Broken Antenna

aaserv

Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Been getting poor reception. Ck out the antenna and apparently I have the mast type on the passenger side cowl. Looks like its broken off clean. I drill it out and put an ease out in it and now have a 1/8" antenna as the ease out broke clean off in the hole i drilled.
Am I wrong and the antenna does not just screw in to this hole? I looked on my 6 cyl and it doesnt even have this type of antenna...come to think of it I dont know where the antenna is on that 1. I dont mind going to the junkyard and getting a whole new piece but doesnt look like routing the wire will be any fun. Id rather just screw this 1 out and screw a new 1 in if thats possible. HELP?!IMG_20200616_094746358.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I had to replace mine on the '07 because the wire had been cut for police radio equipment. No way to thread the wire back the same way so I passed it through the rubber in the door jamb.

Attachments

• IMG_20200616_214205.jpg
    IMG_20200616_214205.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 5

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Am I wrong and the antenna does not just screw in to this hole?

I think in your case, the threaded stud that's inside the cowl snapped off inside the antenna. I removed mine years ago, since I never listen to radio.

20200616_215323.jpg20200616_215517.jpg

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

aaserv

Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Dealer had 1 for $40....Im to cheap. Went to u-pull...1st envoy i walk up to has 1 bright and shiny....Its 92 degs outside and I have about 6 8mm sockets in my bag and No 7's.....walk all the way back and get 1. Time I get back Im sweating bullets. Dealer pics on GMC site seem to show the wire hanging down maybe 12" or so and then making a junction.....It doesnt. 1 continuous wire all the way to the radio. I pull on it and it doesnt budge. Good thing Im at a junkyard.
Take the bolts off the top of the passenger side fender and 1 at the door opening , pull the fender back about 6" and there is the hole leading under the dash...pull out the rubber plug, unplug the antenna from the back of the radio and Im done. Charged me $4 for it and I got to figure out how to change it for free!
Only thing Im not clear on.....inside the vehicle the wire from the radio to the body hole is covered in like pipe insulation....same thing you have on a copper AC line to prevent sweating....well this wire isnt going to sweat...My guess is it helps eliminate radio interference ??? Not sure how foam insulation accomplishes this but what other purpose could it possibly serve??

Reactions: xavierny25

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Glad you were able to get one for cheap, as well as the free lesson on replacing it. No clue about the insulation part though, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think it's just to prevent noise in case it moves around.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online