Can the On-Star 2G to 5G service loss be avoided?

fixit

Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Austin, TX
Well I received an On-Star blurb in the mail, today. It, in essence, told me that I would loose the anti-theft aspects and cell phone service of my On-Star services. However, I could download their cool smart phone app. I'm not worried about me being stolen, I'm worried about my truck. I have a 2004 Silverado 3500 diesel. Just 6 months ago I had a $4000 lift-gate installed. I live in central Texas and guess what the number one most stolen vehicle is. That's right, I can just feel the suction from the Mexican border pulling it out of my driveway! On-Star Said that the "2G" cell services are going away in December and will be replaced by "5G". Since my truck has 2G, too bad, so sad, your screwed! A possible fix has occurred to me and I wondered if anyone knew anything about this. Could the On-Star 2G transceiver in the truck be replaced by a 5G system and thus solve thew problem? I don't know if it is even possible nor if the cost would be prohibitive, but has anyone heard of anything like this? My truck is important to me, especially now, since I'm just about to finally go build the small ranch that I have dreamed of for fifty years.

Fixit

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
Sorry to hear of your issue but an interesting question just the same. I am sure there is enough difference between the two transceivers, that it would make it very hard if not impossible. to change. Even then, the Onstar service would have to recognize it and authenticate on the network for it to work, kind of like when you get a new cell phone, you just cant buy it and turn it on. Hopefully someone with more insight can help

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
This might also work, and would likely be cheaper, and easier, to install.

They can be had around the internet from 30 bucks up to 500 bucks..

30 buck example

I do not know if its a 4g module, 5g module, etc.

Last edited:

fixit

Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Austin, TX
Thanks, TollKeeper. Sadly, it seems that the add on mirrors have been discontinued. I suspect that they were also 2G. I see where GM vehicles for 2024 will have 5G. It seems like there is an different OnStar communication module for every car out there. What is the main difference, connectoring?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Although they have been discontinued by OnStar, that doesnt mean they arent still useable. The question is, what cell service do they use.

I have read a few articles about getting a Onstar module from a 2015 MY vehicle, and installing it, but I cant see that would work, as the CANBUS has changed, and how it connects to the vehicle..

Not sure to be honest.

At the end of the day, GM doesnt have to offer a upgrade, and think of it as a sales gimmick to say "maybe its time for you to update your old outdated truck for something new". I think the term is planned obsolescence.

fixit

Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Austin, TX
You know what I'd really like to see? A nice new 7 inch touch screen, double din radio with OnStar built in. I guess that OnStar has a lock some technology that is required to work with OnStar services. I have never seen an after market radio, nor any other electronics that can provide connectivity with OnStar.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
GM had been using OnStar as a cash cow.. Then later on they realized it was more costly than anticipated. Technology is never cheap.

I would not be surprised if by 2024/2025 OnStar is completely discontinued in favor for CarPlay/Android Auto integration of some sort.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
What I find interesting is that GM and ONSTAR went thru this some 7 years ago in Canada, and offered a free upgrade for Canadian folks..

Another informative post?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
It appears that will get you to 4G LTE, and include a WI-FI hotspot! Its not cheap thou!

And you may run into a problem of OnStar saying we dont care that you upgraded your module, we still wont turn on your service.. But you never know..

And that module for your truck, part # 23230482, is not cheap!
And it appears to be impossible to find!

Also needed is part # 23242476 and 23242478

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Parts availablity for this "upgrade" started going out of stock at the beginning of the pLandemic.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
A near working alternative, that is cheaper, and transferable to other vehicles..

T-Mobile MySync... or SYncUp. Cant remember the name.

It does not offer Lock-Out or Remote Starting. But apparently everything else?

Dont know much about either system.. Dont like black boxes in my cars..

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
This might also work, and would likely be cheaper, and easier, to install.

They can be had around the internet from 30 bucks up to 500 bucks..

