Can NP126 transfer case be swapped into 2006 Saab 9-7x 4.2L?

teachguy

Original poster
Aug 11, 2019
Detroit
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and hoping to benefit from the collected expertise.
A while back I purchased a used transmission and transfer case for my sister's Trailblazer which only needed the trans. Now I'm trying to sell the transfer case. The tag on it says New Process Gear, Model # 126GM. (I am assuming this is what is known as NP126). Sticker says 60AJ N0BB178055, then AJ over 49666. I don't actually know what vehicle it came out of.

I have a guy who's interested but wants to know if it is compatible with his 2006 Saab 9-7x 4.2l.

Doing a little research, I saw that they sell both the NV126 amd the NV226 for that make and year but I did not see the NP126.

My questions are:
Will it swap in and work for him?
If so, is there anything special he will have to do? (e.g. move certain parts over from the old one, like the actuator, or change out any control components)

I have plenty of experience repairing vehicles but mostly small and midsize cars and none with 4WD or AWD components. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
There were only 2 tcases in these vehicles (not counting the torsen models - basically TBSS and 9-7x Aero): 226 and 126.
I'm concerned that you bought a tcase/transmission combo for a trailblazer and got a 126. Trailblazers were either 4wd(226) or 2wd(no tcase). the NP126 is an AWD tcase and should not have been in a Trailblazer.
If what you have is an actual NP126 then yes, it should go right into a 9-7x 4.2l.
NP and NV are essentially the same thing.
It ~should~ be a direct replacement with nothing special to do - HOWEVER, I am unaware of any year-to-year changes that were made. Best thing to do would be for him to take a pic of the tag/sticker and compare.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The difference between the 126 and 226 is that the 126 is a single speed that is for AWD models (9-7x, Bravada, Rainier) and the 226 is the two speed 4x4 type (TB and Envoy).

As far as NP and NV, tags on the cases say NV but literature say NP, saying it's "New Process". AFAIK, they are interchangeable.

I checked on RockAuto and they're all over the place. They list both 126 and 226 for the 9-7x, which never had a 4x4 TC, and the TB, which never had an AWD TC. So you really have to know which one. For the 9-7x, the 126 is the correct one.

teachguy

Original poster
Aug 11, 2019
Detroit
Thanks for the quick reply. The info was very helpful.

When I bought it, I didn't care what the transfer case was or what vehicle they came out of, I only cared that the transmission was right. Got it from a junkyard and the price was great. She had someone else do the work and it went in and worked fine.

Do I understand correctly that the 9-7x was only made with AWD, not 4WD so as long as it's a 126 it should work, doesn't matter if it's NP or NV?

I have asked him for a pic of the tag. Am I just looking to verify that it's a 126 or is there something else I am looking for?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Do I understand correctly that the 9-7x was only made with AWD, not 4WD so as long as it's a 126 it should work, doesn't matter if it's NP or NV?

Yes on all counts.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.