Cardone Select CV Axle Quality Gone Bad??

mightymx69

Original poster
May 12, 2018
NC
Has anyone experienced the quality of the boots on the CV axles of the Cardone Select's gone bad? When I first lifted my '02 GMC Envoy in 2010, I replaced both axles with the Cardone Select 66-1345 axles from RockAuto. One of the two finally failed in May of this year after 59k miles, so I replaced both with the exact same axles, only difference is I purchased these two off Amazon. Everything was identical when I received the parts. This time, the boot on BOTH axles split after just 4,203 miles (7 months)!!!

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm afraid to put back in Cardones now! Has anyone installed Detroit axles?

Thanks in advance for your time, Chad.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I have not had any experience with Cardones, however the general sentiment around here is they are crap and anything else will be better. My driver side CV joint is going to need replacing, so I've been doing some reading of own around the forum. I'll most likely be going with Detroit Axle, they are a pretty reputable brand and for the price you can't go wrong.

Reactions: mightymx69

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Those Detroit Axle assemblies are re-manufactured. So it's going to be down to the quality of the boots they source. Lifting changes the angles your CV boots work at and speed up the demise of OEM style boots and bearing joints due to extra binding they go through. Depending on how pliable the boots are will dictate their longevity most likely. Good luck.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I put lots of miles on my Cardone axles on my TB without a single issue. Maybe they've cheapened... but so far the Cardone axle on my Silverado is doing good.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I used cardone once years back on the TB and they were the shittiest boots I dealt with so i never used them again.

Reactions: Capote

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Detroit is the ones I found years back that just worked and worked well for the price. They offer a good warranty program if you have any issues with their stuff as well

mightymx69

Original poster
May 12, 2018
NC
I have not had any experience with Cardones, however the general sentiment around here is they are crap and anything else will be better. My driver side CV joint is going to need replacing, so I've been doing some reading of own around the forum. I'll most likely be going with Detroit Axle, they are a pretty reputable brand and for the price you can't go wrong.
Mike534x
Did you ever go with the Detroit axles? I have not been through two pair of Cardones, both only lasting two weeks before the boot split; I have given up. Curious if the Detroits are any better.

Reactions: Mike534x

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I just ordered a pair for my Avalanche now that the factory ones are shot. There hasn't been too many complaints or anything bad about Detroits parts, but given they have a good reputation I feel comfortable with giving them a shot and the warranty isn't too bad either.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.