bypassing plug in for trailer lights

nagyiii

Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Just wondering if it was possible to run new wiring for the trailer connection? Mine doesn't work correctly, never has since 2008. It has a ton of corrosion thanks to our lovely Ohio winters and road conditions. Am I able to just tie into the wires behind the current plug in, or is there some sort of plug in replacement?

Thanks

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
nagyiii said:
Just wondering if it was possible to run new wiring for the trailer connection? Mine doesn't work correctly, never has since 2008. It has a ton of corrosion thanks to our lovely Ohio winters and road conditions. Am I able to just tie into the wires behind the current plug in, or is there some sort of plug in replacement?

Thanks
There are at least (2) manufacturers making an exact replacement 7-way twist in plug, Pollak PK11916, Dorman 924-307. If your connector into the back of the 7-way twist in is in good shape, this is a simple replacement. If your corrosion includes the back of the 7-way and the vehicle connector then you may have to splice in a new plug with a pigtail attached.
Dielectric grease on the connector and the 7-pin should delay the corrosion process of the new one.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
BRomanJr said:
Dielectric grease on the connector and the 7-pin should delay the corrosion process of the new one.
As would moving to a non-salt-using state. :wink:

Reactions: JamesL3 and nagyiii

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher