CAL ERR on 2007 Envoy SLE Radio

LikeEnvoy

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I recently got my heater core replaced by the GM dealer and when I got it back the radio now says CAL ERR. Never did that before.
Also, all the presets were erased. I had to reprogram the presets to my stations.
I looked up on the internet and found it can happen if the radio loses its memory or is mis-programmed by the tech2, so I thought, well, maybe he was testing the HVAC with a Tech 2 and it left the radio erased.
I sent the dealer a link to a youtube video that shows reprogramming the radio to the car with a Tech2 to clear the CAL ERR and he said they would give it a try.

Took it in today but after 2 hours I was told it needs a new radio! He said the tech tried the procedure several times but it would not clear the CAL ERR and, according to their diagnostic chart, the only thing to do is replace the radio.
Well, whatever they charge for that, it's likely not worth it with the age of this car. On the way home though, I now find the volume is only half what it used to be. It was ok even this morning, but now I have to turn the volume up full to get normal volume level.
Also, I'm not sure if the chime for key-in-ignition is as loud as it used to be.
I give up on them.
Has anyone else had this and fixed it themselves? I wish I had a Tech2- I would try it myself. I wonder if they have entered the wrong radio option code and put in the type that needs an amp; that radio, presumably, would only put out low volume before sending to the amp?

Also, if i just replace the radio with a new aftermarket unit will its volume output be independent of the cars programming? Also, will the chimes be at normal loudness with the aftermarket unit?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's possible they screwed up. Wouldn't be the first time. You would think that they would have checked if it was a Bose unit or not and if the wrong calibration was attempted that the TDS software would have failed to load it after checking the check digit.

It's also possible that your radio is defective. You could find a used one and have it reprogrammed to your truck's VIN.

Another possibility is that the wiring to the radio, particularly the data line, has been broken when the dashboard was taken apart. Or something is blocking comms between the radio and BCM for that VIN confirmation. Maybe @TJBaker57 could chime in on how you could check this.

Another solution would be to get an aftermarket HU.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Also, if i just replace the radio with a new aftermarket unit will its volume output be independent of the cars programming? Also, will the chimes be at normal loudness with the aftermarket unit?

If you replace with an aftermarket...
- Volume will be a function of the head unit / any extra peripherals (like an external amp)

- Chimes will be dependent on a 3rd party device (a separate outboard 'box'). Without it, you'll lose the chimes. Both Metra / Axxess and PAC have solutions for this (as well as harnesses that will let you plug right into the GM plugs without cutting the OEM wiring, which we strongly recommend you get, vs. cutting off the GM plugs & doing a hack job with the wiring)

Cheapest solution is probably a junkyard radio (you'll want the same as you have now, whether Bose or not). But it still needs to be programmed into the vehicle by a Tech2 or other high-end scan tool, or it won't work at all. So it'll cost a few bucks, either way. But still cheaper than going aftermarket (unless you've been wanting bluetooth, etc. - if so, look at this as an opportunity)

Reactions: Mooseman

LikeEnvoy

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks for input, Mooseman and Reprise. Yes if @TJBaker57 has an idea to check into the radio it would be good. I like to track down the problem and fix it whenever I can. Mind you, in the long term I think the best fix will be an after-market unit with rear camera :smile:. I'll just make sure anything I choose also has a Metra / Axxess or PAC adapter to keep chimes etc. working.

Thanks again.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
The only thing I see in my manuals tells the technician to reprogram the radio with the ignition ON. Other precursors advise checking for poor wiring connections. That would be my first exersise given the events that led to this present condition.

LikeEnvoy

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
..Just an update for general interest ( I still intend to get an after market unit).
By chance I was sitting in the truck with radio on and ignition off. When the radio power timed out I turned the key on and... the radio display said "BOSE" for a second then disappeared.
I have never seen this before and the radio is the base radio so this supports the idea that the dealer programmed it for a BOSE instead of the base unit. I can't reproduce this all the time but I did a few times . ( I was on an FM station with INFO).
Also, I just noticed that my EQ settings knob now has only Bass and Treble ( as well as Fader and Balance), where before I always had a Mid range setting too.
So I guess these settings are decided by the programmed type of unit.
Oh well. I have seen threads where owners seemed to have different displays and features yet seemingly on the same options and this is probably why. All depends on how the dealer programmed it.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Can you take a pic of your radio. It will be a LOT cheaper to just throw in a OEM radio. I know none of the spare radios I have would work (all BOSE). But I can generally find unlocked radios pretty reasonable.

LikeEnvoy

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I hear you and for interest here it is. Mind you, I already decided that I would like one of those new units with rearview camera and bluetooth connectivity for my phone, so this is a good opportunity to do this.radio.jpg

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
125 which seems a bit steep.

I can find more, but getting ready for a 3 day weekend..

I can find some that are brand new, but amazingly, the BOSE systems are cheaper than non-bose.

If you knew someone with a Tech2, I could easily get that price down to 30-40 bucks, then its just a matter of VIN clearing. I am not sure how far away you are from some of our fellow Canucks that have a Tech2, like @Mooseman .

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I could probably find one at my PnP yard for $15 and program it to your VIN. All dependent on the cost of shipping though, which may be 2-3x the cost of the radio itself as they are pretty heavy. For what it will cost, might as well get an aftermarket HU.

Wait a minute, I have one from my 07 TB since I went to an aftermarket HU. That means there's just the cost of shipping.

Reactions: christo829

LikeEnvoy

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Hey Moose and Tollkeeper- thanks for checking these; I really appreciate it. I think, though, I will go the aftermarket route. The shipping does add to the cost of everything and let's face it, the GM original is lacking compared to today's radios and a new fancy one will breathe new life into the truck!
So a touch screen and MP3 etc with rear camera will be the present I need this year.
I deserve it :smile:

Cheers!

LikeEnvoy

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Just a brief update to finish this thread. I finally got a Pioneer AVH-241EX and installed it recently. Also installed a CoolInt 107 backup camera. Had to do some thorough wiring to make it all neat, and had to cut a piece of plastic out from behind the radio bay, but it all works nicely. The camera is great quality and at $43 is much cheaper than the "cheapest, minimum quality" $100 camera an audio store wanted.The chimes from the interface are actually better than the original GM.
Thanks again to all who helped out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online