Carlisle ATN Aug 1-3, 2014......who's in?

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I talked to the wife and she is all about the trip. I just need to get someone to swap me weekend shifts at work and we will be good.

Looks like Carlisle, PA is only 74 miles from me :wootwoot:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I'm down. For you guys that have talked to me outside of the site about Carlisle, here is the place to talk about it. We're open to ideas to get the participation back (within reason - we can't do anything about the price of gas or the date of the event or similar things that are out of our hands). Like smitty said, what's it gonna take?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
I'm pondering it. It's a four-hour drive for me :rotfl: but at least it's a weekend thing so I'd be more likely to have it off. My truck isn't exactly show-worthy so it can hide somewhere, I just want to see all the cool stuff and chill with my GMTN brothers and sisters (please let there be sisters coming along too if I go :rotfl:)

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
MAY03LT said:
I'm down. For you guys that have talked to me outside of the site about Carlisle, here is the place to talk about it. We're open to ideas to get the participation back (within reason - we can't do anything about the price of gas or the date of the event or similar things that are out of our hands). Like smitty said, what's it gonna take?

Can you turn water into gasoline???:biggrin:

IllogicTC said:
I'm pondering it. It's a four-hour drive for me :rotfl: but at least it's a weekend thing so I'd be more likely to have it off. My truck isn't exactly show-worthy so it can hide somewhere, I just want to see all the cool stuff and chill with my GMTN brothers and sisters (please let there be sisters coming along too if I go :rotfl:)

We once gave an award for the dirtiest truck.:rotfl:

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Ghoster said:
Can you turn water into gasoline???:biggrin:

We once gave an award for the dirtiest truck.:rotfl:

I still have the cracked front bumper cover (layoff season kinda doesn't help), some sort of clickety-clackety noise as I drive (scales linearly with speed, suspect TC) and a failing wheel hub. It'll hide, thank you very much :rotfl:

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
IllogicTC said:
I still have the cracked front bumper cover (layoff season kinda doesn't help), some sort of clickety-clackety noise as I drive (scales linearly with speed, suspect TC) and a failing wheel hub. It'll hide, thank you very much :rotfl:

Always need a truck to pick on. Don't worry, I went to Carlisle in a Honda and survived!:lipsrsealed:

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Ghoster said:
Always need a truck to pick on. Don't worry, I went to Carlisle in a Honda and survived!:lipsrsealed:

Perhaps by August I'd have that stuff all sorted out, who knows, lol. My financial setup is.... interesting, to say the least, which complicates matters. I need to get everything switched around but it's going to be a pain to coordinate.

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
My drive is four hrs. Its not a popularity contest, its a fun time with like minded people. We've had people missing body parts. And someone is always willing to help with mods or repairs. I never mind getting dirty to save somebody a few bucks. If I have time, I will look into alternative hotel options. Iirc, hotel Carlisle wasn't really worth the investment.

I will also be approaching vendors for freebies, and I have something in store from my business that should gain some interest.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
I guess I'm still in buckle-down mode with my thinking, really my hours should pick up fairly well before then and maybe I can save up. I'd at least want the wheel hubs probably done, and maybe look into that click clack before I set myself in 100%. Don't want to be stranded :rotfl: I guess I get... whatever it is when I'm pretty far from home. Like that fear like something bad will happen and I can't make it back. There's some word for it and I'm too lazy to Google but it doesn't mean I'm 100% staying out, I am definitely interested!

I guess I'm just still upset that my ride looked fairly good and now it's got that crack (and missing air dam, busted bumper bracket, bent running board bracket, chipped plastic oil pan skid) lol.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
While I cannot say we all do it, most of us members have ridden around with a significant flaw or two that drives us mad. Eventually we get them fixed. My issue this winter has been the fact that it has been dirty for 4 months. I rinse the salt off here and there but I usually try and keep it clean.

I haven't even checked the time yet, I think it is about 5-6 hours for me. Depending on our financial situation in the coming months and the wedding I might try and make it this year.

Charley12

Mar 23, 2013
Its a big drive for me, but I'll be there with my Ground Level Ohio crew. I may ride the bike though. We shall see

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Hmmm...500 miles each way.:confused: 15hrs travel total.:biggrin: Probably $250 in fuel.:lipsrsealed:

Would love to make a return trip:thumbsup:, but this will take some financial and wife convincing:eek:. Not sure which is tougher...:wink:

ssmedt

Dec 8, 2011
I wonder if an 18 month old could handle a 11 hour drive:undecided:

The wife has been wanting to do this trip but Carlisle has not been like it was in a while if there is enough interest this year it might be worth a weekend trip

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Word on the street is that some local hotels are already low on rooms/booked for that weekend.

Semi-related - I was reading some reviews of the Hotel Carlisle and apparently it is even worse now.:eek:

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
MAY03LT said:
Word on the street is that some local hotels are already low on rooms/booked for that weekend.

Semi-related - I was reading some reviews of the Hotel Carlisle and apparently it is even worse now.:eek:

Word on the street is you're converting your cargo area into a nice little tent for you and one (un)lucky snuggle buddy. :rotfl:

I'm looking up reviews. Looks nice out front, now to see the meat of the review. Can't be any worse than my brother, getting a room in China and finding a duffel bag stuffed with sex toys (including a blow-up doll with Hilary Duff's face screened onto it).

Update: This is some good stuff.

