Car Seats as a Seat

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Hey everyone,

So I have been pondering this idea for a while. I seem to have a problem with my back and just cant sit for extended amounts of time behind a desk on a chair at all. Even at home I prefer to sit on the ground by the couch and do all my work. However I can sit comfortably in my TB and go through a whole day of driving without any pain in my back. Interesting story is when I travelled to another city a year ago, left early in the morning to the airport in my TB. Flight was in a domestic budget airlines, really bad seats, got a Toyota Yaris as a rental (bad seats), hung out with a friend in his Expedition for quite a while (bad seats), got on the return flight that night home on the same airlines (bad seats). By this time I felt as if my back was completely destroyed, however enter into the TB and ahhh!!!! By he time I got home I couldn't really feel any pain in my back.

So I was wondering if I could get a seat from a TB, or better yet get one from a Yukon with an armrest and turn it into a chair to have in my house ??

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I can't see why not. Find a good one in a wreck. Passenger side would have less wear and foam in better shape. Then just build a stand to be bolted under it.

Will look a bit redneck though.

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I can't see why not. Find a good one in a wreck. Passenger side would have less wear and foam in better shape. Then just build a stand to be bolted under it.

Will look a bit redneck though.

Yep! I really couldn't care less how it looks, compared to the chairs I have in my house it would be a million times better and most importantly 'made not bought'. Good tip on getting the passenger side chair though :2thumbsup:

Reactions: Redbeard

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
We did this at a few shops when I was in the air force. We replace the desk chair with vehicle chairs for the comfort. We unbolted the worn desk chair from the mounting plate on the base and modified the vehicle seat to be mounted to the base.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I have a seat from an Army LMTV sitting in my storage unit. Wanted to make it into a gaming chair, but never happened. Starting to rust now.
00L0L_bsp2N3uUJJH_600x4501.jpg

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
I have thought about doing this for some time with some higher end vehicles such as a Porsche or some Recaros from an Audi or Evo SSL to sell so people would buy them. I always see busted up office chairs thrown in the trash or on craigslist but all you would need to do is unbolt it, seperate, then weld it together. Hell, maybe even add a battery to regain some seat controls if powered and or a wall plugin if a heated seat :smile:

OR you can ball out and get a 750li seat that has massagers in it!!!

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
We did this at a few shops when I was in the air force. We replace the desk chair with vehicle chairs for the comfort. We unbolted the worn desk chair from the mounting plate on the base and modified the vehicle seat to be mounted to the base.

How did they turn out? Any pics?

I have a seat from an Army LMTV sitting in my storage unit. Wanted to make it into a gaming chair, but never happened. Starting to rust now.
00L0L_bsp2N3uUJJH_600x4501.jpg

Maybe time to get a new seat from somewhere :biggrin:

I have thought about doing this for some time with some higher end vehicles such as a Porsche or some Recaros from an Audi or Evo SSL to sell so people would buy them. I always see busted up office chairs thrown in the trash or on craigslist but all you would need to do is unbolt it, seperate, then weld it together. Hell, maybe even add a battery to regain some seat controls if powered and or a wall plugin if a heated seat :smile:

OR you can ball out and get a 750li seat that has massagers in it!!!

There was a Crown Vic seat sitting outside my house. Was skeptic about getting it, until someone else took it :Banghead:. But the idea of BMW seats seems interesting :dielaugh:

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
LOL this was 30 years ago.

Hahah, that's a LONG time ago then, cause I am not even 20 yet :tongue:

But I gotta say I am really looking at getting some TB chairs cause I don't know why but I really love the cushions, they are sooo comfortable

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Hahah, that's a LONG time ago then, cause I am not even 20 yet :tongue:

But I gotta say I am really looking at getting some TB chairs cause I don't know why but I really love the cushions, they are sooo comfortable
My seat isn't comfortable IMO, it's not terrible, but it's not soft for lumbar support. The later year seats seem more cushion-ey..

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
My seat isn't comfortable IMO, it's not terrible, but it's not soft for lumbar support. The later year seats seem more cushion-ey..

I cant say for the older models, but I really love mine the cushions are nice and soft, get good lumbar support as well.

I have sat in quite a few new cars and it feels as if I am sitting on cardboard really

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I cant say for the older models, but I really love mine the cushions are nice and soft, get good lumbar support as well.

I have sat in quite a few new cars and it feels as if I am sitting on cardboard really
They changed from '05 on. Most comfortable I've ever been in was my 1997 GMC Yukon's captain's chair. Talk about comfy!

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
They changed from '05 on. Most comfortable I've ever been in was my 1997 GMC Yukon's captain's chair. Talk about comfy!

Yeah my Dads 05 Yukon has those type of chairs, love them, but I don't think I'd be able to make a chair out of it. Sofas maybe :biggrin:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
As strange as this sounds, my 06 Saab's leather seat is less comfortable than the LS cloth seat. I don't know if it's because the foam changed or that the foam in the Saab has lost its "cushion", I just like the cloth seat better.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Could be wear differences, could also be that cloth just gives more while the leather (or is it pleather, really) tends to be stiffer.

I find the front seat of my Silverado to be quite comfy, more than my TB was. Some initial soft squish to it, yet still firmer underneath for decent support. Feels good man :biggrin:

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
As strange as this sounds, my 06 Saab's leather seat is less comfortable than the LS cloth seat. I don't know if it's because the foam changed or that the foam in the Saab has lost its "cushion", I just like the cloth seat better.

Yeah I'd take cloth seats over leather ones any day for sure

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And with a TB seat, you would have a built-in seat belt for those really dangerous forum discussions :dielaugh:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online