C V Shaft Replacement Difficulties

Hawge

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
I'm having problems removing the C V shaft. ( 05 T.B. pass. side) Tried popping it of using a chisel as a wedge,to no avail, I was afraid of damaging the disconnect housing. So i removed the 4 bolts of the disconnect and tried to remove the whole unit as one, also to no avail. Can anyone help out, perhaps with an experienced tip or two. :frown: Any help is greatly appreciated.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Disconnects often corrode into place in the oil pan recess. Members have broken theirs trying too hard to get them out. Don't use the wedge tactic to get the CV shaft out. Get an 18-24" long drift punch or piece of rebar or gigantic screwdriver and place it at a slight angle on the rounded part of the CV inner joint housing - the tripot joint. Hit it or get a friend to use a 3-5 pound sledge. The passenger is almost always harder than the drivers side because the drivers side is lubricated by diff oil. The passenger side is almost dry. Grease up the replacement's splines to make the next time easier. This process can be hugely frustrating unless you use sufficient impact force.

Hawge

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Thanks Roadie, got it off. Now I want to inspect and grease the the disconnect. Four bolts are out, not budging. Just keep tapping it ? I'm not big on prying aluminum. Want to get it right after all this effort. I'll be replacing wheel bearing ,Cardone shaft, rotor, etc.etc.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I busted my housing so be careful. Sometimes it may not be avoidable...

Try spraying a good amount of PB blaster and such between the disconnect and oil pan, let it sit a while, may try heat (careful, you have oil in there remember so don't get it too hot or you'll need an oil change after cooking it!). If you can get a twisting motion on it that would be safest vs a prying motion. Issue with prying is the clearances are so close (which is why it gets corroded together in the first place) so any rocking motion binds it up in the bore.

Hawge

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Thanks Sparky I'll give it a shot. Here's hoping for the best.:thumbsup:

triz

Apr 22, 2013
I think what you want is a fork. I never did the one on the TB but on my other car. You can wedge the fork in for leverage and hit the handle. It should pop right out. Took me 5 minutes after I tried that. Took me 3 days before.

I'll try and scoop the video from my car thread on Spyderchat.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Triz's 2zz Swap - Page 4

There is a few pics there that should give you an idea. Post 73 has some pics and post 75 has the video. It should be the same concept.

Hawge

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Thanks for that input. I've tried just about everything except that. Just got back from Sears with a larger crowbar , 3# hammer, they didn't have the type of pickle fork I needed.

Hawge

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Patience and perseverance paid off. :biggrin: The axle is out. Thanks once again, to all who took the time to help out. Now got to get the disconnect out, wish I didn't have to work tomorrow.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenkick

Members Online