Buying online tires need references

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I am considering buying a set of Cooper Discoverer CTS's to replace the Michelin X Terrains that are getting real old. I have investigated Tread Depot, Online Tires, and Discount Tires.

Online Tires has the best price, but the other two will match the "delivered price". Wondering if people would recommend or have in thoughts on the quality of service. I assume that since they are all supplying the same tire that should not be an issue. Due to my location returning tires is probably not an option so they will have to be right from the get go.

Thanks to anyone who will give me input on these outfits.

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Default User said:
Have you tried Tirerack.com?

Tire Rack doesn't sell Cooper Tires to best of my knowledge.

htseat2000

Jan 25, 2013
RedEnvoyDenali said:
I am considering buying a set of Cooper Discoverer CTS's to replace the Michelin X Terrains that are getting real old. I have investigated Tread Depot, Online Tires, and Discount Tires.

Online Tires has the best price, but the other two will match the "delivered price". Wondering if people would recommend or have in thoughts on the quality of service. I assume that since they are all supplying the same tire that should not be an issue. Due to my location returning tires is probably not an option so they will have to be right from the get go.

Thanks to anyone who will give me input on these outfits.

i just ordered michelens from discount tire direct. 60,000 miles tires for 163 a piece and if you order before feb 23rd you get a 70.00 visa gift card from michelin.

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
htseat2000 said:
i just ordered michelens from discount tire direct. 60,000 miles tires for 163 a piece and if you order before feb 23rd you get a 70.00 visa gift card from michelin.

Thank you for the post. My Denali comes with 245-60-15 and someone replaced them with 275-55-18 Michelin Cross Terrains before I bought the truck. I really like the Cross Terrains but they don't make them in the 275 size anymore and have replaced them with the Latitude or Latitude HP. The 275-55-18 replacements are 256.00 per tire. Cooper (which I have had and quite like) have a 255-55-18 for about 156.00 per tire. So even with the 70.00 rebate the Michelin's are still very expensive By the way the Michelins have a 720 rating while the Coopers have a 700.

Mesoholics

Apr 2, 2012
We used Discount tires to get our Falkens delivered to Ontario. No issues with them when they came other than the Fedex guy left them on my friends porch in broad daylight, but we got them just the same.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
dont know if they do this for dealers across the country... but my dealership here in Ohio does price matching on tires as well... might wanna check yours out... if you can bring in a proof of price, the dealer will match it, with free shipping of course since they're ordering it for you... sometimes the dealers work out for you, sometimes, well hell, most times, they dont lol... but my dealership quoted me a cheaper price to align, mount and balance, and order my tires, then any other place around me... my alignment was $40is (my dad works for the dealer so i get his discount, without his discount it wouldve been $59), and i paid $85 at conrads for an alignment... mount and balance was $10 per tire at the dealer (without my dads discount), and i paid $99.80 at conrads for mount and balance...

so sometimes it pays off to shop around other then just the net... but i say this only because the dealerships here in Ohio have the price match stuff going on..
they only approve certain brands as well... but again, still worth a shot... never wouldve thought that a delaership would be a tire store... but hey, werider things have happened :rotfl:

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Have bought from Discount tire and Tire rack and both have been good. The last few tires have been cheaper at Discount Tire with the free delivery.

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Boricua SS said:
dont know if they do this for dealers across the country... but my dealership here in Ohio does price matching on tires as well... might wanna check yours out... if you can bring in a proof of price, the dealer will match it, with free shipping of course since they're ordering it for you... sometimes the dealers work out for you, sometimes, well hell, most times, they dont lol... but my dealership quoted me a cheaper price to align, mount and balance, and order my tires, then any other place around me... my alignment was $40is (my dad works for the dealer so i get his discount, without his discount it wouldve been $59), and i paid $85 at conrads for an alignment... mount and balance was $10 per tire at the dealer (without my dads discount), and i paid $99.80 at conrads for mount and balance...

so sometimes it pays off to shop around other then just the net... but i say this only because the dealerships here in Ohio have the price match stuff going on..
they only approve certain brands as well... but again, still worth a shot... never wouldve thought that a delaership would be a tire store... but hey, werider things have happened :rotfl:

Thank you for this input. I have checked around locally and here in Canada we have special way of screwing over consumers. The tires I can get delivered to my door for around 7 to 750.00 from the States, the dealers want anywhere from 1050.00 to well let's just say MORE.

I am lucky since I have a buddy who imports automotive product weekly and I can get items delivered to an American address (with free shipping a lot of times) and then he brings the stuff up with his regular imports. Don't quite understand why the 49th parallel adds so much value. It will probably cost me around 25.00 per tire to get them mounted and balanced at a local tire shop but that still saves me 2-300 overall.

