can't seem to clear end link when installing front shock

VILeninDM

Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
I just finished replacing passenger side CV shaft and in the beginning of that procedure, the steps included taking out the shock. I took it out without any problems, but now I'm somewhat baffled because it seems the lower shock mount which connects to the a-arm doesn't clear the sway bar end-link by about 1/4" of an inch (maybe a bit less).

Is there something I haven't thought off to make the front suspension shift a little and let the lower part of the shock get past the end link where it is attached to the sway bar? I tried using the jack to move the a-arm up and down a bit and also tried raising/lowering the other side of the car.

The other option, which I'm probably going to do tomorrow unless you guys can suggest something, would be to remove the end link. I have a feeling removing the end-link will require the use of a cut off wheel more than the use of socket, so I'm hoping to find a less destructive option before I go that route.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i usually just give it a good yank, and the spring perch will rotate enough to clear it. in some situations it helps to disconnect the upper ball joint from the control arm. also, have both sides of the truck off of the ground. if you have weight on one side's suspension, the sway bar will be pulling the opposite side up

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
If your swaybar doesn't go through the frame you can loosen the swaybar mount bolts to drop it some and get some extra clearance. Just an inch or so helps.
As mentioned before, a good yank will also do the job.

VILeninDM

Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
thanks for suggestions guys. Yanking didn't seem to work, so did decide to go with end-link removal approach. Figuring since the end-link is original and the car is 11 years old, might as well replace it too.

That link did not come off without a fight. A hex hole in one of the bolts was so rusted that it was pretty much useless. On the bright side, I got to buy a new cut off tool.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online