can i trust the oil life meter ?

Nizar

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
when i used 76 semi oil it came on after 5000 miles then used better oil brand the light came on after 7500 miles so is safe to always wait for the light ??

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The OLM has no idea what KIND of oil you use, but it takes into account environmental conditions (cold starts, etc) and how you drive it. Many owners trust the OLM because the GM engineers depended on it to keep the warranty in effect and they were otherwise very conservative (TM in the PCM, for instance). If you're more conservative than the engine designers, you can certainly change more often, like at 75% or otherwise.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Nizar said:
when i used 76 semi oil it came on after 5000 miles then used better oil brand the light came on after 7500 miles so is safe to always wait for the light ??

Can you trust the OLM? That depends.

Use crap oil and crap filters, and I'd say it's a crapshoot.

Use quality oil and quality filters, and you'll be fine. Do some reading at BobIsTheOilGuy.com to reach your own conclusion as to what "quality" means. I believe the owner's manual even mentions the specific GM specification for engine oil (not just viscosity).

If you do not have a DIC and rely solely on the instrument cluster light, keep track of your mileage, just in case that bulb burns out.

It's also good practice to check your oil level regularly as oil consumption/loss is not measured by the OLM.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Or add a Scan Gauge and program it for the GM oil life monitor. The Scan Gauge does a little better job than the GM driver info center for oil life. The Scan Gauge reads out to tenths of a percent and in colder weather starts you can see the life dropping quicker.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
strat81 said:
If you do not have a DIC and rely solely on the instrument cluster light, keep track of your mileage, just in case that bulb burns out.

It's also good practice to check your oil level regularly as oil consumption/loss is not measured by the OLM.

I glance at all my lights when I start the vehicle to be sure it kicks on for its light test.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online