Catalytic converter salvage value??

AbsoluteZero

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
I replaced the cat. converter on my '95 S10 because the interior matrix had come loose and rattled at low rpm. Rather than toss the old converter in the land fill I called a local salvage yard attempting to get an idea of the salvage value of the old unit. Couldn't get much of an answer.....
Anyone have "real world" experience of the salvage value that narrows it down closer than $2 - $80? It will cost over $5 in gas to drive to the salvage yard.

havie22

Dec 4, 2011
Hey you may end up with the same problem if you get one from the salvage yard! Just buy a new one!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
havie22 said:
Hey you may end up with the same problem if you get one from the salvage yard! Just buy a new one!

Not what he was asking at all.

Salvage value of a Cat....I have heard about $10 bucks a lb for stainless convertor.

havie22

Dec 4, 2011
My bad sorry! I misunderstood too early! Lol

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I expect you would have better luck on CL.
Someone in a bind that needs one won't care if it rattles a little as long as it works.

Jeeps are notorious for having rattling Cats. I've never tried it but I read you can put a sheet metal screw in the side and it will stop the rattling.
Like I said I have never tried it.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
A quick Google search says up to $400 because of the platinum in them.

A scrap metal dealer would be a better place to call.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
We had a run, a couple of years ago, of people crawling under cars -- middle of the night-- and cutting out the cat; because the salvage price was so high.

It seems to have stopped, cops must have got the word out to the yards.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
RayVoy said:
We had a run, a couple of years ago, of people crawling under cars -- middle of the night-- and cutting out the cat; because the salvage price was so high.

It seems to have stopped, cops must have got the word out to the yards.

I'd forgotten about that.

There is even a cat locking device available. Kind of like a steering wheel lock with cables.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
I'd forgotten about that.

There is even a cat locking device available. Kind of like a steering wheel lock with cables.

I'm sorry, but if they have something to cut the cat off.... what makes you think they cant cut through a few god damn cables...

catclamp-maxx.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online