Can a ignition cylinder be recorded to an old key without the previous ignition cylinder?

Kimmie

Original poster
Jul 21, 2022
Judsonia arkansas
Can a ignition cylinder be recorded to an old key without the previous ignition cylinder?
I have recorded a cylinder before but with a old cylinder in hand as well to take apart to find the code. I was asked by my uncle to code this for him but he drilled out the middle of the cylinder for some reason... Any advice....? So far I have told him I doubt it can be done.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
A locksmith could do it if you provided a new ignition cylinder, with the new and old key.

He can then drop in the keyways to match keys once he disassembles it.

The only downside is that I have personally had experience where the key in the ignition warning no longer works.

Reactions: Kimmie and Mooseman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

The best way to do this is to purchase a Full Set of the Keys to Ignition Cylinder Combo from any GM Dealerships and follow the Instructions documented at the Link below:

If necessary, Your Uncle would have to Pay a Locksmith to Key ALL of the Doors- Rear Hatch Lift-Gate Window, etc. But if all he wants to do is Swap in a New Ignition Key as an EXTRA on his Key Ring... THIS Technique should work... and comes to us here from @Blckshdw:

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.