...I would rather stay in a dumpster than in this hotel for the night. This place would be horrible even for livestock such as cows or horses. Chickens would enjoy it because they can walk around and eat all of the food that has been on the floor for days... ...Stayed March 2014

The professional photos on tripadvisor obviously look nice. The traveler photos are hilarious. Outdated and missing fire extinguishers, rusty faucets, mold and mildew... aww yeah, sounds wondrous. And there's a review (the March 2014 one) saying their U.S. flag is showing visible signs of mold in the pool area and they aren't doing anything about it. So my advice is, get photos of that and turn them in for being traitors? :rotfl:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
MAY03LT said:

Is there a plan for which hotel everyone will be staying at? I have never been, is there any recommendations for a hotel? It would be nice for all of us to stay at the same place, after leaving the fair grounds, head back to the hotel and bull$shit and smash some beers :thumbsup:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I looked into hotels around Harrisburg as it is only a short drive. Wish I still had the camper, have stayed at some awesome camp grounds in PA (Hershey KOA is a dump btw).

Still up in the air at this point.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
IllogicTC said:
Word on the street is you're converting your cargo area into a nice little tent for you and one (un)lucky snuggle buddy. :rotfl:

Where would I put my woofers?:biggrin:

IllogicTC said:
I'm looking up reviews. Looks nice out front, now to see the meat of the review. Can't be any worse than my brother, getting a room in China and finding a duffel bag stuffed with sex toys (including a blow-up doll with Hilary Duff's face screened onto it).

Update: This is some good stuff.

The professional photos on tripadvisor obviously look nice. The traveler photos are hilarious. Outdated and missing fire extinguishers, rusty faucets, mold and mildew... aww yeah, sounds wondrous. And there's a review (the March 2014 one) saying their U.S. flag is showing visible signs of mold in the pool area and they aren't doing anything about it. So my advice is, get photos of that and turn them in for being traitors? :rotfl:

I read a couple of reviews that mentioned mold. And I guess from the last time we stayed (2012) it changed owners again and they let it go even more then the previous owners. I didn't mind taking apart the a/c unit to fix it from rattling, I didn't mind the 5' shower heads, or their DIY aluminum foil registers, but mold, hell to the no.

dmanns67 said:
Is there a plan for which hotel everyone will be staying at? I have never been, is there any recommendations for a hotel? It would be nice for all of us to stay at the same place, after leaving the fair grounds, head back to the hotel and bull$shit and smash some beers :thumbsup:

There's no plan as of yet. I've never stayed anywhere outside Hotel Carlisle so I'm just going by reviews. I made a reservation out near Harrisburg but I'll change it if we all can agree on a place. When it comes to agreeing on a place, the biggest problem is the cost. Some people would rather get a $80/night hotel and split the room with someone else to keep their cost to $40/night. Some people will pay $160/night. I'd rather stay with the group because when we did the group thing at Hotel Carlisle, we'd hang out outside the hotel after dark, and those nights were priceless.

blazinlow89 said:
I looked into hotels around Harrisburg as it is only a short drive. Wish I still had the camper, have stayed at some awesome camp grounds in PA (Hershey KOA is a dump btw).

Still up in the air at this point.

I was on the fence about Harrisburg mostly because there have been years where the Saturday morning traffic on 11 was backed up for miles. It got better when they started mailing the stickers out after registering.

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I stayed in Harrisburg the first year I went. The room was $50/night and it was about a 20 minute drive to the grounds. Totally worth it in my opinion. Second year I stayed at the hotel Carlisle for the environment, that was also worth it. Both of those elements together would be perfect.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
the last time I was up there we were in agreement hotel carlisle is too expensive for what it is and where it is. I'd think driving an extra 5 minutes and paying half would be worth it. :confused:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
19.5 mi, 24 mins
In current traffic: 26 mins

The address for the showfield is 1000 Bryn Mawr Rd, Carlisle, PA. In google maps the icon that pops up is right near gate 3 which is the one we use.:cool:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
MAY03LT said:
19.5 mi, 24 mins
In current traffic: 26 mins

The address for the showfield is 1000 Bryn Mawr Rd, Carlisle, PA. In google maps the icon that pops up is right near gate 3 which is the one we use.:cool:

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I say we go with the hotel May03 suggested as long as everyone is on board.

Still need to figure out who is coming, what everyone is bringing, and where we are meeting. What does it take for GMT Nation to get a tent/area?

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
dmanns67 said:
What does it take for GMT Nation to get a tent/area?

It takes money, a certain amount of members to show up, and the middle finger of a first born son of a gmt360 owner.

I will look in to it.:cool:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Hey we're in the system now:wootwoot:

Attachments

• carlisle.jpg
    carlisle.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 72

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I was in a few of those pictures. Good times for sure! I would love to make the trip back, it is all going to revolve around money for me.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
And this year at Carlisle, May will be demonstrating his DIY dash light repair technique.

Attachments

• IHopeHisGloveboxisFullofSpareBatteries.jpg
    IHopeHisGloveboxisFullofSpareBatteries.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 62

ssmedt

Dec 8, 2011
MAY03LT said:
100_1071.jpg

This one time, at Carlisle, BO TIE SS did some re-wiring to my TB.:cool:

Looks like the quad headlight mod :cool:

Ghoster said:
It takes money, a certain amount of members to show up, and the middle finger of a first born son of a gmt360 owner.

I will look in to it.:cool:

Would be awesome to get our old spot:yes:

Never know what parts you will find in the swap meet area
detroitandcarlisle2009062.jpg

Everyone is always willing to help with mods
detroitandcarlisle2009048.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online