changed plugs and oil ses light still on

psycho91

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
So I changed the plugs, I put in the recommended 41-103 acdelco's, I also did an oil change

My problem is I had to ride around with misfiring plugs for about two weeks I also found out that I have been riding around with little oil for probably about that long as well

Well after all that it has a rough idle and when I come to an almost complete stop and when I lift off the break to accelerate there is a slight jerking, and my motor makes a slight blurp like noise until about 45 but you have to listen for it, after 45 it runs fine

Have I caused permanent damage to my motor, it had all these symptoms before I changed everything but they were worse

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
When you changed the plugs, did you also clean the throttle body and leave the battery disconnected for at least 30 minutes? Also, did you make sure your coil packs were seated properly? The slight bump sensation means you need to grease the slip yoke...mine did the same, it happens and that is the fix.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

psycho91

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Yeah I realized that after I posted it, mine isn't 4x4, also how would I know if the coil packs are seated correctly

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Can you get the codes read...that should give an indication of why the ses light is on. If it's a P030X code (X being a number from 1-6) then it's likely a coil pack.

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
Get codes read from what cylinder is missing.
Swap known working coil with cylinder that's throwing code, unhook battery for 30 mins.
If the CEL comes back, the DTC should have moved to the new location if it's a bad coil.

.... If not, compression check and pray for the best.

I just went through this worm hole, had to get a new head installed to the tune of $4k. Warranty covered most of it luckily.

psycho91

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
It was unplugged for I know a good hour, I went out on my lunch and just turned the key to turn the radio on but never started the truck, I will unhook it 30 min before I leave and see if anything changes when I actually start it to leave work

psycho91

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Had it scanned and the only thing it told me was I had multiple misfires, could the plugs be pit in to deep, or is there a way to tell what coil packs are bad or if there not seated right

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
psycho91 said:
Had it scanned and the only thing it told me was I had multiple misfires, could the plugs be pit in to deep, or is there a way to tell what coil packs are bad or if there not seated right

You cannot put the plugs in too deep.

As for the mult. misfires, have you tried removing & re-seating the coils making VERY sure you put them back in straight....if the spring doesn't hit the top of the plug perfectly, misfires will result.

If this doesn't change anything, I'm guessing you have one or more coil packs that are totally shot. Only real way to fix it is to get at least 1 new coil pack (preferably 2), and start with from the front cylinder and swap out the old with the new and see if that solves it.

psycho91

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Checked the coil packs and found out I had a bad coil pack, my stepdad didn't check the rearmost one though cause he couldn't reach it, ill check it tomarow morning just to be on the safe side, I'm hoping this is the end of this nightmare, lol

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
psycho91 said:
...the end of this nightmare, lol
Ah, you're not living a nightmare, grasshopper. :frown: Go 10 miles off pavement, 70 miles from the nearest town with an auto parts store, and break a tie rod end and your spare is home safe in your workshop 250 miles away, or be 20 miles up a mountain and break your differential and have to pull yourself to a Motel 6 using your front wheels only and figure out how to get 850 miles back home while you're between jobs to change out the axle, or drive 1800 miles to Ellington, Missouri and lead a trail ride that ends up at dusk with 25 people in about 12 trucks lost in a national forest without a guaranteed shortest path back to civilization and dinner because there's not many restaurants open after dark in dueling banjo country and they're thinking about stringing YOU up to punish the arrogant Californian - now THAT'S a nightmare. :frown:

:cool:

psycho91

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
the roadie said:
Ah, you're not living a nightmare, grasshopper. :frown: Go 10 miles off pavement, 70 miles from the nearest town with an auto parts store, and break a tie rod end and your spare is home safe in your workshop 250 miles away, or be 20 miles up a mountain and break your differential and have to pull yourself to a Motel 6 using your front wheels only and figure out how to get 850 miles back home while you're between jobs to change out the axle, or drive 1800 miles to Ellington, Missouri and lead a trail ride that ends up at dusk with 25 people in about 12 trucks lost in a national forest without a guaranteed shortest path back to civilization and dinner because there's not many restaurants open after dark in dueling banjo country and they're thinking about stringing YOU up to punish the arrogant Californian - now THAT'S a nightmare. :frown:

:cool:

Lmfao, now that's funny, now that its all over and done with, I will agree with you on this one Roadie, IV been in a couple situations like that with my old Geo tracker, me and my bro sunk it a few times out in the middle of no where wondering how in the hell we were going to get out, not as bad as your situations though

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
the roadie said:
... in dueling banjo country...

Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.