I have asked the online guys and they will "Price Match". What they really mean is that they will Total Price match, tires and shipping. Some have decent prices but the shipping gets a little high, some have higher prices but the shipping is reasonable or even free.

Where I am at is that it looks like Onlinetires.COM looks to have the best combo of price and shipping. What I need from you guys is experience with different outfits. Tirerack doesn't have Coopers. Discount tire and Treaddepot do but at higher combined prices. If I get any negatives about Onlinetire and a bunch of positives about either of the others I would tempted to pay a little more. Returning product will be a royal PIA.

Again thanks for the input.:thumbsup:

PS I like Michelin however the numbers are same as I described above just more of a gap.

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Mesoholics said:
We used Discount tires to get our Falkens delivered to Ontario. No issues with them when they came other than the Fedex guy left them on my friends porch in broad daylight, but we got them just the same.

Thank you for the response regarding Discount Tire.

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
tbuckalew14 said:
i've ordered 3 sets of tires from discount tire. Each time they have price matched...haven't had any issues so far.

thanks guys I am really getting a good feeling about Discount Tire. I will work with them to try and get the tires I need.:thumbsup:

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
This is my 3rd winter with the Cooper CTS tires. They are doing well with the snow and sleet. I have been impressed with the ride ever since I got them.

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
Have you checked into TreadWrights at all. They are retreads, but a lot of the guys on offroadTB swear by them. Since you have a 4x4, they might be worth taking a look at. Average around 125 a tire for most sizes. Don't know about the shipping though.

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
rcam81 said:
This is my 3rd winter with the Cooper CTS tires. They are doing well with the snow and sleet. I have been impressed with the ride ever since I got them.

Thanks for the tire critique. I too have had Coopers and it was all good, that is why I have more or less settled on them.

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
I also have a set of Cooper CS4's on my 07 Grand Prix. Same great ride from them.

am-radio

Apr 24, 2012
Gerry, I bought my Cooper discoverer CTS's in small town SK. I paid both taxes and with install, balance, environmental tire tax, and the tires, all in I was $910. Plus when I bought, Cooper had a $75 mail in rebate. I haven't driven on them yet, as I've got the winters on. If you get them shipped to your door, DON'T use UPS. They will rape you with brokerage fees.

tricguy007

Dec 7, 2011
Try TIRES-EASY.COM I LOVE MY COOPER DISCOVERER H/t's $123+shipping 255/55/18

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
am-radio said:
Gerry, I bought my Cooper discoverer CTS's in small town SK. I paid both taxes and with install, balance, environmental tire tax, and the tires, all in I was $910. Plus when I bought, Cooper had a $75 mail in rebate. I haven't driven on them yet, as I've got the winters on. If you get them shipped to your door, DON'T use UPS. They will rape you with brokerage fees.

Thanks for the reply. Nice to hear from you again. What size did you get? I need 18" and they run around 155.00 each in the USA. I can get them close and then I have a friend who brings stuff up on a weekly basis. He imports automotive items all the time so he imports them for me and then brings them in. Because he imports regularly he doesn't get raped on brokerage. I am aware of UPS brokerage, it used to be an arm and a leg but they refined the process to get you to throw in your first born.

I have been talking to local dealer here in Saskatoon and I am looking at one quote for 1032.00 all in, and another one for almost 300.00 per tire, but I can land them here for a significant amount less.

My son-in-law has purchased 2 sets of Coop's As set of AT3's and a set of CS4's for my daughter Rogue. He is really happy with them. I drove his Nissan and it handled real nice in the snow. I am thinking I would prefer the CTS's since they are a little smoother and I rarely see anything but pavement.

I am just trying to find the best place to purchase them in the US. Discount Tire seems to be winning the best combination of pricing and shipping. I am also waiting for the spring Cooper tire rebate to be offered since I really don't need them until mid spring early summer.

How has your winter been? You have sent a ton of snow but I think the winters back is broke so we just need to persevere for a few weeks and then spring should sprung.

Who knows we may get near your part of the world this summer, and if so I will contact you and see if we can do coffee or something.

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
tricguy007 said:
Try TIRES-EASY.COM I LOVE MY COOPER DISCOVERER H/t's $123+shipping 255/55/18

Thanks for the recommendation, I will check them out. Did you know the server location for tires-easy.com is Germany? How interesting ! :undecided:

am-radio

Apr 24, 2012
I bought the stock 18" Denali size.
We have no snow here compared to Sask. My folks said this is the most snow they have ever seen. My wife went home to southern Sask and she said there is tons of snow there.
If your ever out this way let me know. We always go to sask landing for 10-12 days every august long.
I'll give you an update on the coopers once I put a few miles on them.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.