Cannot put more than 5 gallons in my tank.

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Hi Everyone!

I have an issue with my 2007 LT 4x4. I cannot but more than 5 gallons in my tank. I have a check engine and a code P0442. I know the cannister is shot and full of fuel or a check valve is bad. The earliest I can get an appointment at the shop is next week.

My question is there any work around for this until then? I am a traveling technician and it is a huge pain in the ass to have to put gas in 3 times a day.

Is there a hose that I can disconnect that will let the pressure out so I can fill it or at least put more than 5 gallons at a time? Thank you all in advance for the time!

Respectfully,
George D.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You could disconnect the vent hose from the tank to the canister. I wouldn't fill it though in case there's an issue with your filler valve/overflow/rollover valve.

Two reasons the canister would be full of fuel. Either you've been topping off the tank and overfilling it or the filler overflow valve is broken. I have experienced the latter and it would also puke gas out the filler when filled. That would require the tank to be replaced.

The P0442 could simply be a bad gas gap. You will likely get another code (large evap leak) with that hose disconnected.

Reactions: azswiss and Matt

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online

No members online now.