CADD & 3D modeling

ChevyTBLover

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Aside from photography, another hobby of mine is 3D modeling. Actually, it's mostly a necessity to my 3rd hobby which is, machining & 3D printing. Way back in 2007, I stumbled upon Google Sketchup. I played around with Sketchup(SU) for a few years until I found Solidworks about a year ago. Been using Solidworks ever since. Its probably my most used program on my computer. When I get an idea, I normally put it into SW and tweak it from there. If your interested in 3D stuff, and ever get the chance to get SW, go for it. It's a pretty easy program to get a hang of. There is a lot of buttons and functions that scared me away for some time, but every model I do it gets easier and easier. Anyway, enough with the talking.

For this model, I took a bicycle brake rotor and started in the middle and worked my way out. Ended up milling the design out of hardboard. The slants did not exactly match up, but they came pretty dang close. I have ordered a slab of aluminum to mill this out of.
rotorlarge.jpg

This model is an air/water nozzle for one of my CNC machines. I ended up 3D printing this out of ABS plastic and it gets used everyday. If I ever get myself a lathe, this will be made.
nozzle.jpg

This one is a 1/10th scale R/C fuel cell accessory that I mill out of pine and aluminum and sell on a couple forums. (surprisingly quite popular in the scale R/C world)
fuelcell.jpg

IMG_7054.jpg

ScreenShot001-1.jpg

Looks like a throttle body, but its a heat vent to my dunebuggy. Thats not the completed design. It has a flap, a spring, and an stop for the cable drive system. ID- 2.163 inches by 3.543 inches. I did 3D print this out of ABS. It works, and will be installed behind my buggy's vents.
vent.jpg

A dust collector, for a 3-axis CNC machine. Just an idea, and will probably never end up making the object. Wont work with my set-ups.
dustshield.jpg

Kairos cross that I received in high school. Have milled this out of maple, stained it and wear it everyday.
Kairoscross.jpg

2 foot wide CNC machine. Idea, if I get enough aluminum, I will probably make this. Instead of rails, it will be with THK slides do to the wideness.
cnc-1.jpg

Old render. A stepper motor driver.
MicrostepDriverCW230.jpg

MicrostepDriverCW230Front.jpg

Not sure what possessed me to reverse engineer my iPhone, but all you need is a caliper and a half hour of your time. I forgot one(two) feature on this design, can you find what it is?
Iphone4.jpg

Iphone6.jpg

Iphone48.jpg

Iphone47.jpg

LED Photon, you've seen these or heard of these. I decided to make my own version. This is the model/idea that I am working on now. These will be designed for you to be able to change out to another color LED easily, whereas the retail ones you have to break and ... pretty much impossible to mod. Will be in production and will sell at raves and clubs. There is another version that will hold 2,3 and 4 LEDs in one to really trip you out. I can't show that design but those will also be able to change to different colors/strobe also. For now the parts to make this LED Photon will be 3D printed until I can get a desktop plastic injection molding unit.
ScreenShot009.jpg

ledphoton.jpg

ScreenShot008.jpg

whole.jpg

PhotoNov3043032AMHDR.jpg

Anyone else do any CAD/CAM/Modeling?

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
well yea. you should know that... lol

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I don't do any, but the 1:10 rc stuff brings good money. Alot of the RC crawler guys have scale models of their fullsize wheelers and dump tons of money in that stuff. I really like the cross as well. You ought to sell them.

Nice work.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I really like the cross, you have skills!

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Those are amazing man!! I used to use inventor in high school for my Engineering classes and I also would make random stuff for fun!

For the iPhone your missing the side buttons and the front camera (on the first picture) :smile:

bagdvoy

Nov 19, 2011
So what you're saying is you're going to make custom parts for any of us right!

ChevyTBLover

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Thanks guys!

bagdvoy said:
So what you're saying is you're going to make custom parts for any of us right!
Ha ha, that is what I would love to end up doing! I really should get my hands on a machine shop or at least the machines at school.

ChevyTBLover

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I don't do any, but the 1:10 rc stuff brings good money. Alot of the RC crawler guys have scale models of their fullsize wheelers and dump tons of money in that stuff. I really like the cross as well. You ought to sell them.

Nice work.

Ya the fuel cell idea, my friend thought up and was like these things will sell like crazy. And they did, we couldn't make enough!

