Built a rear cargo organizer

cody_s

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
After reading a bunch of threads here and on ORTB, I decided to go ahead and build a rear cargo organizer. The difficult part was having a box for two 12" subs and having to build around them, as they take up a good bit of space. Came up with the idea to have two large compartments under the subs, and set them on a shelf.

The base of the cargo organizer:
4abe764c-ab41-f79f.jpg

All the wood cut to size
4abe764c-ab5f-02d6.jpg

The outer frame:
4abe764c-ab91-4e5a.jpg

Ended up taking off the top, had it so the subs would face back towards the rest of the trunk, but I figured if I turned them to she they were facing up, I'd have more storage room on the shelf in front of the sub box.

And the (ALMOST) finished product:
4abe764c-abee-443e.jpg

Still want to add some drawers in the bottom compartments to make everything easier to get to, and add some carpet/wallpaper/design of some sort so it doesn't just look like straight lumber.

All in all, I think it went pretty well, first time doing a big wood project Ike this, I'm really not much of a handyman lol.

The only downside is that with the sub box facing upward, it kind of kills the visibility out of the bottom of the rear window. Maybe towing mirrors are in my future lol.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Looks good. My only question, whats the sound like with the subs now? I tried my sub box on top of my rear storage box and it rattled and sounded like sh**. So much so I decided to sell off the subs.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Lookin good!

Audiophobe

Aug 12, 2012
I just built a storage unit for the back of my TB. Check it out and let me know if you are stumped for ideas. It's really difficult to measure inside of a vehicle since everything is molded plastic it makes the woodworking even more difficult.

I had to eliminate my sub for now. I haven't decided if I want to put it back or not. Good luck with the project!

Here's the link to my thread if you're interested.:biggrin:
http://gmtnation.com/f33/trailblazer-storage-organization-4538/

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Looking good Cody!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online