Can tires have different brands?

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
Dumb question but, I have Michelin and firestone in the front and 2 continentals in the rear, and they're all P235/65 R17. I'll eventually get all 4 brand new, but for now, is it better to have two of the same brand in the front (the continentals) for better balance, steering, braking? Do I need an alignment after rotating the tires?

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Is your truck a 4x4? If so, you need matching tires eventually. Unless you have had alignment work done, there shouldn't be a need to do an alignment just from rotating tires around.

I personally don't like mixing different brands (unless its a spare I had to throw on), so even though they're all the same size, it doesn't equal/same performance or handling due to tread types/tire make.

Reactions: xavierny25

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
As long as they're the same size, it should be fine except if using the A4WD on the 4x4 truck. I know the AWD trucks are sensitive to even the slightest difference in size front to back that would activate the part time AWD. On 4x4 trucks, we don't recommend the A4WD anyway.

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
Mine is RWD because I took the front axles and drive shaft out. I moved the continentals to the front and others to the back. I'm bumping into a new problem now (not sure if it existed before); Front end chirp as the tire spins. The 'chirp' frequency increases with speed but never goes away. I installed new struts but I'm sure I heard one time before on OEMs. Rotors are slotted but rotors and brakes are only about 10 months old. it goes away only when I'm depressing the brake pedal. I took the caliper, greased the pins and the hardware, but it still does it. Wheel bearing is fine when I spin it by hand

Do you guys have an idea what that could be? Brake pedal also pulsates, tried to pull the ABS fuse but nothing changed

Last edited:

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
From what I was taught, Spinning the wheel bearing by hand does not mean it is good since it is not under load at speed.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have a similar chirp but coming from the rear. More like a screeching noise. Only goes away at high speed. I've taken my rear brakes apart multiple times, seems to go away for a while and comes back. I think it may be my u-joints. Hear it mostly with the windows open.

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
I have a similar chirp but coming from the rear. More like a screeching noise. Only goes away at high speed. I think it may be my u-joints. Hear it mostly with the windows open.

Hmm I think I was going 55 mph and could still hear it. I will try to put the old rotors on and see if it goes away.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online