Catalytic Converters

alan2112drums

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
I must replace my catalytic converter and wanted to know if my 5.3 V8 uses the same part as the I6 4.2? Also, does the Chevy 1500, Silverado, Avalanche, Yukon and Suburban use the same part as the Envoy 5.3 V8?

Thanks

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Not the same part as the 4.2. The 5.3 has two cats which are part of the Y-pipe connecting the two banks of cylinders into one exhaust pipe where the 4.2 only has one due to its one bank of cylinders.

Reactions: Capote

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
You could get universal fit cats of the right size and have them welded in place of the old ones. It may or may not come out cheaper but no guarantee on that. Not sure whether others use the same part. There is a good chance the Y pipe is the same across the platforms but no guarantee.

Are both bad? What are your symptoms?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
With the V8's if one clogs/goes bad, you have to replace both because of how they are on the Y-Pipe. Unless of course you fab up your own and cut the factory y pipe,etc... Had to do both on my SS twice already (covered by the factory 8yr/80,000) where only one clogged but still hindered performance and made CEL come on.

First time my cats were bad it just made my CEL come on but performance was normal.

2nd time when that new set went bad, the one cat clogged and actually affected my trans shifting and bogged the truck down tremendously.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online