Broken spider gear in differential

jafo2424

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Daughter had the truck yesterday and called that the back end was making clunking noises when turning. Went to drive it and loud clunk and back end was binding up.
Pulled the diff cover and found a piece of the spider gear in the bottom. Looks as if the top smaller pinion spider gear is broken.
Question is, can this be rebuilt usung the rebuild from the likes of Hudson (or others) or is it time to hit the salvage yards ?? Has the GU6 (3.42)and G80.

Truck currently has 229K on it

spidergear.JPG

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The platform is so plentiful that it may be cheaper to find a junkyard unit and swap the whole rear axle.

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
Quite common in the g80's. Must have had one of the wheels spinning up pretty good when the other one engaged. I'm not saying your daughter per se, could have been done earlier and the damage didn't show up until your daughter drove it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You dont have to be spinning too good, the g80s are not all that strong and can pop pretty easy. Called Gov-Bombs for a reason. Still a nice asset for a factory locking diff.

jafo2424

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I should be good with a 2002-2005 replacement correct? Thought I read the ones after 2005 have something additional on them. Thanks again

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Later axles have ABS sensors on each of the two rear wheels, but you can clip off the wiring and use a new axle just fine in an earlier truck. Old trucks have a driveshaft speed sensor on the back of the transmission or transfer case, but without traction control, it works fine.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
jafo2424 said:
I should be good with a 2002-2005 replacement correct? Thought I read the ones after 2005 have something additional on them. Thanks again
You may be thinking about the transfer cases, the newer ones had a bearing upgrade.

If your going to the junkyards for a replacement, consider getting the 8.6". It's bigger and stronger. They were used in the long wheelbase trucks and the V8 trucks.

jafo2424

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
So is it wise to replace the whole axel and go with the 8.6" with G80 (if they are a time bomb) or go with one thats non-locking then. Seems to be plenty available from the yards for the LWB that do not have the G80. Everything hooks right in place whether you go with the same 8" SWB or the 8.6 LWB (or V8) ??

Thanks fellas

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Direct fit with either axle.

I would not own an axle that was not locking, but a great many do and many dont even know if they have a locker or not. In VA, you would have to make the call. You do have 4x4, so that may be enough, but that really mean 2 tires being powered, while the g80 gives you 3 tires.

I beat the hell out of my G80 and it never failed. I had one in another ride and it blew apart going to the grocery store randomly.

Reactions: Mounce and jpimp

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I would get the G80 no doubt if I lived where it snowed a lot. If I were in a city in, let's say, lower Florida with little chance of snow or ice and no dirt roads, it would have no use only seeing paved roads, then I would question whether it was worth it or not. But in a place where it either snows or has muddy dirt roads I would get it.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Jafo, I went through the same thing, when I priced the new gears from the dealer I decided on a SS axle from a junkyard. However, this will work if you have the 4:10 ratio since they only are avail in 4:10.

To repair my original axle, with a discount, they came out to about $400 and some change for the 4 spiders.....maybe you could do better aftermarket.

I really did like the G80, helped out alot and now having the limited slip in the SS axle I like that as well. You could easily find a used one at a good price, they are an easy swap with 2 people. I would also love to have a locker....tough call and depends on your budget.

Another option is if you go with a 8.6" Eaton has a Tru-Trac and is a torsen style if I'm not mistaken....very good setup, but I don't think it's avail in the 8.0" though.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I do not believe any other traction aid but the G80 is avail for the 8.0.

I also switched to the 9.5 SF 14 from an SS but I put a LockRight in it and have the G86 LS in storage now.

The SS can be fitted with other gearing if you need or want the extra stregth it provides. Also has many LS and locking options available.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah, that isn't a G80 unit at all. Looks exactly like my rear. Well, old one, I swapped in an 8.6.

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
gmcman said:
Jafo, I went through the same thing, when I priced the new gears from the dealer I decided on a SS axle from a junkyard. However, this will work if you have the 4:10 ratio since they only are avail in 4:10.

To repair my original axle, with a discount, they came out to about $400 and some change for the 4 spiders.....maybe you could do better aftermarket.

I really did like the G80, helped out alot and now having the limited slip in the SS axle I like that as well. You could easily find a used one at a good price, they are an easy swap with 2 people. I would also love to have a locker....tough call and depends on your budget.

Another option is if you go with a 8.6" Eaton has a Tru-Trac and is a torsen style if I'm not mistaken....very good setup, but I don't think it's avail in the 8.0" though.
Did you have to swap driveshafts?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I did the SS axle swap by myself. With a floor jack it really is not hard.

I am lifted and have extended rear control arms...I needed an adapter U joint---#446 ircc-- and I had to shorten my drive-shaft by 1.5 inches.

However the first swap from a SS to non-SS truck of the rear end, I do not believe he had to do anything but the adapter U joint.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
24v 4.2 said:
Did you have to swap driveshafts?
Yes, and like HARDTRAILZ stated, 1.5" shorter is just right. I actually found another drive shaft cheap and installed new U-Joints and I have my OE axle in the shed, along with the OE shaft just in case I ever needed to swap it back.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online