Catalytic Converter Choice?

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
I have a non-performing catalytic converter. This was confirmed by MAY03LT graphing the output from the O2 Sensors using a GM Tech II tool. Thanks MAY03LT!!!

Question is which direct fit catalytic converter should I use? I found these two Magnaflow converters, both direct fit bolt on. The dealer quoted somewhere around $600 - $700 for the part. Any insight on reviews or experience with these CATs would be appreciated.:thumbsup:

Magnaflow 23967: $224, Non OEM Grade

Magnaflow 49191: $375, OEM Grade converters are specially formulated with a heavier wash coat and loaded with twice the amount of precious metals (platinum, palladium, rhodium) to provide a much stronger coverage.

OEM Grade is recommended for vehicles that have:

• High Mileage:eyebrowhuh:
• History of Check Engine Lights
• Gross Polluters
• California Emissions Equipment Outside of California

tbuckalew14

Nov 20, 2011
I have no experience in changing the cat on the tb...on the jeep we went with a non oem magnaflow. We only had about 60k miles on the jeep...no issues after putting the magnaflow one on.

Just be sure to not toss your old cat away. You can probably get an easy 50-60 bucks for the metals inside.

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
tbuckalew14 said:
I have no experience in changing the cat on the tb...on the jeep we went with a non oem magnaflow. We only had about 60k miles on the jeep...no issues after putting the magnaflow one on.

Just be sure to not toss your old cat away. You can probably get an easy 50-60 bucks for the metals inside.

Cool. Thanks man. I got like $80 from my wife's Hyundai's catalytic converter, when I replaced the old one. Took some effort though, I had to cutoff the exhaust manifold before they would take it.

I'm going to order the non OEM one today. Also, need to get some new bolts and nuts, I wonder if they come with the cat?

tbuckalew14

Nov 20, 2011
mubai said:
Cool. Thanks man. I got like $80 from my wife's Hyundai's catalytic converter, when I replaced the old one. Took some effort though, I had to cutoff the exhaust manifold before they would take it.

I'm going to order the non OEM one today. Also, need to get some new bolts and nuts, I wonder if they come with the cat?

Mine did not come with nuts and bolts. I also had to buy a new gasket.

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
tbuckalew14 said:
Mine did not come with nuts and bolts. I also had to buy a new gasket.

Why wouldn't they come with nuts and bolts? Oh yeah, because you need them! :hissyfit:

I'll pickup a gasket too. Just on the front or is there one for the back?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
mubai said:
precious metals

yeah yeah PRECIOUS METALS, glorious PRECIOUS METALS:wootwoot:

I hope you follow up if you go the aftermarket route, it would be nice to offer an alternative to OEM that actually works.:yes:

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
MAY03LT said:

I hope you follow up if you go the aftermarket route, it would be nice to offer an alternative to OEM that actually works.:yes:

Already ordered. Read "1" review where it worked and haven't heard anything bad about MagnaFlow....so I'm hoping for the best. Just need to figure out the sizes for the bolts and nuts.

I think I'm going to SeaFoam, then oil change before I put the new CAT in.

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
MAY03LT - this is for you, listen at 1:42. :rotfl:

[video=youtube;rmtFp-SV0tY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmtFp-SV0tY&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Should I replace one or both O2 sensors while I'm doing this?

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
MAY03LT said:

Ok, finished installing the new cat and i started the truck up and no SES light! :wootwoot:

Went for 10 mile test drive and no SES light!:wootwoot:

Checked codes...no codes! :wootwoot:

Don't laugh, but it took me 10 hours to do:frown:, including lunch dinner and couple of trips to the parts store. At least I did it on my own.

I've got lots of tips for people who want to do this.

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
mubai said:
Why wouldn't they come with nuts and bolts? Oh yeah, because you need them! :hissyfit:

I'll pickup a gasket too. Just on the front or is there one for the back?

This nuts were 3/8 inch with shoulders. The gasket came with my cat. :yes:

tbuckalew14

Nov 20, 2011
Glad to hear it went well. Ours took a lot of time also...Eventually we just brought out the cut off wheel. After it was off we realized there was no gasket in the box and of course none of the dealers of part stores had it in stock. So the jeep sat in my brothers driveway for 3 days.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
mubai said:
Ok, finished installing the new cat and i started the truck up and no SES light! :wootwoot:

Went for 10 mile test drive and no SES light!:wootwoot:

Checked codes...no codes! :wootwoot:

Don't laugh, but it took me 10 hours to do:frown:, including lunch dinner and couple of trips to the parts store. At least I did it on my own.

I've got lots of tips for people who want to do this.

Sweet! It's weird that you posted this today because I worked on the video today. Did you clear the codes after the replacement? And did the catalyst monitor run/pass? I think your scan tool can read I/M monitors.

And congrats on the repair, nothing beats doing it yourself and saving!:thumbsup:

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
MAY03LT said:
Sweet! It's weird that you posted this today because I worked on the video today. Did you clear the codes after the replacement? And did the catalyst monitor run/pass? I think your scan tool can read I/M monitors.

And congrats on the repair, nothing beats doing it yourself and saving!:thumbsup:

I didn't clear the code. When I started the truck up, there was no SES light and I checked to see if there were any residual codes, but nothing showed up. My scan tool only tells me if there are codes and what they're related to and allows me to clear codes.

Is the video up?

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
1000 miles since installing the Cat and no SES light. Also, I passed my PA State Inspection and Emissions tests. So it looks like this magnaflow cat works well on the GMT 360.

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 4
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 4
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 3
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 3

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
OK, I checked with two places and got pricing for my old catalytic converters:

Recycle Metals Corp
Philadelphia, PA
Envoy - $0 - because it was cracked on the inside
Elantra - $20 - I declined and thought I could get more elsewhere

Maryland Core Recyclers - Catalytic Converters
Baltimore, MD
Envoy - $55:smile:
Elantra - $100:eek:

Obviously, I went to the one in Baltimore. I have a client in Baltimore, so it was just a couple mile detour to get this done. I sent them pics of the cats and they gave me a quote back via email. Really easy process.

tbuckalew14

Nov 20, 2011
mubai said:
OK, I checked with two places and got pricing for my old catalytic converters:

Recycle Metals Corp
Philadelphia, PA
Envoy - $0 - because it was cracked on the inside
Elantra - $20 - I declined and thought I could get more elsewhere

Maryland Core Recyclers - Catalytic Converters
Baltimore, MD
Envoy - $55:smile:
Elantra - $100:eek:

Obviously, I went to the one in Baltimore. I have a client in Baltimore, so it was just a couple mile detour to get this done. I sent them pics of the cats and they gave me a quote back via email. Really easy process.

Nice. That's a huge price difference from philly to baltimore.

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
tbuckalew14 said:
Nice. That's a huge price difference from philly to baltimore.

might be the business too. the philly guys are into truckloads of scrap weighed and paid on the spot. the baltimore guys are heavily into autoparts, so that could be the determining factor. either way, nice to offset some of the new cat cost.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Precious metals are precious:cool:

Nice pics! Kinda cool how we saw the failure without cutting it open.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.