Changed Tie Rod Now Alignment Is Out

Dakota76

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
I changed my right outer tie rod end yesterday, now my alignment is out (noticably).
Can i just turn the iner tie rod to bring it back to close. Or do i need to remove it from the knuckle and turn the tie rod.
I am going to get an alignment done but i need to get there first, and its about a 2 hr drive.

Thanks Dak

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You just loosen the jam nut, and rotate the inner tie rod end on the threads to get it close. Don't raise it in the air to take the weight off the front suspension, as that changes the toe in. Keep it on the ground, but put something slippery (greased metal plates?) under the tires to make it easier to adjust. I use a long straightedge on each front tire comparing it to the body or the rocker panels to get it close to straight.

Dakota76

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply Roadie

Should the tires be the same distance in the front of the tire as the rear of the tire (on the front tires)

Thanks Again Dak

Hey i noticed you in this thread http://gmtnation.com/f25/vibrations-when-sitting-drive-1269/index2.html
I put a post there about my Envoy I get vibrations when in Reverse, just to mention i did the Throttle Body cleaning but never disconected the battery. any ideas would be welcome

Feb 24, 2012
If you have a chalk line or long string, you can fix one end to the rear wheel 90 degrees from the ground (halfway up the wheel). With the steering wheel straight ahead just turn the tie rod until the string touches both front and back of the front tire halfway up. That will get you very close, not enough for thousands of miles but should get you to the alignment shop.

Check both sides, so you can be see how the opposite side lines up. You should get about the same.

I have done many 'eyeball' alignments without the string after changing tie rod ends, and more than once the alignment shop said 'who did this alignment? I didn't need to adjust anything!'

Dakota76

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Well i got it done (did it by eye). Pretty close i think.
Took my hands off the wheel while driving and it didnt pull to either side.(although we only have dirt roads here)
Good enough to get me in for a proper alignment.

Thanks for all the help.
Dak

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Can someone confirm the wrench sizes needed...I' m guessing 22 and 25mm. Thanks.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online