Can't Get Rotor Over New Parking Brake

GS_Geoff

Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
08 9-7x 5.3

Parking brake has been iffy and it needed new rear pads and rotors. Picked up a new pair of parking brake shoes at Auto Zone. Installed the left rear first, and I can't get the rotor back on no matter which way I adjust the parking brake.

I have the correct parts, already double checked that. Also tried engaging and releasing the parking brake several times just to see if that did anything, it didn't.

What am I missing?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Are the "pistons" that push the shoes out retracted all the way? Did you take it all apart to clean and lube it? Is the star adjuster wheel turned all the way in?

If the "piston" won't retract all the way, it could be the adjuster in the brake handle. This thread has a lot of info on this system.

Reactions: Reprise and Eric04

GS_Geoff

Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Thanks for the info. I didn't find that thread when I searched. Did the things you mentioned, I'm using a brand new hardware kit and I'll read through that thread today. Currently supposed to rain today and tomorrow.

Also read somewhere on here that the shoes are directional and that one side of the pad is slightly narrower than the other. I didn't see anything that would indicate this on the parts themselves, but I'm also going to try flipping it when it stops raining.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There is one shoe lining slightly shorter than the other on the same pair. One side should have the short shoe in front, the other side to the back. This is so it will grab in both directions when applied. Won't do anything for your issue though.

This FAQ has several threads regarding the parking brake:

• Love
Reactions: 808

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
Check to ensure that the emergency brake lever moves freely and travels well is the slot on the back side of the backing plate... it is not restricted by rust. That will "set" the "minimum throw" that the top of the brake will have (ie. rest position). There may be a problem in the brake cable such that it won't allow the rest position to be achieved. From there, pull out the "star wheel" mechanism at the bottom of the shoes. This sets the "minimum travel" for the bottom point. Ensure that the "star wheel" freely turns and travels to full distance of threading so that it is set at the minimum (threaded all the way in). Check the "fingers" of the "bolt" to ensure they are "bottomed" and that rust is not holding the shoe position wider than minimum. I know from limited experience that there isn't a lot of clearance of the shoes to inner drum of the disc assembly. Also check to ensure that things are relatively centered as such because you have to slide on the disc past the brake shoes while guiding it into the center hub / axle.

Is the problem on both sides (ie. right and left) or just one? If not, or if you have only done one side, check / compare the other side to see if things that you did are "similar".

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I wouldn't be surprised if the shoe material was the wrong thickness. AZ stuff can be a little sketchy sometimes, this happened to me once and I had to trim them down with my belt sander.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online