Center Console Lid won't stay shut

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
The other day I needed something out of the passenger door pocket, so I leaned over to get it. The console distorted under my leaning, and now the lid pops open randomly. I pulled it apart, I can't find any obviously loose oe shifted parts underneath. It does look like the lid is half an inch or so to far forward, but when I opened it up the mounting bracket seems firmly mounted.

Any one able to help me out?

04xuv

Dec 3, 2011
Instrumental said:
The other day I needed something out of the passenger door pocket, so I leaned over to get it. The console distorted under my leaning, and now the lid pops open randomly. I pulled it apart, I can't find any obviously loose oe shifted parts underneath. It does look like the lid is half an inch or so to far forward, but when I opened it up the mounting bracket seems firmly mounted.

Any one able to help me out?

check the latch. i took a lighter to mine to bend it, so as to stay latched. for some, this is a permanent fix. not for me. i eventually just removed it and now use velcro on the corners. works great.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
did you break your alignment pin? thats a common failure on the center console lids.. when you lift the lid up, look for the alignment pin next to the lever... if its not there, look down where the front of the lid sits and where the pin would go..

look at the red circle in the pic.. thats what happened to mine that makes it pop open...

View attachment 20897

Attachments

• center lid.jpg
    center lid.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 350

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
Boricua SS said:
did you break your alignment pin? thats a common failure on the center console lids.. when you lift the lid up, look for the alignment pin next to the lever... if its not there, look down where the front of the lid sits and where the pin would go..

look at the red circle in the pic.. thats what happened to mine that makes it pop open...

View attachment 6830

That's what I broke and I'm having the same problem. I need to see if I can find it so I can super glue it.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
07 TB RIDER said:
That's what I broke and I'm having the same problem. I need to see if I can find it so I can super glue it.

Is it in the hole in the console? Thats where mine ended up when it broke.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Me007gold said:
Is it in the hole in the console? Thats where mine ended up when it broke.

:iagree:

thats where mine ended up as well... still sitting there until i decide i wanna fix it :rotfl:

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
The pin was broken when I got the truck, no problems staying shut until the 'leaning' incident. Will super glue hold it long term? Seems like it very likely to break again.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Instrumental said:
The pin was broken when I got the truck, no problems staying shut until the 'leaning' incident. Will super glue hold it long term? Seems like it very likely to break again.

from what i remember on threads from the OS, super glue will not fix it, and it will ultimately break again... only way to truly fix it, would be getting a new one... i have seen some do the velcro approach, etc... and those have seemed to work.. but it doesnt bother me that much, so i just left mine as is..

sLAsh

Jan 26, 2012
Anyone take apart the lid a remove the spring? I was thinking I would rather have to hold it open when getting stuff out than have it pop open on it's own.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
I thought about getting some of those "rare" earth magnets and seeing if there is a way to mount them.

xj2202009

Mar 27, 2012
Porkins said:
I thought about getting some of those "rare" earth magnets and seeing if there is a way to mount them.

My was broken when I got the truck, I used some superglue and some epoxy, and is holding nicely but keeps poping open, I thought of getting one of those magnetic strips, or the round magnets with the whole in the middle and screw them in the inside wall,

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
I put a little heat on it last night and adjusted the catch, after a day it hasn't popped open. Here's hoping!

Slugger89

Nov 20, 2011
I had mine break on me about two summers ago and have noticed that it only pops open when it is fairly hot out. I'd guess 70 degrees and higher. And in the winter months, just about never pops up. Gets annoying in the summertime so I plan on replacing it soon...

4angels

Dec 4, 2011
Our's had been broken for 2 years. A month ago I used some gorilla glue on it and it is hold well! However, now the lid squeaks when leaned against as the plastic is rubbing together! So, a few felt dots on the corners and that too will be fixed.

suburbs

Jan 6, 2012
+1 for velcro. Only took 2 broken latches for me to switch over.

One less part to chase down at the salvage yard now.

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
I posted this somewhere else but I'm on my ph and to lazy to retype my post do I just copy and pasted.

I did a center consul mod/ repair. I know there's a few folk that have broken the little tab and it just pops open so I figure I'd try to fix it since i don't want to buy a new one just yet.

Not quite as clean as I had expected since I had to improvise but it will get the job done for a while.

6216952f-d8a0-2b0f.jpg

6216952f-d8b2-6fa6.jpg

6216952f-d8c1-0dc8.jpg

6216952f-d8d3-2927.jpg

6216952f-d8e3-0361.jpg

YOUNG

Dec 4, 2011
i had more of a problem of theplastic parts beingbroken inside the console lid..
Mine was all broken though.. and i used Industrial strength velcro, and now it stays shut, and you must pull to get it open.
Many girls havent been able to open it.. :raspberry:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Instrumental said:
It does look like the lid is half an inch or so to far forward

I had the same problem with mine. There were some plastic welded parts that came apart which made it so that the back of the lid wouldn't sit down/back far enough.

b5cbb618.jpg

So, where they were broke, I ran some small coarse thread screws up from underneath and it's been smooth sailing since.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I added a folded piece of cardboard under the latch which pushes it down more and holds the door shut. Acts like a spring. My latch has a broken tab and holding only by one screw but this works for me.

Laynlow02

Apr 28, 2012
Mooseman said:
I added a folded piece of cardboard under the latch which pushes it down more and holds the door shut. Acts like a spring. My latch has a broken tab and holding only by one screw but this works for me.

I did the same thing. It's been holding for about 6 months and you can't see it unless you open it and look for it... :thumbsup:

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
Tried to do the cardboard and lighter. Ended up getting heavy duty velcro and placed them on the point where the lid meets the console. Holding up pretty well. :smile: and why couldn't chevy make a better interior :frown:

Jimbo052

Feb 29, 2012
A while back, my lid was cracked to hell, and the post was broken off. I took it completely apart and I used Gorilla Glue with some scrap plastic (like from a plastic binder) to reinforce it. I was very generous with the glue and applied it in stages over a few days. Overall, it was like a half an hour of work which resulted in a rock solid lid. The post hasn't even broken off. :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher