Changing Motor Mounts

personalt

Original poster
Jul 3, 2015
My motor mounts are in sad shape.... I have seen a few theads that talk about how to jack up the engine and but I was wondering if people are removing the tires and the wheel-well-guard and going in that way. Or is that not needed?

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Wheels have to come off. Wheel-well-guards can stay on. I also opted to drill a whole in the pcm bracket to gain access the top nut on the driver side motor mount although you will need a longer extention to get to it.

personalt

Original poster
Jul 3, 2015
Wheels have to come off. Wheel-well-guards can stay on. I also opted to drill a whole in the pcm bracket to gain access the top nut on the driver side motor mount although you will need a longer extention to get to it.

Interesting.. what access doesn't removing the wheels but not the guards do..
Thanks

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
With the wheel out of the way you'd gain more room to access the 3 bolts that hold the frame bracket for the motor mount. Added since you will notice that the new acdelco motor mount bolts will be longer than the orginal removing 1 or 2 will let you get them in there faster. It's way easier then trying to lift up the engine and busting something.

fatbutweak

Jan 22, 2017
usa
With the wheel out of the way you'd gain more room to access the 3 bolts that hold the frame bracket for the motor mount. Added since you will notice that the new acdelco motor mount bolts will be longer than the orginal removing 1 or 2 will let you get them in there faster. It's way easier then trying to lift up the engine and busting something.
I just did this last weekend. I jacked up the motor until the axles touched the frame, then took the bottom two motor mount bracket bolts out and loosened the two top ones. Pretty easy to do with the wheels off and enough extensions. Much easier swap than jacking up the engine and grinding off the new bolts.

Reactions: xavierny25

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
I did't take off my wheels. I just jacked up the vehicle and accessed the 2 mount bolts from under the vehicle. I did the one side at a time method that rotates the engine to one side to get out the mount. I did have to grind down the top bolts for the mount in order to get the new ones in as they weren't compressed like the old one.

Last edited:
Reactions: xavierny25

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.