NEED HELP Changing Power Steering Lines

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
'03 Trailblazer LTZ, over 300,000km.

Was gonna have my car guy do a bunch of stuff for me but he's in isolation and so am I due to this little pandemic thingy we got goin' on. So now I'm tackling things myself. At least I have the time for it, and he will loan me tools if I need something also (I have plenty of tools but not *all* of the tools). No rush on this job as I'm driving something different for now, and it's in the garage so I can leave it apart and do this over several days. (I also plan to do all my front control arms and sway bar links as well as a new manifold exit pipe gasket, all the parts are here).

Anyways, I've searched and searched and found plenty of advice on doing this job, but I'm looking for a little more detail.

I'll probably keep coming back to this as I go if people reply and help me out. I have a few pages bookmarked and will follow along the procedures people have done.

I'm currently trying to clear the way from above to get to the lines. In this thread (https://gmtnation.com/forums/thread...g-hose-on-2003-trailblazer.10040/#post-541543) the OP moved the fuse box out of the way. I'm having trouble with that as all of the heaps of wiring coming to the fuse box doesn't seem to be that simple to disconnect. Is their a procedure for removing/moving this properly? I've already removed the battery and its base, as well as the horn. I've removed the bolts that attaches the fuse box base to the frame, it's literally just all the wiring that's got me at a halt at this moment. Please advise! Thanks in advance!

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I've got the fuse box out of the way. Currently struggling with removing one bolt for the clips on the hoses driver side. I've decided that once I remove the one line I'll more easily be able to remove that bolt. I've loosened the clips so that once the lines are disconnected that should come out. Now I'm having a heck of a time getting the clamps off at the cooler to disconnect the lines. It's pretty cool out today, hovering zero, I don't know if that makes it worse perhaps? Can't get the hose clamps to slide up the hose. Do people often just cut this line instead and deal with the clamps after?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You talking about the spring clamps at the cooler? Those can be a PITA but they should come off easily once squeezed together with pliers. I'd use a worm gear clamp to replace them.

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Yeah those are the ones. I can get them squeezed and moving around the hose a little, can't get em to slide to save my life. I gave up for the day, it's going to be a little warmer tomorrow so I'll go at it again.

Reactions: Pygot

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Brute force did the trick, my next task is disconnecting from the gear. Looks like a tight spot. I noticed some people mentioned removing the CV to have more room to work, is that a fairly easy thing to do?

Reactions: Mooseman

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Welcome to my live blog....

I'll probably just keep posting my progress and thoughts along the way. All lines are disconnected, going to drain over night. I could see why removing the CV would be beneficial, I haven't yet as I was able to get my girly little hands where I needed to. But I could see the advantage when trying to push the new lines into the rack.

I'm only putting a few hours a day into this so far, between going back and forth for tools and instructions and actually doing the work. It's barely above zero out and while it's warming up in the sun, my garage stays chilly. Nothing like smashing cold knuckles on cold steel... I will resume tomorrow.

Reactions: Pygot and Mooseman

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Lines are out. Now the fun part with the seals at the rack. I was able to pop the rubber cup seal out on the return line (looks like these: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8462120&cc=1412277&jsn=476&jsn=476), but haven't been able to get anything out where the pressure line goes in. Must these seals be replaced? And I read about some metal seals to remove? Need a bit of clarification on this. The videos I've seen don't even mention the seals, but there is a lot of talk about them from everything I've read here. I've tried the wrench trick to no avail. I have a pick set but not here, it's on my list of things to grab from the in-laws when we break our self-isolation.

I'm kind of at a stand still for now til I get the seal thing sorted out.

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Tried to get at it from the top, I could see how it might be a workable position to start the new lines in but my arms are definitely not long enough to try and get the seal out from above. I did get my mirror down there to confirm that there is indeed still one seal in place. 2 pictures, one is showing the cavity with the seal removed, the other showing with the seal still in.

Attachments

• 20200327_163144.jpg
    20200327_163144.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200327_163153.jpg
    20200327_163153.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 29

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
IIRC, I had the same problem with the pressure line cup seal. Maybe it gets expanded by the pressure jamming it in there more than the return line. I remember the return line seal came out with the line. I think I wound up using a pic on it. If you do that, you have to be careful to not nick or scratch the interior.

Reactions: PProph

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
And they have to be changed hey? Not wise to leave it in there/reuse it?

