Can this be repaired?

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
(note: This is not my Envoy, but a SWB TB that someone is selling fairly cheap, because of this issue.)

From their ad:
"On the left rear where the rear axel anti roll bar mounts to the car, it has rusted and come loose. It has been this way for awhile and I still drive it every day....but needs a repair. My take is, it needs a welder to attach a plate to the car so that this roll bad can be attached again."

So... me being me, I asked them to take a picture of the area, thinking it might be the area that @Sparky and others have described as unrepairable (around the panhard bar / mount, IIRC). They sent these two pictures back. Let me know your thoughts. I'm thinking it may be too far gone, personally. And it does appear to be near the same area - ?

Vehicle in question: 2002 TB (so, the oddball); SWB, 115,000 mi (and looks it). Green with gray cloth interior. Listed at $1500.00 USD
Other than this, the only thing they list going bad is the CD player (who cares?)

It's located in Michigan. If people are interested, let me know, and I'll post it up in the 'For Sale' section. Or PM me, and I'll send you the link.

1611966501615.png
1611966601582.png

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Thanks for the input. I know almost nothing about welding, and being able to tell from a picture is hard for me. So I figured I'd get some input from folks in the know.

I'll see if anyone else responds tonight, and e-mail them tomorrow.
I also gave out our site name, so maybe they'll show up and ask, themselves.
Seems to me that if they thought it could be fixed, they'd have found someone who could fix it, and cheaper than the $1500 they're now asking for it -? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Looks more like a lower rear suspension arm bracket. Looks like a parts donor to me. Must be just as rotted on the other side and elsewhere. Low mileage, that's all it's good for IMHO.

Why did you call it an "oddball"? 02 is the first year but nothing really oddball about it except the harmonic balancer and 14mm tie rods if it's an early version.

Reactions: northcreek

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
There is nothing that can't be done if you have enough time and money. That being said, PASS, unless you already owned it, then maybe, if you have the time.
BTW, I know where there is a decent Z-71, all it needs is a new frame, and brake lines.

Reactions: Redbeard

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I wouldn't touch it.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
From the looks of the pictures, that's not the only rusty spot on the frame. If you're looking for a project and have the skills to fix it yourself, $25 more than a junkyard would pay.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Ok, guys. Point well made -- and thanks for the feedback. :biggrin:

I'll (tactfully) let them know that info, as well.

Why did you call it an "oddball"? 02 is the first year but nothing really oddball about it except the harmonic balancer and 14mm tie rods if it's an early version.

I remember a post from a long while back proclaiming many differences between the '02 MY and all of its siblings - including wiring. Went back and used the search function, across the site. Didn't find what I was looking for, so then I searched *your* posts, alone, and came up with this (admittedly, a bit of weaksauce, but relevant).

This *isn't* the post I was thinking of (might have been someone else), but if nothing else, I found out you use the word 'oddball' fairly often. Maybe that's why I'm using it more, lately? :laugh:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, that year was the only one that also had the oil level sensor and a drain plug for the rear diff, which were dropped in later years. The first batch of the 4.2 dropped their cylinder liners that were all replaced and there were some minor PCM updates. Can't think of anything else that stands out.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Well, that year was the only one that also had the oil level sensor and a drain plug for the rear diff, which were dropped in later years. The first batch of the 4.2 dropped their cylinder liners that were all replaced and there were some minor PCM updates. Can't think of anything else that stands out.
First generation of new C8 Corvettes is now grenading engines like crazy, when a valve spring breaks and the valve hits the top of the piston. NEVER buy a vehicle in the first year of manufacture. (Not that I will ever be able to afford a Corvette, but it will be nice to see if any 2021 mid-engines show up for track days at the road race course this year.)

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I'm thinking $200 on that or part it out.

I still would like to see a C8 up close. Only seen them driving.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online