30 buck example

I do not know if its a 4g module, 5g module, etc.

30 bucks to get an Auto dimming mirror is the real bonus here.

Reactions: Ilikemy3s

fixit

Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Austin, TX
Ya know, I haven't pursued this problem much yet, but I have pretty much decided 'to Hades' with OnStar! I went looking for a replacement for it and I think that there may be a way to accomplish that. There is a GPS tracking unit called Trak-4 out there the unit costs about $50 and the annual service to give you a web page costs up to $200 a year, but that's less than I payed OnStar. Now this unit doesn't hook into the CAN network, or anything, so, it cant kill the engine or open the doors and whatever, but that is where my background might come into play. For me designing electronic 'gizmos' is mostly a matter of can I afford it. You can buy GSM cell modules for $10 - $20; even 5G. Come to think about it, full up GPS modules cost about the same. And the world is awash in microcontroller and microprocessor chips. By combining those and a handful of other parts, there is really no reason that I can't concoct a 'black box' that would let me dial up my truck using my stupid-phone, ( I don't like smart-phones), and send commands straight into its CAN bus. It would involve some programming, (which I hate with a passion), and I would need to learn a lot about what can be done by accessing the CAN bus and how. I would have to add another SIM card to our Verison account, but I could do this! Wow! Now I'm psyched!

Reactions: azswiss

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The hardest part for you would be getting the CAN to wake up when you do call it, as it is usually a BCM commanded prompt at key cycle. But very doable.

But couldnt you get the same thing accomplished with a aftermarket alarm with cellular integration. App is already in place, wire in and go.

fixit

Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Austin, TX
Huh! Starting to sound like a small pipe bomb under the driver's seat might be the most effective way to do this! fixit

fixit

Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Austin, TX
Yeah! Dat's da ticket! Or maybe wire the shock collar too the seat. I've got a hell of a good 20 mile fence charger. That'd make their eyes spin in opposite directions.
fixit

Starflare5

Nov 30, 2022
United States
I actually looked into this very issue with a GM/OnStar representative. The somewhat end result was a "no?" The reason I say it that way is because GM actually simply changed out the OnStar modules for Canada on all 2G vehicles, and moved the vehicles into the GDS data-base to diagnose them. However, this also included a firmware update on the modules themselves to correct a speed sensor issue between newer and older GM vehicles. The firmware update is on SPS. I asked if this could be done in the US. Basically, in the end, I got the a lazy answer that they were trying to push me over to an app that goes on my cell phone, however, before that, got quite a bit of insight. Basically GM (after Canada) wants to be lazy on this now and no-longer wants to upgrade modules freely. There are newer 4G modules that still use the same 2G interface with the vehicles. So, technically, my plan is now is to find a newer 4G module from a junk yard. (Tried eBay and it was DOA), put it in my vehicle and perform the Canadian update on it, and see what happens.

Thank you,
Starflare5.

Sandman076

Dec 16, 2022
WASILLA
Yeah! Dat's da ticket! Or maybe wire the shock collar too the seat. I've got a hell of a good 20 mile fence charger. That'd make their eyes spin in opposite directions.
fixit
So a question for you. Have you asked them what would happen if you Purchased NEWER OnStar Hardware and had it installed in your truck and called in and activated it? They also at one time had Options in Canada to have Hardware upgrades! I was Never Ever Offered a upgrade and have paid for OnStar since I Bought my truck in 2008! I am a Bit Upset about them Canceling my Service and offering only a App that I have to Pay $15.00 a month for now.

Attachments

• 60703949-E9E9-45F9-A8D0-90C7E93ACA31.png
    60703949-E9E9-45F9-A8D0-90C7E93ACA31.png
    582.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 9220B7AA-2364-4E4E-B12B-F0830F2D2F25.png
    9220B7AA-2364-4E4E-B12B-F0830F2D2F25.png
    497.3 KB · Views: 6

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher