Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So as some of you know, I am kinda planning a front/Rear end suspension rebuild and axle replacement for my 2004 Envoy XUV with 191k miles. Which momentarily got put hold for a possible truck purchase...

I had an opportunity pop up to buy a 2006 Envoy Denali SWB V8 with 56k miles, but the seller was basically playing the buyers against each other (me and one other guy) trying to drum up more cash. I got to my top end budget wise, and could go no more.

But while all that was going on, it gave me the opportunity to shop around, hoping to find a 9-7x Aero that I could afford. That didnt happen :hopeless: .

But I did run across a vehicle of interest..

2008 Saab 9-7x 5.3 Arc with 104k miles, almost the build I want, but close enough that I could easily live with it (it has a GT4, and was wanting GT5). Price is at 4000 plus fly out, and drive back (920 Miles). Flight is less than 100 bucks, and fuel back should be right around 120 bucks (driving straight back)

Im already into my Front End Rebuild for 485 bucks (TBSS front diff and Envoy Tires and rims) but I still have roughly another 1500ish to go in parts alone, Plus my time in doing the work. I can easily get back the 485 bucks I have in the parts I have bought.

As I have said before, I really love my XUV. It is a bullet proof truck, and just keeps going. It has literally NEVER left me stranded (Even when the tranny went out, it still drove to the dealer. When the intake manifold cracked in half, it still drove to the dealer).

But I have to be honest, I really love the reliability of the Envoy, not really the truck that is the XUV. Its to long for what I need, getting in and out of my cabin can be a real pain because of it. The pickup truck back end, I have used maybe a total of 10 times since I have owned the truck (going on 12 years I think). Its handy when I need it, but I also own a trailer that could easily do everything the pickup truck part could have done.

I imagine I could sell the Envoy for 2500 (or more, havent really checked its value), so that would put me into the 9-7x at about 2000 (added about 250 for DOD delete (LimeQuat), and Oil/Diff services).

I wrote out a pros/cons list, and they about equal really, with a slight advantage to the 9-7x, mainly about being lower miles.

Whats your opinion?

If anyone is interested, here is the VIN - 5s3et13m482803552 and RPO sheet...
20191003_104751_HDR.jpg

01515_ePrCd5x5cOf_600x450.jpg

The biggest thing, and really the only thing, i dont like about the Saab is the interior color. I hate that light beige or whatever it is. Its a Texas truck, so the dash has a but of peeling going on.

00j0j_gBFvfI4CRuf_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would be buying the Saab. I am not an XUV fan and I like the Saab style. The 104 miles on the 5.3 is nothing. The overall money aint bad either to drop 90K miles of wear n tear.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@HARDTRAILZ - I tend to agree to a part. I think the rear end styling is ugly, but the rest I am ok with. I edited my main post above with pics, and a bit more info.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Isn't your XUV a 5.3?

I hear you about the length. Difference was night and day between the EXT and the Saab.

If you do get the Saab, it will benefit greatly from a tune. It was a dog without it.

You mention your cabin, just be aware that the Saab is an almost useless part time AWD, same as if you put your XUV in A4WD

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've seen the beige seats and it's fugly.

Watch for a sagging front bumper. Of all the trucks I've had, the Saab is my favourite minus the AWD.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Isn't your XUV a 5.3?

I hear you about the length. Difference was night and day between the EXT and the Saab.

If you do get the Saab, it will benefit greatly from a tune. It was a dog without it.

You mention your cabin, just be aware that the Saab is an almost useless part time AWD, same as if you put your XUV in A4WD
Yes it is a 5.3. Not sure what you mean about the AWD system, the A4WD on my Envoy works spectacularly. I can hear it engaging and disengaging, it interferes slightly with my Bluefusion bluetooth add on. Mostly, the Voy stays in 2wd, but when the weather turns, I put it in A4WD, and have not had an issue yet with the "slip-bang" system.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I would go for the Saab for sure. The 5.3, the nav, and those are the best rims that were put on the 9-7x IMO. Just swap those seats at the junkyard down the road with another gmt.

I think Mooseman meant the AWD on the Saab. It didn't have an option for 4WD.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's just it, it's only AWD. Funny thing is that on the AWD only trucks, people hate it and also it's how the intermediate shaft gets stripped by the slip bang. On my old EXT, even though I never used it, the A4WD on it was way smoother than the Saab's. At worse, you could change it into a 4x4 (it's been done).

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Normally, I'd say keep what you have, since you know it's reliable, and it's paid for.

But... my Sierra started life in TX, and since it spent its first 7 years there, my body is in really good shape, even though it's now 16 MY (!) old.

That, plus fairly low miles for the year (and you're gaining 4 MY), along with recouping some of the cost by selling the XUV - I'd give my blessing for the Saab. Nice looking truck, and it's got the 5.3, which is a modder's paradise.

Keep in mind that body / interior trim parts might be scarce.
The CAN is a little different in the Saab, vs the other brands (Moose can tell you about that).

If you go, have a backup plan for getting home if the truck doesn't measure up.

If you can at all help it, don't tell the owner at the outset that you're coming from out of state, lest he use it as leverage against you (if you travel far for a vehicle, you have a greater commitment / investment vs. a local buyer).

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well, I think I am going to pass on the 9-7x. I need a lockable 4wd, and not a slipping AWD. I need that 4wd when at my cabin, or pulling one of my Semi Trucks out of a snowbank. I am just not sure that the AWD will be up to the task that I put my 4wd thru every winter.

So either a find a Denali that fits the bill, in budget (that likely wont happen), find a TB LTZ V8 (also not likely), A loaded Ascender SWB V8 (Which I dont think they made).. Or rebuild old reliable..

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Why limit yourself on the TB to an older LTZ and not get a newer V8 one?

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well I guess I got ahead of myself. A TB with a V8 non SS/aero

Kelly@PCMofNC

Mar 16, 2013
Good luck with the search. I kind of prefer a rebuild myself, just because you know the history of your own vehicle! Kind of the devil you know vs the devil you don't.

Reactions: Maverick6587

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.