Centre Console Wireless Charging Lid

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
So I saw a thread in which a fellow member added a cup holder to the center console lid. This gave me the instant flashback to the new Yukon 2015 Denali and wireless charging in the center console lid. I would love to have this to reduce the wires in my car. So has anyone tried this already ? And is it a good idea ? How hard would it be to integrate it ?

Something along these lines. And yaa that iPhone don't have wireless charging :rotfl::rotfl:

Screenshot (349).jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I like the concept but have never seen it done as a retrofit

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I completely understand it and knew it came factory, but have not seen it reverse engineered to work in an older truck.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I completely understand it and knew it came factory, but have not seen it reverse engineered to work in an older truck.

Ok, but I still thought I should put that there for other readers to understand what I am talking about. Now to get in touch with @Grimor to see how he included a cup holder in his center console and try to work along those lines.

I would like to see the public interest in this as well. Might as well turn it into a business idea :undecided:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I never saw dennis post anymore that what was in that console lid thread on how he did it. I believe it was as easy as pulling the console apart, fill with foam, then cut the hole and drop in the cupholder. Pretty simple really.

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I never saw dennis post anymore that what was in that console lid thread on how he did it. I believe it was as easy as pulling the console apart, fill with foam, then cut the hole and drop in the cupholder. Pretty simple really.

Yeah there were just the pics. Although I hope he replies cause you see I live in KSA so firstly good help is scarce. And so are parts, work materials and tools. Therefore I have to think three, four times before I do something to my TB. And then there's my parents as well. So I try to be 99.99% comfortable with something before doing it. You should have seen my posts for how to install a comp/temp rear view mirror, everyone got tired of me asking questions. :cry:

Anyways back on topic I will try to get hold of a spare console lid or "borrow" my uncles. His is completely finished and try it. :undecided:

Another thing would be to wire the wireless charger in. I like to get some input from more experienced members into how to go about this! :tiphat:

But it does seem to be a promising mod!!

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Thought I would post an update here. Have found a forum in which the poster did the procedure to their Silverado. It makes it a tad easier for them judging by the way their console lid is shaped.

The link is below if it gives someone an idea to apply to our TBs

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/159466-wireless-charger-in-center-console-lid/page-1

In the mean time I am going over the wiring diagrams and photoshopping the console lid for a great custom look.

I will post back my findings and designs and get some feedback from you all :2thumbsup:

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Anyone check out the link yet.....

Funny thing is I have the same wireless charging plate :biggrin: as used by the poster in the above link.

Another thing I am concerned about is the battery draining out if I splice it into the cigarette lighters. Cause my current setup has my Bluetooth adapter and a charging cable running by the cigarette lighter and if I turn my car off and leave they don't turn off unless I remove them from the lighter :Banghead:. I was thinking of wiring the charger into the rear manual AC controls to make it neat and tidy.

Any suggestions :book: ??

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
One of two: Add a relay to the charger that is activated by the ignition switch.

two of two (I have done this): Rewire the fuse for the lighter plugs to switch off using one of these.

8553398.jpg

Reactions: Trkdrvremt

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The other thing is I highly doubt it would run down your battery, particularly if it wasn't charging your phone. I left my dash cam plugged in and running for several days straight (recording my garage door woohoo lol) and it didn't bother anything.

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
One of two: Add a relay to the charger that is activated by the ignition switch.

two of two (I have done this): Rewire the fuse for the lighter plugs to switch off using one of these.

8553398.jpg

I am guessing the picture is a reference to the second part. Btw what is the function of this

The other thing is I highly doubt it would run down your battery, particularly if it wasn't charging your phone. I left my dash cam plugged in and running for several days straight (recording my garage door woohoo lol) and it didn't bother anything.

Hahaha. I think that's true. But my dads car would randomly run out of battery with nothing on if it didn't run for a few days. Better be safe then di sorry right. I Waa thinking instead of cutting up the centre console I could still wire this in. Just that my phone would be flying all over the place.

Love the suggestions coming in and a big thanks to everyone here. Although I don't I'll get around to this very soon. Got my finals in a week or so. But once I finish up I'll have more than enough time to play with the TB

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I am guessing the picture is a reference to the second part. Btw what is the function of this

That is a fuse tap. It has two fuses. One for the original circuit and another for the one you are supplying power to. I used the transfer case circuit, which switches off with the ignition.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Bought 5 for $7 on ebay the other day

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
I really don't check in here much since it stopped supporting tapatalk and I don't get on my laptop all the time any more. Best way to get a hold of me is Facebook or text. I've added wireless chargers to consoles that already have a tray in them, but it wouldn't be to hard to add to a TB console. Someone send me a jacked up console lid and I'll make one.

did a little looking, could put this in the lid and drop a couple coils under it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phone-Holde...Armrest-For-VW-Tiguan-2011-2012-/261491245453 Would actually use 2 and sandwich them together with the coils between em. then would help hold it in place as well.

or just modify this
www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Car-Snack-Tray-Drink-Bottle-Rack-Holder-Mount-Stand-Storage-Organizer-/331852403912

here's your coils
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Itian-...ee-Coils-PCBA-Circuit-Board-New-/272118866278

Last edited:

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I really don't check in here much since it stopped supporting tapatalk and I don't get on my laptop all the time any more. Best way to get a hold of me is Facebook or text. I've added wireless chargers to consoles that already have a tray in them, but it wouldn't be to hard to add to a TB console. Someone send me a jacked up console lid and I'll make one.

did a little looking, could put this in the lid and drop a couple coils under it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phone-Holde...Armrest-For-VW-Tiguan-2011-2012-/261491245453 Would actually use 2 and sandwich them together with the coils between em. then would help hold it in place as well.

or just modify this
www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Car-Snack-Tray-Drink-Bottle-Rack-Holder-Mount-Stand-Storage-Organizer-/331852403912

here's your coils
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Itian-...ee-Coils-PCBA-Circuit-Board-New-/272118866278

I appreciate you taking your time to respond here.
I have a Nokia DT-900 charger already, which has a really good range as it has three coils in it. And if I take the cover off it slims down alot. So the charging coils and all have been taken care off.

https://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/accessory/dt-900/

My "planning" is now on the wiring and placement of the coils on the console lid.

However haven't gotten around to any of these steps as am dealing with my finals. Will get around to it in the summer most probably next month along with a ton of other things to do :yes:. So if you have any ideas on how to get about these two things would be really appreciated.

On a side note I noticed that if I get rid of the plastic at the back of the console lid cover it is a good spot to add the coils. and just screw the plastic back in. Comments would be appreciated

Have a good one :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online