Changed water pump, engine now overheats.

WillyGood

Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I just got done changing my water pump on my 04 tb with 127k mikes on it. Against my better judgement (I think?) I did not change the fan clutch at the same time. Everything went pretty smooth considering it was 15 degrees out and I had never done this repair before. One thing was when I was putting the fan shroud back in the plastic piece on the inside of the shroud where the rubber house from the fan clutch connects to snapped. I can see the wires running threw, they seem fine? Anyway I digress, after i got everything back together and added coolant the engine starts right up and sounds great aside from a minor tick I hear. However after I drive for five minutes the temp shoots up and goes towards over heating, also I have no heat/ defrost in the cab, it just blows cold air. Another thing that might be noteworthy is it seems to me that the fan is spinning slower then it used to? Its hard to tell. Its spitting out a code but I cant get to the parts store till wifey gets home. I know you guys probably need a bunch more info but I'm just trying to get the ball rolling. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

WillyGood

Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Negative, well actually I couldnt remember something I never learned in this first place lol. What is this burping you speak of?

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
WillyGood said:
the temp shoots up and goes towards over heating, also I have no heat/ defrost in the cab, it just blows cold air.
You have air in your system, that's why you don't have heat even though it's overheating.

I've not done cooling system service on the I6 yet, but whenever I replace the thermostat on ANY vehicle, I drill a tiny (1/16") hole in the thermostat to allow air to purge. Some thermostats already come with a bleeder in them.

The one on the left already has a bleeder, the one on the right I've drilled a hole.

WillyGood

Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
How would one go about releasing the air? should it get to a certain temp theb open the system somewhere?

Apr 26, 2014
So let it cool, remove the rad cap and check the fluid level. Fill it up. turn heater on high and run it with the cap off for a while. As the fluid goes down keep adding. when it starts to overflow then stop and put the cap on, leave it running and check the temp. , if it is still overheating then shut it off, let it cool and repeat. Don't forget to refill the overflow also. Usually the air will work itself out, may take a few times.

WillyGood

Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
ahh, saw the video after I posted the question how to. I'll go try it out. I'll let you guys know. Thanks

WillyGood

Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
So i purged the air, the heat returned in the cabin and the temp sits at 205, exactly where it used to sit.. Actually a tick lower! Thanks so much! The problem i have now is the CEL. I got it down to autozone the codes were p0117, p0340, p0621, p0426. From what i gather these are all sensor codes. When i took it for a test spin after the repair and before purging the system, and the temp shot up is when it came on. The truck sounds and feels great. I'm hoping after a couple drive cycles it will go away? Im gonna try and find out exactly what the codes are now. Maybe i need to reset or flash something?

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Unfortunately the 4.2L does not have a coolant system bleed plug so you've got to do it the hard way.

Look for an ELM327 OBD-II adaptor on eBay. You can get them at very good prices. That and the Torque App on an Android will let you look at and clear codes.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
WillyGood said:
So i purged the air, the heat returned in the cabin and the temp sits at 205, exactly where it used to sit.. Actually a tick lower! Thanks so much! The problem i have now is the CEL. I got it down to autozone the codes were p0117, p0340, p0621, p0426. From what i gather these are all sensor codes. When i took it for a test spin after the repair and before purging the system, and the temp shot up is when it came on. The truck sounds and feels great. I'm hoping after a couple drive cycles it will go away? Im gonna try and find out exactly what the codes are now. Maybe i need to reset or flash something?
I got you covered.

P0117:
CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor is a variable resistor, that measures the temperature of the engine coolant. The powertrain control module (PCM) supplies 5 volts to the ECT signal circuit and a ground for the ECT low reference circuit. When the ECT is cold, the sensor resistance is high. When the ECT increases, the sensor resistance decreases. With high sensor resistance, the PCM detects a high voltage on the ECT signal circuit. With lower sensor resistance, the PCM detects a lower voltage on the ECT signal circuit. If the PCM detects an excessively low ECT signal voltage, which is a high temperature indication, DTC P0117 sets.

