Can I drive it? AC compressor clutch?

Jayman

Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Hey everyone!
My wife's 02 Envoy was running well, and AC was cold. Last night she said it's only blowing hot air. When I looked at it and engaged the clutch it wouldn't rotate and the was a burning smell coming from the area. I suspect the clutch bearings are gone but not certain.
My question is, can she drive it with the system off, or will it burn up the belt and leave her stranded?
Thanks!

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
It sounds as if the compressor is locked up and not the clutch. if the ac is off does it seem normal? If so it will be fine to drive it. just remove the relay for the ac compressor so you wont have to worry about it being switched on inadvertently. I am pretty sure you can get a belt to bypass the a/c.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
What he said.

Jayman

Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Their is a rattling sound coming from it but the pulley is turning... Thanks guys!

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
My revision of the 5.3 v8 uses a secondary belt for the AC, you can safety remove it and run without it. Check your routing, you should be able to as well. If the bearings are going out then I would be concerned about it locking up and causing the secondary belt to tear up the primary belt, then you would have a problem. I had the same issue and removed the belt.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online

No members online now.