CAN Bus "Mileage Spoofing" Device Revealed...

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
For anyone purchasing Late Model Trucks and SUVs, it might be interesting for us to be very aware of what is shown in this Video as a CAN-Bus "Mileage Intercept and Spoofing" Device that was apparently removed from a Mercedes-Benz "E" Class Vehicle, but nonetheless is universal enough in its design concepts and application to represent a threat to ANY CAN Bus System. This device seems to be quite capable of fooling a fairly sophisticated Security and Mileage-Odometer Protection Protocol and apply a technique as the means to Alter the Mileage Electronically... 'On The Fly'.

This Nasty Device provides a surreptitious way that most of us might never consider looking out for while trying to get Valid Mileage Information and Background Information on the Vehicles we have an interest in Buying. Knowing that this thing exists, works and is recognizable might prove quite handy in the future if "Things just don't quite add up" or if the Vehicle with CAN-Bus shows signs of any Inexplicable Error Codes related to the Instrument Panel Cluster:

With THIS in Mind... Caveat Emptor (Buyer... Beware)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Very interesting however I'm not sure if this sort of thing would work on GM vehicles since odometer functions are self contained in the cluster itself. If the signal received from the PCM is slowed down to lower the amount of mileage recorded, it would also severely impact the speedometer. This is not to say that they can't be modified since there are a number of cluster reprogrammers available.

Probably one way to counteract this particular device and verify actual mileage is to pull the info directly from the PCM if that's where mileage info is kept.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Wow!
Every time I think I've seen every kind of nefarious trickery - something new comes up. Anytime there's a chance to make a buck, someone will figure out a way.

Reactions: Redbeard

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
It didn't take this much trickery when I was growing up. The odometers only went 5 digits and rolled over at 100,000 miles starting back at mile 1. So the common phrase was "is that original miles" on your truck? Like there are any other type of miles. But my second car I owned was 5 years old and showed 65k miles on the odometer when I purchased it. The owner didn't share the odometer had been "rolled over" and I didn't know to ask either. It probably had 165k miles and totally worn out which as a sixteen year old meant spending countless hours under the hood. Back in the '70's most engines were tired after 100k miles too. I do appreciate how much longer most engines and mechanical items on our vehicles last compared to when I was younger.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online