Brianlibby791’s 04 Duramax Build

brianlibby791

Original poster
Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey
So as many of you know if you read my introduction back in August of 2017, I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 2500hd with the LLY Duramax.

After years of looking (About 3-4). My parents finally had let me start to buy a truck and going to look at some. I looked at an 07, my luck it turned out to be a lemon. Not even a week later I was at work scrolling through craigslist (yes craigslist) and boom my truck was posted for not even 20 minutes. Immediately I texted the poster telling him I’m interested. At this point my dad was at work so I called he and begged him to bring me to see the truck that night because so many people wanted the truck.

A few hours go by and I go see the truck, I immediately wanted it. Talked the guy down from 17,000 to 15,500 because of the engine surge (ended up being the FPR) and oil leak.

Now she sits in my possession. Only things done to the truck are a 4” MBRP Straight pipe, tinted amber delete tail lights, aftermarket headlights (unknown brand), cts2 Tuner/monitor and soon a red head steering box for better turning and etc.

Still much to come for the build but for the build to progress I need to address more important things such as loose steering, rust repair and as well as keeping up with regular maintenance.

698158B2-E030-4E46-812A-A572CA5C7B02.jpeg

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Beastly truck for a 16 yr old, Kudos my man :cool:
Only thing I was driving your age was a '97 Taurus....

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Boo. We want more red truck. Bring us the red truck.

brianlibby791

Original poster
Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey
Beastly truck for a 16 yr old, Kudos my man :cool:
Only thing I was driving your age was a '97 Taurus....
Haha thank you. My goal was to try and not need to buy a car, but something i can enjoy and experience different mechanics on that isnt gasoline.

Boo. We want more red truck. Bring us the red truck.
My truck probably is just as fast.

Reactions: Capote

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Haha thank you. My goal was to try and not need to buy a car, but something i can enjoy and experience different mechanics on that isnt gasoline.

My truck probably is just as fast.
Yea but this won't pull that hard at 100...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well we certainly don't have enough diesel content on the site. Will be interesting.

brianlibby791

Original poster
Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey
Just replaced the steering dampener yesterday with a Bilstein 5100, went way better than I expected which im pretty happy about (Mainly because of rust). Old one had no resistance at all, and was leaking whatever fluid was in it.

Steering wheel has a good amount of resistance now, no more kickback going over bumps, squeaking i had went away. Just makes me more excited to get the rest of the steering and front end stuff on the truck.

Reactions: xavierny25

brianlibby791

Original poster
Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey
Pulled the steering box, idler arm and bracket, and pitman arm off last night. Wasnt as bad as i thought it would be, just needed a torch to heat them both up and a good whack with a hammer.

Dropping the box was pretty simple, or at least i think so. The one in the truck did end up being a reman (Explains all the steering play). Did a quick spray of primer over the sway bar (trust me it looks bad) just until i can actually get under and POR15 the truck.

Later ill post up pictures of the new box and components as im putting them in if i get off work in time.

brianlibby791

Original poster
Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey
C56F76CA-0B0C-4760-87A3-93B0FD0B0DD8.jpeg6BFA19BB-2C08-4EDC-8320-F15F6825BB53.jpeg
Please excuse the rust, im working on it. No more steering play which im super happy about. Just waiting for the sway bar bushings to come today and it’ll be completely done.

Now to get my $250 core charge :2thumbsup:.

brianlibby791

Original poster
Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey
77602359-50A8-4630-AE61-7A22E329970D.jpeg
So after just getting all the power steering pump stuff ordered, an intercooler boot, and a blend door actuator. I found my transfer case cracked.

I dont know what to go about on fixing it but im onto selling it, but I really cant because its my first truck, my baby, and the paint and body is all new and pretty clean.

Any suggestions?

Might just get the rear half of the case and replace it, or jb weld. I can afford it but im unsure if i have the skill for it. :cry::sadcry:

brianlibby791

Original poster
Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey
Decided on going the JB weld route since it’s pretty reliable from what I read.

Brand new acdelco power steering pump went in Thursday night, seems pretty good, just needs to be finished being bled.

Also blew a back brake line so I ordered a set of dorman stainless steel lines to replace them and a few others.

Since I haven’t done too much “Mods” to the truck myself, I was looking for some input from you guys.

I wanna get a new set of mirrors (New body style mirrors) for looks.C52F2D68-E13B-446C-92E7-C703F533164C.png I also wanna do a intake mouthpiece (If anybody knows the stock LLY one is super restricted)
2E34F0B3-C53B-4910-A8BB-E4A4E33A047A.png
Any opinions on which I should do first? I will have both on at one point, just a matter of doing which first.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Decided on going the JB weld route since it’s pretty reliable from what I read.

