Catalytic Converter?

CookieMan12

Original poster
May 11, 2012
I believe my catalytic converter is going out. Doing research, all the ones I have found were 49-state emissions CATs. When I called the muffler shop to ask what they would charge to install it, he said that I had to have the low emissions CAT (California) or I would get a check engine light. Anyone know this to be true or false? Doesn't make sense to me, because all I find are 49-state models.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
Sounds like horse poop to me. If you don't live in Ca., you don't need it.

Me thinks they want to sell you a more $$ cat.

Try a different shop, or order your own from a place like Rock Auto and have local garage install it. Make sure you get a "direct fit" unit.

Eastern Catalytic make pretty decent units.

Eastern Catalytic Direct-fit Converters - Eastern Manufacturing

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Come to think of it, a few years back the vehicles were either setup from the factory with federal emissions and some with CA emissions. Do they still do that? That would be the only reason I could see for you having to worry about a CAT kicking a code for not being CA legal. But then again, I am not even sure if back when they did that if you would get a CEL from a non-CA cat, might have just been in the tuning of the PCM.

CookieMan12

Original poster
May 11, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Not sure if there is enough room up in there for a plasma torch. So you might as well get a universal magnaflow for about $69. Since you will be taking the whole assembly out you can save some cash.

These "direct fit" models are bolt-ons, aren't they? :confused:

CookieMan12

Original poster
May 11, 2012
McGMT said:
Come to think of it, a few years back the vehicles were either setup from the factory with federal emissions and some with CA emissions. Do they still do that? That would be the only reason I could see for you having to worry about a CAT kicking a code for not being CA legal. But then again, I am not even sure if back when they did that if you would get a CEL from a non-CA cat, might have just been in the tuning of the PCM.

I know what you are saying, but how can someone make that determination on the phone? I think dude was just full of $#!T!!!

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
CookieMan12 said:
I know what you are saying, but how can someone make that determination on the phone? I think dude was just full of $#!T!!!

Well, yea, that part didn't make it into my head haha. Yea, full of it.... Im gonna agree with ya there.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online