DTC DESCRIPTOR
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:
DTC P0117 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit Low Voltage

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC
  • The engine is running for more than 2 minutes .
  • DTC P0117 runs continuously when the above condition is met.
CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The PCM detects that the ECT sensor parameter is more than 138°C (280°F) for more than 6 seconds .

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS
  • The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
  • The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.
CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC
  • The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
  • A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
  • A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
  • Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.
Possibly a leftover code caused by the overheat.

P0340:
CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The camshaft position (CMP) sensor produces a 6X plus a sync signal for each revolution of the exhaust camshaft. These signals are for control of sequential fuel injection and for exhaust camshaft phaser control. The CMP is connected directly to the powertrain control module (PCM) and consists of the following circuits:
  • 12-volt reference
  • Low reference
  • CMP sensor signal
If the CMP Active Counter stops incrementing diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0340 will set.

DTC DESCRIPTOR
DTC P0340 Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit

• The engine is running.
  • DTC P0340 runs continuously when the above conditions are met.
The CMP Active Counter is not incrementing for more than 3.8 seconds .

• The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will illuminate after two consecutive ignition cycles in which the diagnostic runs with the fault active.
  • The PCM records the operating conditions at the time when the diagnostic fails. This information stores in the Freeze Frame and Failure Records buffers.
  • A history DTC stores.
CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC
  • The MIL will turn OFF after three consecutive ignition cycles in which the diagnostic runs without a fault.
  • A history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles without a fault.
  • Use a scan tool to clear the DTCs.
DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
  • Whenever the PCM sees less than 15 resyncs in 256 seconds , the counter resets to 0. When a poor connection is present, the cam sensor active counter stops incrementing and the cam sensor resync counter starts to increment.The following conditions may cause this DTC to set:
  • Damage to the camshaft reluctor wheel
  • Damage to the CMP sensor
  • The sensor coming in contact with the reluctor wheel
  • Foreign material passing between the sensor and the reluctor wheel
P0621:

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The powertrain control module (PCM) uses the generator turn on signal circuit to control the load of the generator on the engine. A high side driver in the PCM applies a voltage to the voltage regulator. This signals the voltage regulator to turn the field circuit ON and OFF. When the PCM turns ON the high side driver, the voltage regulator turns ON the field circuit. When the PCM turns OFF the high side driver, the voltage regulator turns OFF the field circuit.

The PCM monitors the state of the generator turn on signal circuit. The PCM should detect a low generator turn on signal circuit voltage when the key is ON and the engine is OFF, or when the charging system malfunctions. With the engine running, the PCM should detect a high generator turn on signal circuit. The PCM performs key ON and RUN tests to determine the status of the generator turn on signal circuit. During the key ON test, if the PCM detects a high generator turn on signal circuit voltage, DTC P0621 will set. DTC P0621 will also set, if during the RUN test, the PCM detects a low generator turn on signal circuit. When the DTC sets, the PCM will send a class 2 serial data message to the instrument panel cluster (IPC) to illuminate the charge indicator.

DTC DESCRIPTOR
DTC P0621 Generator L-Terminal Circuit

• The ignition is ON.
  • The engine speed is more than 1,000 RPM .
  • The PCM detects the GEN L-Terminal active with the ignition ON.
  • The PCM detects the GEN L-Terminal inactive with the engine operating.
  • The above conditions are present for 6 seconds .
  • The PCM will record the operating conditions present when the DTC set as Failure Records data only.
  • The IPC displays a message.
  • The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will not illuminate.
CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE DTC
  • The Conditions for Setting the DTC are no longer present.
  • A history DTC will clear after 40 malfunction-free ignition cycles.
  • The PCM receives the clear code command from the scan tool.
And P0426? Do you mean 0446 maybe, or 0462? 04 shouldn't have an 0426. 446 involves EVAP, 462 involves fuel sensor circuit.

Reactions: WillyGood

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Did you get the serpentine belt on correctly? I think, it can get routed two ways, one being incorrect.

WillyGood

Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Yea the belts on there correctly, the things running like a top. Between the new belt, cleaning the water pump pulley, changing the water pump (that was probably failing for a while), and the shift solenoids in the tranny i just did the truck hasnt felt this good in awhile. So ill clear the codes and see what happens.

Reactions: Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online