Broken Fuel tank inlet? Simplified repair idea

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Hi All,
I am an avid observer and reader of this fine site, so I thought I should contribute something.

Like many of you, I missed the special coverage GM offered for the famously broken fuel tank inlet which expired last year. Fuel tanks in Ontario Canada for our vehicles was dealer only with a price tag of $960.00. When I called the auto recyclers within my entire province, I only found tanks with a similarly broken inlet, right around the roll over protection check valve.

So, here is how mine was fixed. No photos but you will get the picture. Now let's start off by saying these repairs were performed by a qualified technician, results may vary and this is only an idea. You may feel free to follow or not follow this advice. Okay? This repair was performed on my 2003 GMC SLT seven passenger vehicle.

The advantages of this repair are:
A) No need to drain the fuel tank.
B) No need to remove the fuel tank.
C) No need for messy heat gizmos that melt plastic
D) You will not compromise the removal of the roll over protection check valve found in the tank.
E) No fishing of metals fasteners through the tank like you might have seen on YouTube
F) The repair took less than 20 minutes to complete and will cost you one sheet of gasket material.

Intrigued?

Start the repair by ensuring there is less than 1/4 tank of gas in the vehicle.
Raise the vehicle safely on a hoist to gain best as possible access.
If your vehicle is like mine, the roll over check valve and round collar had a clean break from the tank and freely can be pulled from the tank with the rubber filler hose still attached.
Remove the gear clamp from the filler hose to the fuel tank inlet.
Twist and convince the hose barb to come off the filler inlet hose. It will take some twisting, swearing and convincing, but eventually the inlet will pull free from the hose.
Take the inlet hose barb and round ring that is still attached to your bench. Drill three evenly spaced pilot holes around the outer ring. The holes should be drilled in a manner that when screws are driven, the screws will be directed slightly outwards, not towards the inlet check valve.
Grab a piece of fuel rated gasket material. Cut the inside diameter to tightly fit around the check valve assembly.
Cut the outer diameter wider than the ring that remained where your three pilot holes were drilled.
Poke holes into the gasket material so it aligns with the three pilot holes.
Insert the check valve back into the tank so it lines up as it should of prior to the break.
Slowly start a self tapping screw (doesn't need to be long, 1" will do) through one of the pilot holes until it starts to bite into the tank. Don't drive it home yet. Each screw thread should be coated with a fuel resistant sealant.
Do the same for the other two screws, only get them started.
Now, evenly drive the screws in a portion at a time so the assembly seats tightly all at once.
Tighten each screw evenly. Grasp the inlet and give it a slight shake. Pretty sturdy!
Re-attach hose to fuel tank inlet. Note: You do not need to push the hose down as far as it was from the factory. It is okay to leave a little gap at the bottom, as this will reduce the amount of torque produced by the hose pulling on the inlet. Tighten the hose clamp.
Grab your scanner and turn off the CEL brought on by the broken inlet.

Why it works? The gasket material creates a new seal between the broken inlet and the tank. When the screws are driven through, the gasket seals around the three new holes. Coating the threads in a proper fuel rated sealant also helps seal the newly introduced holes.

I had the above repair performed yesterday by my mechanic at work. I have not smelled any fuel fumes, and the CEL has yet to light, touch wood.

I should mention I am still in pursuit of a proper replacement tank, but I feel the above repair will allow me to drive my vehicle safely until I find a good candidate.

Hope this helps someone, if they choose to follow at their own risk.

Cheers,
Adam

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
We do have to stress that this would be a temporary fix. Anything is better than a gaping hole.

I'm sure you'll be able to find one. In fact, I found two in Ontario using Car-part.com.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online