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
And they have to be changed hey? Not wise to leave it in there/reuse it?
I too thought I was going to go crazy with the cup seal. Mine looked like there was still one in there too. I picked at it for about a half hour before I finally said eff it and buttoned it up. I've had no issues since I did it in August.

img_20190824_114123-s-jpg.90651

On the driver's side, I didn't remove anything except for the wheel so I tackled the lines from within the wheel well (cut the old lines out to speed things up). I used the jack under the steering knuckle to adjust the angle of the CV axle as needed.
It took some contortionism and brute force, but it was doable.

On the passenger's side, I removed the air box and washer reservoir and tackled the lines from above.

Reactions: Mooseman and PProph

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I did remove the fuse box and such from above, probably not necessary but gives a little more wiggle room. I'm going to get my pick set maybe and try with that. I won't be too aggressive, last thing I want is rubber pieces in the rack.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I might have left the old seal in there too. It's been so long ago, I can't remember. Eventually I wound up replacing the rack that came with new seals.

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I'm at my wits end with this seal. I'm concerned I've done too much poking around that leaving it in there isn't going to work. I've mucked about with a handful of different ideas to no avail. I did read a post on the site that shall not be named where someone suggested using a Q-tip with the famed 50/50 Acetone/ATF solution and swabbing in there to soften the seal? Would that possibly cause harm? I can't imagine there's rust inside the cavity so I'm not sure that would help but I'm willing to try anything at this point.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
I'm at my wits end with this seal. I'm concerned I've done too much poking around that leaving it in there isn't going to work. I've mucked about with a handful of different ideas to no avail. I did read a post on the site that shall not be named where someone suggested using a Q-tip with the famed 50/50 Acetone/ATF solution and swabbing in there to soften the seal? Would that possibly cause harm? I can't imagine there's rust inside the cavity so I'm not sure that would help but I'm willing to try anything at this point.

So your still trying to remove the pressure seal from the rack? If you are, I found myself once in the same spot and pried it out with the open end of a 1/4" wrench. It will catch the seal from behind and give you the mechanical leverage to pop it out.

When this happens a second time (hopefully never), I'll skip the replacement lines altogether and make a custom adapter fitting at the rack that allows me to go with AN fittings....then get my lines made up at a hydraulic shop. I just went this route on my Jeep project recently and couldn't be happier. Even the cost of the hose is comparable.

Good luck.

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks for that, the wrench is how I popped the first one out, no luck with the second. I've tried different sizes of wrenches, I've tried picks, I've tried a bent tip flathead, everything short of a goatsblood sacrifice... or the proper removal tool. I looked closer at the seal I did remove and now understand the metal that's on it, I assumed it was all rubber. Not that knowing that really helps me any, other than I guess I know I wouldn't be able to hook into the side of it, I have to get behind that ring.

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I have not tried the bolt removal method used in this video:

I will try this next, I've threaded a bolt into my removed cup seal and can see exactly how it would work. I just need to hunt down the right sized bolt. My car guy is going to include one in a care package for me (including some tools to attack my suspension) if I don't find one before Sunday.

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I switched to working on removing my control arms for replacement so haven't been at this for a bit. I just got everything off and apart today, including popping the cv out so that I have more room to work with trying to get this cup seal out.

Quick question about another seal, as far as I know my axle seal has been fine, and when I popped the cv out I had some diff fluid run out so I know that it has been maintaining level/not leaking. My car guy suggested that since I have the axle out anyways I might as well change the seal. Is it really necessary? I'll have to order the part and possibly arrange to borrow more tools to change it properly, and as far as I know there isn't anything wrong with it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd leave it. Only time I ever changed mine was when I swapped my engine out and I did all of them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
That reaffirms the route I planned to take. I've about given up on this seal, started looking for the proper tool as I'm just not having any luck.

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I'm an idiot. The seal has been out the whole time. I believe what my earlier photo shows is a valve or something that is on the pressure side but not on the rack to cooler side, hence they look different. Pretty sure I've wrecked whatever's going on in there and I may end up having to replace the rack. I'm going to put the new lines in and hope for the best. I made this realization today when I set the one seal I found into the cavity and understood how it worked better. I realized it couldn't be down in the cavity and set about to running my lines. I then found the 2nd seal on the floor halfway across the garage. I'm very frustrated with myself at this point.

• Sad
Reactions: Mooseman

Up And Down

Oct 25, 2012
I did mine a few years back too and it wasn’t fun. I didn’t remove the fuse box but I can see how it would give you more room.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online