Can't Edit?

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
I have no idea why, but I can't seem to find an edit button today. Any idea why? I tried Firefox and IE, no luck either way. I am logged in, clearly I could post this thread, I'm so confused!

:frown:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
There was a time limit on the old site, probably on this one as well. It may also depend upon how many new posts are after the one you want to edit.

I've used the "reply with quotes" button and added the correction as a new post in the past.

Upvote 0

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
There is a time limit... once you have submitted your post, you have 6 hours to edit the content, and 2 hours to edit the title.

Upvote 0

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
I don't understand, why a limit?

I want to adjust some photo links, I reorganized my Photobucket account and need to reconnect the pictures.

Upvote 0

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Instrumental said:
I don't understand, why a limit?

I want to adjust some photo links, I reorganized my Photobucket account and need to reconnect the pictures.

Unfortunately, people tend to abuse the ability to edit their posts. It hasn't happened here, yet, but from experience running other other forums, it will happen. Then, it is a huge burden to the staff that has to go around and restore the original content.

What you can do is quote your own post, edit the content, and PM the content to anyone on the staff. They'll take care of editing your post.

If I could just grant you access to edit your own post, I would... but that is a software limitation.

Upvote 0

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Ok, never had that before. I just fixed up some of my posts on another forum, no problem. Never experienced folks trashing their own posts.

It seems a bit paranoid to me, but I'm glad I'm not the one who has to deal with it, just happy to get and try to give some info. Seems like a lot of extra work for you guys, but I'll do the PM thing to fix it up.

Upvote 0

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Instrumental said:
Seems like a lot of extra work for you guys, but I'll do the PM thing to fix it up.
We don't mind. We're always glad to help. :cool:

Upvote 0

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
BO TIE SS said:
We don't mind. We're always glad to help. :cool:

Except when they have to merge your post a lot, then they mind :raspberry::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Upvote 0

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Well, that's interesting.

On several other boards, including Tahoe Yukon Forum - Chevy Tahoe | Tahoe Z71 | GMC Yukon | Cadillac Escalade Forum and forum.xda-developers.com there is no time limits of any kind.
People there use the lack of limits as a build thread, and rom updates thread respectively.

Personally I'm investigating the editing of older posts as a possible method of getting around the low char count signature limits by creating a build thread whereby the original post is always kept up to date so that readers don't have to read through potentially hundreds of pages to fathom the current build status as it progresses over the years.

I would imagine the 6 hour limit is imposed by the owner of this site, not vBulletin itself. I would also imagine that it could be used as a tool to prevent a mass editing of older posts.

Am I correct in understanding that the owners will be agreeable to keep updating the Original Posts for me if I just send them a PM with the updated content?
If so, then I can still create a build thread for myself and the time limit won't affect me. :smile:

Upvote 0

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
06Envoy said:
Well, that's interesting.

On several other boards, including Tahoe Yukon Forum - Chevy Tahoe | Tahoe Z71 | GMC Yukon | Cadillac Escalade Forum and forum.xda-developers.com there is no time limits of any kind.
People there use the lack of limits as a build thread, and rom updates thread respectively.

Personally I'm investigating the editing of older posts as a possible method of getting around the low char count signature limits by creating a build thread whereby the original post is always kept up to date so that readers don't have to read through potentially hundreds of pages to fathom the current build status as it progresses over the years.

I would imagine the 6 hour limit is imposed by the owner of this site, not vBulletin itself. I would also imagine that it could be used as a tool to prevent a mass editing of older posts.

Am I correct in understanding that the owners will be agreeable to keep updating the Original Posts for me if I just send them a PM with the updated content?
If so, then I can still create a build thread for myself and the time limit won't affect me. :smile:

If it is for a dedicated cause, we have no problem allowing members to edit the first post in their own thread. We just can't allow indefinite editing of all posts in all threads. It has proven to be damaging on many sites I've run or managed.

If there is the need for the options described, let's get it worked out. We are doing our very best to make the members feel that this is THEIR community, but we also have to take technical aspects into consideration.

Upvote 0

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Jman423 said:
If it is for a dedicated cause, we have no problem allowing members to edit the first post in their own thread. We just can't allow indefinite editing of all posts in all threads. It has proven to be damaging on many sites I've run or managed.

If there is the need for the options described, let's get it worked out. We are doing our very best to make the members feel that this is THEIR community, but we also have to take technical aspects into consideration.

Yes please to editing the first and SECOND post please.
First one is for my truck, Second one is for my wife's. :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
06Envoy said:
Yes please to editing the first and SECOND post please.
First one is for my truck, Second one is for my wife's. :biggrin:

Due to software limitations, I am only able to offer the first post in dedicated forum sections. If I could offer the second post, I would. But, you could feel free to start another thread for your wife's truck.

I'll work on this as soon as I have a bit of spare time. Keep an eye out for the announcement.

Upvote 0

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.