I went in a phase of making clocks for a week or so.
PhotoAug1922553PM.jpg

PhotoAug2032826AM.jpg

PhotoAug19121057AM.jpg

also a phase of engraving plexi. Sold a bunch of these.
PhotoJan1535902PMHDR.jpg

PhotoJan1521541AMHDR.jpg

PhotoDec2433359PM.jpg

I designed and printed a lens cap holder because I always miss placed them. And can make it any size up to 4 inches.
PhotoJul1754303PMHDR.jpg

Here is a piston assembly that I printed. Disregard the ending, one of my friends told me I wouldn't be able to make this piston function. He didn't text me back. lol
VideoAug04103000PM.mp4 video by provihockey15 - Photobucket

Printed a 608 bearing, was not very accurate, but will work for a slide of some sort.
PhotoMay2741136AM.jpg

And here's the rotor from my first post.
PhotoAug0695503PM.jpg

And one more, sorry for the thread hogging (sp?), but are all TB/envoys rear speakers the 4 inches? I had to make an adapter for mine. I forgot what I had to do with my previous vehicles. Made out of Hardboard.
PhotoOct2534554PMHDR.jpg

PhotoOct2533917PMHDR.jpg

PhotoOct2534536PMHDR.jpg

OregTrailBlaz

Nov 21, 2011
Awesome work! I've been hit with an ever growing passion for machining. I've watched my dad for years on his lathe and mill, and am constantly amazed at what you can build. The guy on this vid just had a little lathe, and built an amazing mini V12 The world's tiniest V12 engine. [VIDEO]

I'm wanting to set up my Little Shoptask lathe/mill combo up to do CNC. It would be great to design something, then hit enter and watch the machine. I want to eventually work my way up to building something like this Antikythera Mechanism CNC Cookbook: Astronomical Clock

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Nice Work ChevyTBLover! I've always wanted to learn CAD, but fail at it. BTW ChevyTBLover, you should post up some equipment pics, I'd like to see what you use.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
this is what i make with CAD

73813_471553413115_387096_n.jpg

155136_471553913115_604658115_5579197_7310761_n.jpg

197142_10150121799933116_604658115_6417264_3075336_n.jpg

188319_10150121799433116_604658115_6417254_7885823_a.jpg

311136_10150302377408116_604658115_7813865_2325078_n.jpg

148387_472642163115_604658115_5591166_6788120_n.jpg

18146_289244748115_604658115_3336049_5911932_n.jpg

38569_424119568115_604658115_4685177_1894364_n.jpg

ChevyTBLover

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Porkins said:
Nice Work ChevyTBLover! I've always wanted to learn CAD, but fail at it. BTW ChevyTBLover, you should post up some equipment pics, I'd like to see what you use.

For sure, here is a couple shots of my machines.

This machine is my main go to machine when I need something done quickly.

Zen Toolworks by Sockles1, on Flickr

Zen Toolworks by Sockles1, on Flickr

This machine is the Momus design. You buy the plans on eBay and build it yourself. The plans are the most detailed CNC plans I have ever seen.

Momus design by Sockles1, on Flickr

This machine is from buildyourcnc.com. I rarely use this machine due to the noise levels it creates but is extremely fast and powerful.

DSC_7716.jpg by Sockles1, on Flickr

Build your cnc.com by Sockles1, on Flickr

My 3D printer. I can pretty much print anything you want/design. Its great for prototyping.

IMG_8627.jpg by Sockles1, on Flickr

IMG_8635.jpg by Sockles1, on Flickr

IMG_8639.jpg by Sockles1, on Flickr

IMG_8647.jpg by Sockles1, on Flickr

I'll upload a few photos of the rest of my machines in a few. They are on my other computer.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Awesome stuff Tyler. Only if I was a billionaire and had more talent....:undecided:

bagdvoy

Nov 19, 2011
So in reality what does it cost to build some of those DIY CNC's? Are there any you would reccomend to a beginner? They seem fairly affordable and might be cool to try and build and play around with. I didn't realize you could build your own CNC:thumbsup:

ChevyTBLover

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
bagdvoy said:
So in reality what does it cost to build some of those DIY CNC's? Are there any you would reccomend to a beginner? They seem fairly affordable and might be cool to try and build and play around with. I didn't realize you could build your own CNC:thumbsup:

I would highly recommend Zen Toolworks kit Zen Toolworks: Zen Toolworks CNC DIY KIT 7x7 This is what I started with. I knew absolutely nothing about these machines other than a bunch of youtube videos. I was selling LED dome light kits and other accent lighting and doing custom circuits and had to etch circuits by using acid (Toner transfer method); took forever, a couple hours. I eventually did the math and if I got the cnc machine, I would break even in a couple weeks and could pump out 15 circuits by the time one was done by the acid.

