Cam swap complete!

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
So this has been years in the making and has always been a dream/goal of mine as many of our local members know. To most, a cam swap is just a simple mod thats a no brainer and that they've done within months to the first year of owning the truck. For someone like me, whose owned the truck for 9 years, whose pockets arent deep, who works 2 jobs to make ends meet, and whose been through all the bullshit i have with the truck in going through 4 motors and dealing with all of the dealers bullshit, this is just a bitter sweet feeling for me. If i sat down and calculated all the money I've spent on mods/maintenance through the years, it adds up into the thousands of course. But to spend so much on one mod and all at once. To put my trust in a performance shop after the dealers screwed me. To pray that my stock trans holds up. To decide to spend my hard earned money on such a poor investment... i was shitting bricks to say the least.

First I'd like to thank Kelly at PCMofNC and a dealer for parts, David on FB. In total, it was about 20 emails back and forth with Kelly that ultimately made me decide to go with the V3 cam and I ordered most of my parts from David. Also a special thanks to LT1Z on tbssowners for all of his knowledge and answering PM's/giving me advice when asked. Another Thanks to Rich and Erik at Back Street Performance here in Medina, Ohio for their knowledge in the field, their professionalism as a business, and the ability to make me have faith again that there are people out there that care for your vehicle as much as you do and return it the way you turned it over to them. Last but not least, I have to thank my brother JosueLT on here. His support through the years, his advise, his excitement in sharing this experience with me, helping me drop the truck off, coming with me during the install, helping me pick up the truck, all of the talks & texts thats nothing but truck talk while he's providing for his family and raising his kids... means alot!

Onto the build...

Since i have a crate motor, i was able to get away with some things since its so new (only 5k miles). I didnt need the new timing chain, and i didnt necessarily need a new mellings oil pump (but i got one anyway)

Parts that i bought for the swap... Attitude V3 cam (very beefy cam), Brian Tooley Cam install kit (.660 dual springs, 7.4" hardened pushrods, titanium retainers, locks, seals, '07 conversion, gaskets, bolts, etc...), trunion rocker upgrade, Mellings 10295 oil pump, FAST 33# Injectors, new water pump, 160* T-Stat, new oil pan gasket, and finally the Dyno Tune.

Current Mods not including the cam swap... PCM mail order tune (now a dyno tune after the cam swap), 4" FWI (fender well intake), LS7 MAF, LS1 E-fans, NGK plugs, OBX 1 3/4 Long Tubes, Corsa Sport exhaust, Circle D 3200 stall, PCM Brake duct mount trans cooler, PCM oil relocation kit... now add in the V3 cam, FAST 33# injectors, mellings oil pump, and the dyno tune... COMPLETELY different truck and I am absolutely estatic with the final out come...

Final numbers, 427.9 rwhp and 418.2 ft lbs tq!!!!! I couldnt believe i broke into the 420's considering other local trucks with trick flow heads, bigger stalls/cams, etc... only put down 440's/407's. Just goes to show you, pick someone that knows what they are doing, do your own research in buying the right parts and your outcome will be that much more gratifying

First fire up for us when we picked it up...

Dyno pull, 427.9 rwhp/418.2 ft lbs tq

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
What's your guess on a time for Norwalk mate?

Reactions: Boricua SS

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Congratulations on sticking with it. Glad it turn out as you had hoped.

That thing sounds pretty nasty!

Now we need a track video!

Hey thx man. If I buy my drag radials this year then you'll see a track video. If I'm still on my 6 year old RSA's then I'm sorry no video.

And times Matt... deep into the low to mid 12's. Remember John with the silver SS from Akron? The landscaper? He put down over 440 rwhp and ran 12.2's all day long. With a baby shot of Nitrous, I'll be at my goal of reaching into the 11's.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Sweet!

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Reactions: Matt

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Bad....asss!!!!!!!!!!

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Thx bud. She's come a long way hasnt she...

Reactions: Capote

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Definitely. She is one sexy beast that just got a new mean streak. Cant wait to see it

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Definitely. She is one sexy beast that just got a new mean streak. Cant wait to see it

Got that right. My senses are on high alert right now, but my brother keeps reassuring me that shes a completely different truck that's making completely diofferent noises. Shes back for sure :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online