NEED HELP Changing seats in 04 ext

Cthornburg1972

Original poster
Feb 6, 2020
Florida
Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and need a little help.
I have an 04 trailblazer EXT with manual seats, I'm wanting to upgrade to power seats. Question is can i install without doing any additional wiring to make them function or would they be a plug and play deal. Just wondering how much of an undertaking this would be. It's my daily driver that I'm in the process of restoring. I've gotten some really excellent advice just reading as guest and decided to join the group. Thanks in advance for any help and advice. Pretty sure this topic has been discussed before but I can't seem to find any posts.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The definitive response is "maybe". You'll have to pull your seat and see if the wiring is there. Sometimes it's there, sometimes not. At the factory, they sometimes use the same wiring for all of them. If not, I don't think it would be very complicated to add the power to it from the under rear seat fuse box.

Our alumni @MAY03LT just did a video on installing a power seat on the passenger side.

This thread has some wiring info:

This one also has lots of info:

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Question is can i install without doing any additional wiring to make them function or would they be a plug and play deal. Just wondering how much of an undertaking this would be. It's my daily driver that I'm in the process of restoring.
If you have the connectors with all wires present, you're probably good to go if your donor seats are from the same year and match the features your vehicle has (no seat heat and no memory).

But most likely, you will need to add or change some wiring. My rig ('03 LS manual seats) had the connector for the driver's seat, but only a ground wire in it. Nothing to the passenger side at all. :frown:
MAY03LT's on the other hand had all the wiring already.
It's probably just an LS vs. LT/Z thing.

I had to go full-nuclear mode; wire my truck from scratch AND re-wire the seats, and it took me a just few weeknights to get it done. Not difficult if you're comfortable with wiring.

I authored the second thread Mooseman posted which covers installing 2003 power memory seats in a 2003 without the vehicle prewiring or data crap (so the memory module is bypassed and the seats are "stupid" with no memory or heat).

MAY03LT's video covers installing a 2004 power memory seat in a 2003 vehicle WITH the vehicle prewiring and appropriate data modules.

Cthornburg1972

Original poster
Feb 6, 2020
Florida
Thanks guys. I just looked at both seats in mine and I have the wiring from factory. At least it looks like.. 2 small wires with a yellow connector on both. Don't really need heat and memory seats down here in Florida ( but would be nice for when I move from here). Guess the only thing left now is to find a complete set of good leather seats for all 3 rows now. Just don't like the cloth seats and going to go all out on this build since my kids are grown now.thanks for the help. I'll try to post pics when i won't be so ashamed of the exterior. .

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online