So if you were to buy a full cnc machine from Zen Toolworks, you would spend $590. That's not bad at all, especially with all the knowledge you will gain.

Zen Toolworks CNC DIY KIT 7x7 HERE - $360
DC Spindle Motor with ER 11 chuck HERE- $90
TB6560 3 Axis Stepper Motor Driver HERE- $90
Spindle Motor Power Supply with Variable Speed Control Package HERE - $50

---------
$590 + maybe ~$30 in shipping.

bagdvoy

Nov 19, 2011
Thanks!!!

I am thinking this might just be in my must have list! There are so many custom things I could do with one of these:crazy:

ChevyTBLover

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
There is really endless possibilities of what you could accomplish, I think Zen just came out with a 4th axis rotary table, that I think I'll be picking up in the next couple weeks.

I'm actually in the process of milling an aluminum spindle mount to replace Zen's pvc spindle mount. It's taking forever, but it is working. (Not meant to mill aluminum, there is some chatter)

PhotoJan0865658PMHDR.jpg

T-Mac

Dec 28, 2011
I'm glad you posted this Tyler. I've been looking for something inexpensive yet reliable, to engrave the pulleys I manufacture for identification. This looks like it would do the trick, and then some. For engraving I would be using a small ball end mill cutting a mere .03-.04 deep, which should be no problem from what I've read. I probably will go with the 12X12 for more versalility. If you don't mind, I'd like to hit you up if there are any questions I might have after I get this. I don't want to hijack your thread, just want to show you what I'm working with. The pulleys are 6 & 8 rib, front drive systems for LS based motors with superchargers, as well as the supercharger pulleys themselves. Here's a few pics of the pulleys I make on larger scale CNC machines.

6 Rib system
View attachment 17839

Supercharger pulley
View attachment 17840

My CNC cell
View attachment 17841

Attachments

• 6ribkit001.jpg
    6ribkit001.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 174
  • RIPPED.jpg
    RIPPED.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 173
  • SHOP010.jpg
    SHOP010.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 174

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Hey Tyler, Can your 3D printer make clear (see-thru) products? Don't know if it would be able to make clear Northface Roof Marker covers.

ChevyTBLover

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
T-Mac said:
I'm glad you posted this Tyler. I've been looking for something inexpensive yet reliable, to engrave the pulleys I manufacture for identification. This looks like it would do the trick, and then some. For engraving I would be using a small ball end mill cutting a mere .03-.04 deep, which should be no problem from what I've read. I probably will go with the 12X12 for more versalility. If you don't mind, I'd like to hit you up if there are any questions I might have after I get this. I don't want to hijack your thread, just want to show you what I'm working with. The pulleys are 6 & 8 rib, front drive systems for LS based motors with superchargers, as well as the supercharger pulleys themselves. Here's a few pics of the pulleys I make on larger scale CNC machines.

6 Rib system
View attachment 2674

Supercharger pulley
View attachment 2675

My CNC cell
View attachment 2676

Nice set up you got there! I didn't know that you made Pulleys. I'd love to own a VMC one day.

Porkins said:
Hey Tyler, Can your 3D printer make clear (see-thru) products? Don't know if it would be able to make clear Northface Roof Marker covers.
There is a filament out there called PLA, its pretty much semi clear. https://brazenartifice.wordpress.com/2011/12/03/dragon-printed-in-translucent-pla/ I haven't tried PLA yet due to the expense of it.

ChevyTBLover

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Not sure if I stated above but I was playing around the idea of converting one of my Zen Toolworks PVC base CNC to aluminum. I modeled it in Solidworks and ordered the aluminum.

