Building what I wish I could've.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
We all could've, would've, should've something... am I right? Well I decided a long time ago if it's something I think I can afford, it isn't a matter of think but rather a matter of just doing it and putting my mind to it. Hence the Colorado among other things in my life I won't bother anyone here with. :tongue:

Anyway, I'm sure a lot of the usual suspects remember the red truck build. That was a definite proving ground for myself if you will... a learning experience of what should and shouldn't be done. Mind you, that truck is fun as all hell but I learned a lot moving forward on what works and doesn't... the could've.

What you may not know is that I used it as a test subject of what did and didn't work when I went with the first iteration of the current engine in the vette. I can say that the 350 in the vette will handily beat the 383 in that truck in every measurable metric except maybe... maybe... peak torque. I know it makes more peak and average power. I know it drives better despite the cubic inch deficit and larger cam. I know a lot of these things and there was still a lot to be done better on both. The should've.

But what about the would've? Well it isn't often you get to go back and get a do over... yet here we are. Now, this adventure all started on an overnight shift at work. I browse marketplace regularly for car parts like any normal person does at 3am. And I came across an engine block... for 20$. It was a complete virgin, albeit neglected, 350. But to me, it is actually a very special one for several reasons. As an aside right here, I don't want to do an LS for this. Simply put, I want this to be my last GEN 1 project. (I also don't have the time for an LS swap right now, this will ultimately be a simple pull and swap once assembled vs months of custom fabbing and electronics integration.) From here on out I'm skipping LS and going right to GEN 5 because the LT platform is basically a production SB2. (go look at the heads, its nuts. LS is fantastic but the potential of the LT platform will go well beyond it in stock form than a lot of modded LS parts. The problem right now is support, which is why I'm not moving on it.)

So, this 20$ block... it checks all my boxes. First it is a 638 casting which basically means, 1 piece RMS, roller block, standard style timing cover, and longer bores than the 880 block from the red truck. (less piston rock with a stroker) It also was a 2 bolt main block which means I can do studded and splayed mains which will be stronger than the factory 4 bolt main blocks.

Now for the internals... Basically I am building this so that the weak link is the block itself... The crank is a forged unit in an odd stroke, 3.8. This makes a 388 at a typical .030 overbore. The crank was a sale find for more than half off. A steal. The rods will be forged I beams, and the same thing. Found on sale. I am slowly accumulating the parts being frugal as there is no real rush to build this engine. I already have the heads, the pistons will come eventually. The engine will be seeing near 11.5:1 compression and yet will be pump gas friendly do to good cooling, chamber design and cam selection. (Having 93 readily available helps too.)

The goal? 650hp capable. With the parts I have available I know the heads will support it. It is a matter of the cam selection and induction being able to as well. This will be going in the vette and will be more power than any reasonable person needs in a roughly 3000lb street car. The car makes 275 wheel right now (granted the power curve is that of a 375 wheel car, it makes 300+ lb-ft from 1900-5000 rpms or so but the intake cuts the power peak at 4000 at 275 and carries it table flat out to 6300. A better intake and it would climb all the way to 6k.) But with the 275 wheel it is already a handful in a good way. I'm figuring to basically double that and have it be an adult sized go kart.

Anyway, I've rambled along too much. I will be keeping tabs on parts and the build here as it comes along but it could very well be a couple year ordeal. Sorry if it seems incoherent. I've been up damn near 24 hours but this is something I thought I'd share as I think it is interesting to see what would've gone in the red truck knowing what I know now and if I had an unlimited budget back then. :tiphat:

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Little peak at the crank. It was allegedly a blemish unit. When I reached out to scat about it they confirmed that particular PN isn't a blemish but rather on clearance. Sweet. The journals are really nicely polished. It is one of the nicest engine components I've ever owned next to my heads lol.20211010_162400.jpg

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Learned some new info from this post. Subscribing. :thumbsup:
Similar to my own build plans, re: revised scope.

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Learned some new info from this post. Subscribing. :thumbsup:
Similar to my own build plans, re: revised scope.
I Try. It should be a fun deal by the end.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Speaking of the rods, just found a set for a price I couldn't refuse. While I do have a couple sets of pink rods laying around, I want a better profile to avoid as much work as possible for the stroker. Will post pictures when they come in.

Edit: I am keeping a log book of dates too:
Block purchase 6/14/21
Crank 9/29/21
Rods 1/19/22

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Rods
20220124_224233.jpg

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
May have snagged a set of pistons for about 20% of MSRP... flat top Forgings with rings from wiseco for 135$... backorder but I got a confirmation number and everything... now the waiting game. It was a too good to be true price but if they show up I'll be damned and very pleased.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
There is currently a box of pistons in my possession. I have to double check my bank account but the 135$ thus far is correct.

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
So pretty. Mind you this includes rings and wrist pins as well.
20220626_213917.jpg

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Been going back and forth with my machine shop. Ultimately they have swayed me from splayed mains. And I understand why. For the $ it would cost to cut and fit I would be better off with an aftermarket block. But they did have an identical 4 bolt factory block they swapped out to for no charge. We are going to stud the mains. Basically for the power and target rpms, I'm going to be way overkill still. They did a nice job on the engine balance so all is well.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
I also have speced a custom grind cam. Mike Jones is doing it. This is one of the few areas I'm spending money in... honestly I'll have more in the cam/valvetrain then the rest of the short block lol.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Got a nice cam delivered yesterday.
20230413_183934.jpg

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I look at those cam specs and think "hmm... fairly aggressive..."
Then I remember this is a Gen 1 SBC, *not* an LS.
I've forgotten SBC cam profiles... what was the goal, here?

I've got someone telling me I may want to put a different cam in my project than the one I'm running in the Sierra now (which I'm pretty happy with, TBH). But he doesn't like Comp, and I'm sure that's part of the reason, as well.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online