BWD Coils

jsinga

Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
GA
Yesterday we replaced the 3rd coil in our 2003 XL. They've all come from Advanced and are BWD.
Wife says go ahead and replace the other 3. Look at RockAuto they don't have BWD but Delphi and AC are $20 plus cheaper.
BWD Borg Warner is supposedly a good brand. The last box says made in Poland. Are these reboxed under another name? We are looking to save some bucks.
I saw a note about Duralast having a Delphi in the box; it said made in Mexico. Aren't most others made in China?
Any one know?
Thanks,
JS

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

jsinga

Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
GA
Still looking for answers. Looked at those posts.
Only know some Delphi are Mexican and BED are Polish.
FYI, 2003 Envoy XL OE are Delphi.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Last edited:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Actually... The OEM flavor for the Coil On Plugs for the 2003 GMC Envoy XL SLE Vehicles are: AC-Delco:

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-19300921-Original-Equipment-Ignition/dp/B00HFL8LBW/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=GMC|48&Model=Envoy XL|23450&Year=2003|2003&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

...and your are really off the hook if She told you to buy anything else...and they go bad... She has to take the blame... :>)

Actually all of them I've seen from our era come from the factory with Delphi. Along with dozens of other electronic parts being made by Delphi. Delphi is/was an oem parts manufacturer for GM.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I stand corrected... (except for 'The Wife" Thing... :>) Ooops... Nope ... I was right... (and so are You @Mounce) Apparently ACDelco and the OTHER Company called AC Delco Systems that merged with Delphi back in the 1990s are Two Completely Different Companies... With the one that makes the COPs being GM's American Owned Company "ACDelco" and the other called "AC Delco Systems" was absorbed by Delphi just as you mentioned ...and so it comes under the final company name of "Delphi" since the beginning of our GMT360s and well before .. So it looks like we are BOTH right. :>)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACDelco

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And if you look at the pics on RA of the ACDelco, it says Delphi on the coil itself. ACDelco don't make anything (anymore). They're just a rebrander/repackager.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Hard to say if we haven't bought them... heck, even parts I have bought I don't remember the manufacture country most of the time.

jsinga

Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
GA
I was looking for good parts. Also, if they came from North America that's a plus.
So, Since another coil gave up in just 2 weeks RockAuto sent 2 Delphi coils. I figured they are at least OE quality. They are made in China. If you look at them, the only way to tell them apart is the Delphi number etched on them vs the BWD number on the others. I'm satisfied, since if the air box is off all the coils match.
FYI RockAuto has all 6 for like $150, if you haven't changed any coils start saving your money.

JS

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
Or you can REALLY save some money
Capture+_2018-01-31-17-54-26.png

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Square heatsinks - those are supposed to provide 'hotter' spark vs the round ones. Which is good. But - isn't the prevailing advice to use OEM for these? (and I know there's a heavy reliance on suggesting OEM on the site - but I'll have to admit - the recommended parts tend to be the best, one recent example being spark plugs. The Bosch iridiums I took out were practically new (came installed on the truck) With the AC Delco installed, the engine runs so much better.)

That's the advantage of being a '2nd' owner - the ones who came before us went through the pain of finding out the info!

Reactions: Shaw520 and Eric04

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
With the AC Delco installed, the engine runs so much better.)
That's the advantage of being a '2nd' owner - the ones who came before us went through the pain of finding out the info!

I will definitely agree with these statements,... but finding genuine AC Delco/ or equivalent, at a decent price seems to be the challenge.

Reactions: Redbeard

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I will definitely agree with these statements,... but finding genuine AC Delco/ or equivalent, at a decent price seems to be the challenge.

You bring up a good point, and one which I failed to properly consider.

My ranking of what parts I choose...
- Is there only one vendor available? (rare)
- Is there enough evidence (substantiated or anecdotal) that a particular brand(s) perform better, or will not compromise another part / system (ex: O2 sensors & cat. converters)
- How difficult / expensive will this part be to replace again?
-Will failure potentially strand me somewhere?

And then, with those things eliminated as factors - then price reigns supreme, followed by warranty (lifetime vs not, etc.)

Just b/c those are my priorities doesn't mean that those are everyone else's, or in the same order.

TY for bringing this to my attn (if only indirectly / unintentionally.) Rather presumptuous of me.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I thought the square vs round sinks was an LS V8 thing?

I'd be leery of any eBay or Amazon special package unless it actually says Delphi or ACDelco. Who knows what they are?

Roamingdoc

Dec 23, 2012
Prescott, AZ
Well, this is several months past and I just changed out the plugs on my 4.2 Trlblzr (with 275L) and noted things RAN much better (also cleaned the Tbody). BUT need to replace at least 3 Coils and not seeing a consensus here. RA doesn't have Delco (and Amazon wants $100/per for the one link I found) ... so do we have runner ups??? Thanks very much

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
For an '04 RA shows ACDELCO 19300921 {#12568062} GM Original Equipment coils
$94.79. RA sent a discount code for 5 % off this morning good until Sept 16.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Go with the Delphi. If you look at the pics of the ACDelco, it even says Delphi on top. Oddly enough though, the Delphi is blank on top but says Delphi on the metal isolator. It's less than half the price.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.