Breaker sparks

Stuntmanmike1977

Original poster
Nov 21, 2021
Sanford, Maine
Hello. Not sure what to do next. My power seat is stuck in memory 2 for my wife and nearly impossible for me to drive. Stopped working the other day and went to check the circuit breaker and burned my fingers taking it out. Confirmed to be good went to push it back in and it sparked and made noise like a welder so, left it out and obviously have no seat adjustments. What should I be looking for a broken wire or could the memory set box on the door be bad?

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
Sounds like there is a substantial short in the circuit. **Typically** control modules work by controlling relay ground connections; they do not handle the current flows directly.

I would start by looking for a damaged power wire coming into the seat motor area. With the fuse out, I would check between the power lead on the seat motor and ground. Check first for voltage, you should see 0 volts. If you do see 0 volts then do a continuity check between the power lead and ground; it should be open.

Check out the attached link; Harbor Freight has a cool current meter that plugs directly into the fuse..

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If it were me... I'd slide over to eBay and BUY THIS Replacement Seat Harness ... STAT... JIK it becomes necessary.

It is very likely that the Wiring between the Fuse-Breaker Panel and the Driver's Side Electric Seat is getting compromised ...either by a Short Circuit ...or from the Seat Drive Motor(s) drawing TOO Much Amperage whenever the Switch gets depressed.

s-l1600.jpg

It won't hurt to get your hands on this Harness based upon its Low Cost and FREE S&H.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
If it were me... I'd slide over to eBay and BUY THIS Replacement Seat Harness ... STAT... JIK it becomes necessary.

It is very likely that the Wiring between the Fuse-Breaker Panel and the Driver's Side Electric Seat is getting compromised ...either by a Short Circuit ...or from the Seat Drive Motor(s) drawing TOO Much Amperage whenever the Switch gets depressed.

View attachment 103973

It won't hurt to get your hands on this Harness based upon its Low Cost and FREE S&H.
Oddly for a NorthFace, but that is not a memory seat harness as far as I can tell. It does not match my 2006 Harness. But it does have a heated seat plug. Just weird.

He doesnt mention his year, and I dont see it in his signature, But they are completely different depending on year.. May have something to do with the AirBag Generation Jump, not sure.

05 have a canter leaver harness end, where the 03 did not.

Canter Leaver
Image 7 - 2007 GMC Envoy Front Seat Left Driver Side Wire Wiring Harness 1240753-2 OEM

earleir models.
Image 3 - 2003 Chevy Trailblazer Northface Front Driver Seat Wiring Harness

Image 6 - 2003 Chevy Trailblazer Northface Front Driver Seat Wiring Harness

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Nah... It doesn't have to "match"... The Harnessing within can be scavenged for replacing any Damaged-Melted Wiring and Connectors and the same applies for the Electric Seat Tray if any of the Core Motor Windings inside of any of the OEM inoperative Three Electric Motors have gone sideways in the OP's Vehicle.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
True, but for the same price, I would order the one thats for the truck..

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Links?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Links are above, but here they are again.

Stuntmanmike1977

Original poster
Nov 21, 2021
Sanford, Maine
Thanks for the replies. It's a 2003 LTZ. First the fuse got burning hot for about 2 days. Every time I checked it was searing hot! But the last 2 days I can't even attempt to plug it in without it sparking so, it got worse real quick. When the fuse was able to push in it would get real hot in less than a minute without any controls being touched!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe the switch is stuck or shorted sending a command to.move and keeping the motor on. Had that happen once where the switch got stuck.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Try unplugging the motor and seeing if the fuse/breaker get hot. It'll tell you if there's a short in the wires or if the motors bad.
My bets on the motor being shorted internally, or as Mooseman said, the switch is funky.

Reactions: Mooseman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Nicely Done...

If you don't object, I'm dropping these excellent GMT360 SUV Driver's Side Lower Electric Seat Images here... Just In Case anyone else encounters this problem and wonders what all that "Hidden Hardware & Rigging" actually looks like under there:

Source: Transient eBay Sale Item on Offer

s-l1600AA.jpgs-l1600BB.jpgs-l1600CC.jpgs-l1600DD.jpgs-l1600EE.jpgs-l1600FF.jpgs-l1600GG.jpgs-l1600HH.jpgs-l1600II.jpgs-l1600JJ.jpgs-l1600KK.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online