Can wheels be restored?

l008com

Hobbyist
Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
My truck has those angled 5 star 17" wheels. They're not my favorite wheel design but i got what I got. I was looking around the internet to see if I Could find "new" or like new replacement wheels. And I could on ebay but they are very expensive, generally about $900 shipped, and center caps not included.

So is there a way I can get my existing wheels "restored"? I don't want them chromed, I would want them just restored to like new factory condition. Theres a lot of what looks like corrosion under clearcoat. If such a service exists, how much would I expect to pay for it? If it's reasonable enough, I just might do it. The wheels and headlight lens covers really make my truck look old and worn out.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Sure is. Search on 'automotive wheel restoration' and 'MA' -- you should be able to find shops nearby (I did this, which is why I'm so 'sure' of my answer)

It's a fairly easy process (for them); I've seen it done on automotive shows and the like. You might be able to do it, too (way cheaper), with the right materials. I'll bet YouTube has some vids on it (I didn't check, but I'm *almost* as sure... lol).

A lot of coated wheels are just paint / clear. Others have a rubberized coating, etc., etc.

(on edit: I have no idea what it would cost, but I'm guessing up to $200 / wheel. I got a quote for powdercoating a few years back, and it was about $150 / wheel, in the Chicago area)

If you're interested in having the wheels made black, or a color that matches or contrasts (ick) to your body color -- check out powdercoating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Guru
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Or find another rim from the same truck line that fits..

Looks like is MA, theres quite a few.. (I used Boston as the search point, you didnt specify in your profile)

https://vermont.craigslist.org/wto/7544733066.html <-- I am pretty sure these are GMT360, CHEAP!!

And more.. I didnt even check facebook marketplace

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Master Blaster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I had a set of wheels done for the Caprice in all black powder coating. Really contrasted the white car. Cost me $600CAD 5 years ago. There are shops that specialize in wheel restoration and others that do it as a side gig when powder coating other stuff. And colours are limitless.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfloridino

Members Online

About Us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Secure Browsing

GMTNation.com uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by Sectigo SSL with high-strength encryption.