Can high idle RPMs throw a P0171 code?

dlnelsonroca

Original poster
Dec 3, 2014
Cacalote, Oaxaca, Mexico
Hello again! A few years ago my Trailblazer would go at the normal 6,000 RPMs at idel, but the oil gauge would go down to zero, causing the car to stall at red lights. I was having to keep the car reved manually to avoid the stall. So two summers ago I sent the PCM to the place in North Carolina asking them to set the RPMs at 9,000. Since then the oil pressure stays good. But I've been fighting with a P0171 code for a while now, trying all different fixes, and am wondering now if the higher RPM at idle setting could be causing that code. Thanks for your help!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
First, you probably mean 600 and 900 RPM.

Second, upping the RPM to compensate for low oil pressure is either masking the real problem or may cause other problems. Has there been an actual check of the oil pressure? Maybe it was the pressure switch. The oil pressure gauge is fake so whatever pressure you're seeing is a lie and may still be in a lower than normal oil pressure situation.
Trailblazer oil pressure gauge doesn't tell you the oil pressure (4.2L engines) (YouTube)

I would strongly suggest that you investigate the oil pressure issue further before any damage occurs. It can be caused by a faulty switch, blocked pickup tube, leaking pickup tube seal or faulty oil pump and/or pressure relief valve. Lower than normal oil pressure can also affect the VVT system. Just because you have some oil pressure doesn't mean it's the proper pressure without confirmation using a real oil pressure tester.

The P0171 is likely not related and indicates a lean condition. This thread is pretty detailed on it:

And if you need some more reading:

Reactions: xavierny25

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramzo358

Members Online