since I have lift blocks in, should I try spraying between them, and the springs? Made a short video, maybe the sound will ring some bells and someone will know where this is?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
These Videos shows promise with spraying the Upper and Lower "A" Frame Bushings with a Silicone Penetrating Lube:

At 4 Minutes into THIS Video... there is a point that isolates a Sound that is VERY Similar to your situation after the VOP (Video Original Poster) ventured through all of the steps to Disconnect the Upper Ball Joint from the "A" Frame and free it up for manipulation:

In this Video, the VOP sprays ALL of these "A" Frame suspension bushing contacts points:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Sunday evening, I realized I had used the wrong type of lubricant when I tried spraying everything, so went out there and sprayed some degreaser, and then rinsed everything out as best I could. After replacing the end links tonight, bounced on the fender a bit for kicks and giggles, and it was quiet. :blinkhuh:

Backed it off the ramps, still quiet. Got the truck turned around in the street to back into the garage how I usually have it, and everything was quiet. True test will be tomorrow, when I commute to the office. Would be a kick in the ass if all I needed to do was clean things up a bit.

The only other suggestion I would make, are your UBJ/LBJ/TRE serviceable? (are there grease zerks?)

If there arent, you may try tracking down a needle grease gun adapter, and fill those boots with grease.

UBJ and LBJ (whole control arms) are relatively new, only a couple of years old, and boots are still intact. UBJs have zerks, lowers do not. That's a pretty handy tool though :undecided:

Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Mini update, last weekend when I got underneath to do a thorough inspection of the bushings, TREs, and LBJs on the driver's side, I didn't see/feel anything out of sorts. I put a couple of really small shots of silicone lube on the studs for the tie rod and ball joint so it could work its way down the threads, but not enough so that it would drip off.

For the past week, everything has been quiet. No more squeaking over bumps/rough roads, or low speed left hand turns. As little lube as I applied, I imagine it won't be too long before it wears/washes out and the noise returns. At that point, I'll choose 1 or the other to lube, and then I should have my culprit. :2thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175