Center console lid latch

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Two screws. What could go wrong. Turned in to a PITA. Removed screws and attempted to remove the little plastic latch. The lid inner liner flexed a bit and was finally able to pull it out but would not go back in. Had to pull all items from the box, remove 6 screws to remove box because the back lip of box was 50/50 over the top of the middle 7mm screw that held down the front part of the lid hinge. Then disassembled the lid screws and found the "locating nubs" that lined up the latch piece. Got it all back together and the lid would not close square to allow the latch to align with the hole where latch closed at. Had to loosen all 6 of the hinge screws and wiggle to just the right spot and then re-tension and now can just give a slight nudge to the lid and it closes and latches easily. Two screws turned in to 16 screws. But, it is "By-God" done!!!!!!

I can't wait for her to take off to Seattle for the Mother's Day weekend so I don't have to think about what to do next to that TB.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I just cut the spring so the lid stays closed. No need for a latch :smile:

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
It was actually pretty easy but the PITA part was one screw led to another. Ratcheting screwdriver with a Phillips and a 7mm.

Reactions: webshark3

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
There is a misunderstanding here. The lid was not popping up under spring tension. It just would not latch. You could pull it up without popping the latch. That bothered me. Now, you have to pop the latch to get cover up.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I just cut the spring so the lid stays closed. No need for a latch :smile:
Now thats an Idea.. My 9-7x wont stay closed.. Had not even thought about that.

Reactions: movietvet
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Are y'alls lids not latching 'cause ya snapped off the alignment pin? After the last time mine snapped off I affixed it in place with glue and drove a screw through it from the back (after removing the armrest cover). 10x stronger than factory and haven't had a single issue since.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Alignment Pin?

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
"What in the name of the Wide Wide World of Sports, is goin' on here"?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There is an alignment pin that aligns the lid to the lower part next to the latch. They usually broke very early in life and is just left with a hole in the lid.

As far as I can tell, no newer vehicles have spring loaded console lids anymore.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I do see the hole next to the latch in the upper lid but nothing there to guide the lid and fit in the hole. So, I have an "unsatisfied" hole in the lid.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Here you see it:

51680jDLLRL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

It always breaks because the driver puts sideways pressure while leaning or getting in and out of the truck.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
And without that pin, the latch mechanism doesn't line up properly and fails to hold the lid closed. It also eventually breaks from increased stress. Most people glue it back on after it breaks, but it will keep breaking. The last time mine broke, I glued it and also installed a very thick tapered screw and washer from the back to reinforce the pin. It's been solid for years. My latch works like factory.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And there's also Velcro that works

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Here you see it:

51680jDLLRL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

It always breaks because the driver puts sideways pressure while leaning or getting in and out of the truck.
I found this today on ebay and wish I would have gotten it because it comes with the latch I paid $8 for. It is a small 2.5" square breakout that she never touches with her elbow but I do when I get in because of my size. Oh well, it latches now just fine.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
That explains why the one in the Envoy works perfectly, it still has the pin. The one in my Saab, the one that wont stay closed doesnt.

Sqrly

Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
I glued in high-strength magnets. Gave up on trying to replace the latches.
This is an interesting idea.

If you tear apart an old 3.5" Hard Disk Drive there are 2 super magnets in them.

I mean DANGER you'll pinch skin off if your not careful super strong magnets!

You can remove them from the frame parts with a chisel and they are plenty strong enough to hold the lid closed without actually touching.

DO NOT let them touch! Be very careful if you handle these magnets as they can cause injury.

I know I said it already but unless you've actually handled these you underestimate how strong they are.

HDD magnets.jpg

Note: The disks make good toys for the kids. They are perfectly round, super smooth and shiny, and they make a perfect high pitched ding sound when hit.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online