385865_2717492893726_1149090181_32521133_1684018076_n.jpg

IMG_8927.jpg

IMG_8935.jpg

IMG_8949.jpg

IMG_8969.jpg

IMG_8998.jpg

IMG_9008.jpg

Its a little taller, weighs about 25 pounds, and a hell of a lot sturdier. I still have a couple pieces to make, like the bearing holders, motor mounts, but i'll probably end up milling those because I don't have a bit big enough.:crazy:

Put a control box together that will hold 2 power supplies, 3-axis driver board, and 5-axis breakout board. And of course I cannot wait to mod it once it's done. cause LEDs are definitely going in there. :biggrin:
IMG_9071.jpg

ChevyTBLover

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Watching my old videos from when I had a shop, got me itching to put together a live axle to replace the LSD diff on my 550 kart. Took some dimensions and drew it up.

[video=youtube;w57MYmFL1jk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w57MYmFL1jk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/video]

hub.jpg

assembly.jpg

gokartwithbrembobrakes.jpg

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I did some Auto Cadd in high school, and took a few courses at the community college. In high school I was starting to show the teacher how to use the program. Before my current job I worked for my uncle for 5 years. He had a CNC, custom machine shop in his garage and would make performance parts for mainly mustangs. We did do some viper and vette parts, but this was far a few between. In his garage was a a Haas, VF-1, Super VF-2, and a VF-3. As well as a KIA automatic lathe, a bridgeport machine, an ENCO manual lathe, an 8' 30k lbs shear, and a 60k press brake. He also had a welding corner as well as various other little odd machines.

I will say that was possibly one of my favorite jobs, he was teaching me the basics for using Gibbs CAM before I left. I could turn out anything on one of those machine's. We did work for the local Nuclear power plant, as well as the Pentagon, Ford racing, URD (underdog racing development) Toyota racing parts. We also did a ton of work for a lot of small performance shops around the world.

I learned alot of stuff working there, and luckily it came naturally.

You do some good work man, I am liking the home CNC stuff. I always wanted to get a small bench universal machine with a lathe and mill but I just dont have room yet.

NYFlapjack2

Jan 22, 2012
A cross over for hobbies neat stuff guys!.
For me some of my CAD CNC world is them both and treating my boys to these custom guitar builds (I can't play a stick).
This one I created the cut out plans and dimensions. Made a simple but very accurate datum fixture and had em programmed the CNC.
I've since I loaded up these Ibanez solid bodies.... and carved in the JEM Steve Via Monkey grip ....(the handle cut out is quite a distinct sign of his signature higher end guitars).
Then used all my auto body DIY to refinish and make some very unique guitars like:

Personally I've been through AutoCad way back on 286pc's with math coprocessors needed in early 80"s. Past into the 3d design world with ProE and even went back to college for that when it went friendlier with Graphical User Interfaces (loved that) not the PITA "F" menu driven mode-uggghhhh. Got away from ProE around Wildfire 2...Now 7+ years using and I am SolidWorks Certified Associate CSWA loving latest level SW 2012. Have I dated myself? Left college back when drafting boards were all us were taught and no such thing as a laptop. Unless you used it in your lap...your bought school supply for design which consisted of a 3 foot desk sized drafting board, T square, clear triangles and mechanical pencils.

Attachments

• P1010037.jpg
    P1010037.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 9
  • P1010038.jpg
    P1010038.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 9
  • rg.jpg
    rg.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 95
  • rg2.jpg
    rg2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 96
  • rg3.jpg
    rg3.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 96
  • SG2.jpg
    SG2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 96

NYFlapjack2

Jan 22, 2012
The most visible CAD CAM work on this hobby (PPSEL TW) was the dash I made for my RV6 that I built from 1995-1999.
Flew until I sold it in 2010. See how I CAD & CAM'd out the 4 easy serviceable and upgradeable dash quadrants below.
The CAD drawing shows the rear skeleton layer with screw locations holding on the actual face (4) gage panels.

Then last SW work for the RV6 was Designing the Wing and Tail shipping structures in 3d with BOM lists to ship 2 RV's in a Ocean box ship contained from NY to Brazil where they both are flying in the hands of Embraer flight test engineers. We communicated in solid 3d models and phew it all fit! The wood racks were built in advance as the container trailer spotted at airport in CNY was for 2 days only. They are moved on snowmobile roller casters onto flat bed as were the preped planes moved into container. They went over the road to the port in Delaware, about 2 months in sea to Brazil and reassembled near the port at an airport, inspected worthy and flew a few hours inland to their new homes in Brazil.
All that and the taxes for them about doubled the price for the entire airplane purchase.