Brand new acdelco power steering pump went in Thursday night, seems pretty good, just needs to be finished being bled.

Also blew a back brake line so I ordered a set of dorman stainless steel lines to replace them and a few others.

Since I haven’t done too much “Mods” to the truck myself, I was looking for some input from you guys.

I wanna get a new set of mirrors (New body style mirrors) for looks.View attachment 85331 I also wanna do a intake mouthpiece (If anybody knows the stock LLY one is super restricted)
View attachment 85332
Any opinions on which I should do first? I will have both on at one point, just a matter of doing which first.
Fix the truck, put some miles on it and get everything that's going to go worked out first before you spend anymore money dressing it up. JMO.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Those mirrors are expensive. Look up eBay and Amazon.

If all you want to do is eliminate the resonator, I used turbo silicone tubes. did this on the Saab and the Caprice. Way cheaper. Got them from AliExpress.

brianlibby791

Original poster
Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey
Those mirrors are expensive. Look up eBay and Amazon.

If all you want to do is eliminate the resonator, I used turbo silicone tubes. did this on the Saab and the Caprice. Way cheaper. Got them from AliExpress.
Ive been looking for others that reputable companies, but the reason im doing these ones are because the caps are removable so i can color match them, which I would like to do at some point.

As for the intake elbow, i do have the resonator already capped off, but the diameter of the elbow is restricted, here’s a good picture for comparison 3A101B0A-72B3-43F5-A6B7-5B10075E95E9.jpegit keeps EGTs down, helps fuel economy, throttle response and slightly more turbo sound.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Ive been looking for others that reputable companies, but the reason im doing these ones are because the caps are removable so i can color match them, which I would like to do at some point.

As for the intake elbow, i do have the resonator already capped off, but the diameter of the elbow is restricted, here’s a good picture for comparison View attachment 85333it keeps EGTs down, helps fuel economy, throttle response and slightly more turbo sound.
Show me a dyno sheet that isn't withing the margin of error of the dyno and then you can buy it.

brianlibby791

Original poster
Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey
Show me a dyno sheet that isn't withing the margin of error of the dyno and then you can buy it.
I mean if i can find one. Its just one of those known facts with these LLY engines.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
As others stated, get it running good and reliable first, then look at spending money on the power adders. You wont find much power in all those parts. You have to really be into the boost and fuel for the power to be noticeable. My 3500 loafs down the highway both loaded and unloaded, barely using any boost. No need for bigger boost tubes, intake or intercooler. When I am my GCWR is maxed out and I am pulling up a hill do I figure those speed parts would help but then with that comes upgrading the transmission and cooling. Although I have no issues with either.

On that note, I was hauling hay over 2 days back in September. Got 93,000 pounds in the yard. My GCW was 33,000 pounds per run. At or near highway speed and when I stopped to unload, my rear diff was hot but not hot enough that I could not keep my hand on it. That is with the stock stamped steel cover. I see no need to spend $$$ on a fancy diff cover that is not even needed.

Spend money upgrade to head studs or a Cat fuel filter adapter. Better filtration and lower operating cost is huge. Get the diffs, TC and trans with some good fluids and filters as well.

Reactions: littleblazer

brianlibby791

Original poster
Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey
So I haven’t really been on the forums much lately besides a little lurking here and there. So here’s what’s happened to the truck: I rebuilt the entire front end minus the lca which im doing soon, got a new set of headlights with led highs and lows, smoked cab lights, a bed cap which was free, and new wheels because i needed tires and wanted something a little different. So far i have 190k now too. Id say it looks like a completely different truck :2thumbsup:. Shes been treating me pretty well so I can’t complain!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Cab mounts...

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
It's been about (6) Months since we've heard from Brian about his Truck...and after watching THIS Video... Rich DeBoss makes mention of a unique problem that occurred when Fueling System was repaired that may be of special interest if he happens to encounter a similar event.

The other thing is that DeBoss gives the "Tune" on this vehicle some Royal and Loyal Praise about its Incredible Performance...after they solved the Fueling Issue. Perhaps he can contact DeBoss via his Email Addy and see if he "saved" the Dude's "TUNE" and might consider sharing.

This Video dates back to 2016... But if you've watched other GM repair DeBoss Videos... you can tell from the condition of his Garage... that he NEVER Throws ANYTHING Away. ;>)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online