Attachments

• dash empty.jpg
    dash empty.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 8
  • dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 10
  • P9100036.jpg
    P9100036.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 9
  • cad_dash.jpg
    cad_dash.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 12
  • container.jpg
    container.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 11
  • rack.jpg
    rack.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 9
  • rv4.jpg
    rv4.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 9
  • rv6.jpg
    rv6.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 11

ChevyTBLover

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Had an idea for a spindle this weekends while I was sitting in with a cold. I did some runout tests with my current spindle finding out its outrageous. So since I finished my project in my precision machining class 8 weeks early, I figured I'll make this spindle for the rest of the semester. The design is pretty simple. A bearing on each side and with a shaft down the middle. It will use Dremel collets until I can get access to a mini desktop lathe at Chicago's Hackerspace, Pumping Station One, and make my own. The pulley will be on top connected to a belt with an RC brushless motor, unless I can find a different type of AC motor or something. the spindle itself is only 5.5in long by 1" round. Might be too small, we'll see. Tomorrow, I'll run it by my professor, see what he thinks and if all is well I'll start the 3D print prototype.

spindle3.jpg

spindlescrews.jpg

spindleAssembly.jpg

ChevyTBLover

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
last night I was looking around for free 3D models for some ideas. I came across an impeller. I was really nicely modeled. I wondered if I would be able to 3D print it after tuning the machine for the past 3 days straight. Sliced it using ReplicatorG and decided to print it. It took about 2 hours and 50 minutes, due to being 97% solid. I went to bed hoping it would'nt fail on the angle of the blades. It came out great. I am very happy the way it came out, it's very strong too. I think that will open to more possibilities of what I can print from now on. :cool:

PhotoMar1425023PM.jpg

PhotoMar1425349PMHDR.jpg

ChevyTBLover

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
So I got started on the spindle assembly I was going to make. Not sure what I was thinking but 1.00" is way to small, so instead, I'm going with 1.500". Tuesday, I turned the 2.00" aluminum housing to 1.500". I'm going to use drill rod as the spindle rod, since we have so much of it. Tomorrow, I'll make the slits and ream the middle. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to keep the spindle rod in place from slipping up and down. Any ideas?

538488_3214034266950_1149090181_32710522_1958570569_n.jpg

spindle4.jpg

ChevyTBLover

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
I'm glad I didn't pick steel. would be very heavy. All I got done today.
PhotoMar2935257PM.jpg

PhotoMar2935156PM.jpg

ChevyTBLover

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Yesterday, my dune buggy got inspected and approved for a new title so I decided to make a new shift knob. I only have the middle done so far.

398827_3287179575537_1149090181_32745793_1823745831_n.jpg

564209_3402278652942_1149090181_32789131_2028769728_n-1.jpg

Also had to make a speedometer cable end.
560629_3389409891231_1149090181_32784095_725014893_n.jpg

ChevyTBLover

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Couldn't find bearings to work with the current steering setup for the dune buggy, so I made a bushing part with replaceable printed inserts.

ChevyTBLover

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
ChevyTBLover said:
Couldn't find bearings to work with the current steering setup for the dune buggy, so I made a bushing part with replaceable printed inserts.

529110_3338955309898_1149090181_32768497_844250395_n.jpg

524077_3434601140984_1149090181_32802055_696319879_n.jpg

544803_3441541194481_1149090181_32804821_830816095_n.jpg

0722239a.jpg

ed76986f.jpg

2f7c110d.jpg

All I got done today so far. BTW if anyone needs anything made, let me know. I'm running out of ideas!

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
You do some awesome work!

ChevyTBLover

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Thanks! Its a pretty good feeling once you make something that is one of a kind. Also just to say that you made it. I'm thinking about making a couple LED keychains out of various metals, maybe brass, aluminum, and hexagonal brass. It would measure out to about 1.3in long by .5in round, with a twist cap to turn it on, powered by 2 3V mini button cell batteries, and 3 rubber seals.

ScreenShot022.jpg

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
I got some brass bullet casings that you can use. Mite be interesting little light.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
I have a special project that I require serious help with... I really need this to happen!

I'm on a very tight budget and am running out of time.

How much does CNC machining cost? What's the turn-around time?

Anyone what to help this eccentric Canuck with his project of the year?

Puhhhllleeeeeaaaasssseee!?

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Are you gonna mill Harmless some wings?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online