Brand New Hummer EV takes a dump!

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, this does not inspire any confidence in GM's EVs. Hell, they couldn't even get it out of park to get it towed.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
NY and Cal. want gas vehicle sales gone by 2035.... :quiverlips: :quiverlips: :quiverlips:

• Haha
Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Although they were able to get it moving again with a reboot by disconnecting the battery, what about Joe Average that can't even change a light bulb? They wouldn't know how to disconnect a battery or even know to do this.

And OnStar was also of absolutely no help except to call a tow truck.

Reactions: Redbeard

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Believe it or not, thats actually easier than many other EV vehicles.

Rivian - Take the inner fender liner down, and find the cord (tools required)
Benz - Remove the interior kick panel, and find the cord (tools required), possibly voids warranty!

At least with the Hummer, you just have to look for it under the dash..

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Although they were able to get it moving again with a reboot by disconnecting the battery, what about Joe Average that can't even change a light bulb? They wouldn't know how to disconnect a battery or even know to do this.

And OnStar was also of absolutely no help except to call a tow truck.
I also wonder about people getting stranded by pushing the range limit. What are they going to do ? call a friend and ask him to bring you a can of "juice" ?
I guess they could bring them a portable generator and a sleeping bag.....

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I also wonder about people getting stranded by pushing the range limit. What are they going to do ? call a friend and ask him to bring you a can of "juice" ?

I feel like there's gonna be a market for solar panel charging kits in the near future. Something to get you a little charge so you can make it to a charging station. Wouldn't be quick by any stretch of the imagination, but you're not going anywhere, so you got time... :undecided:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Which kinda goes against the whole thing about going electric.

Reactions: northcreek

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
I would like to see the generator that can handle this job...Most homes have a 200 amp 220v circuit. This hummer uses 405 amps at 719 volts! The same folks that made the video above made this one:
It is a good video.

And these won't work because the hummer weighes nearly twice as much as four of these dollies can handle should it break down like the first video shows: (and how would you explain to the officer why you are carrying four of these around with you unless you were up to no good or even as you were using them on your own hummer)
1665189280968.png

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Which is why the Volt was the best of both worlds.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Seeing the almost unidentifiable manual cable to open the hood / 'frunk' is really bad. That kind of info should be conveyed to the purchaser at delivery -- by both the salesperson, and however buyers are to be supplied with owner 'manuals' in the future.

That should be the case, if the vehicle is $30K. At $115K, there should be a dedicated concierge number that the vehicle will call automatically, and connect you with someone to walk you through procedures (while also having summoned either roadside service, and/or a dealer to bring alternate transportation.) At least for the first year or two after purchase / lease.

The tow driver was very generous not to charge them (being on a YT video with thousands of subscribers might have swayed him -- and they gave him a plug, as well).
I guarantee they'd be charged over here, for a dispatch and/or mileage fee -- even if they weren't towed.

NY and Cal. want gas vehicle sales gone by 2035.... :quiverlips: :quiverlips: :quiverlips:
New vehicles only. Existing ICE vehicles can still be driven / sold. Although in 13 years, there may not be many still on the road (and gasoline will probably not be on every street corner, and more expensive to boot (the oil companies will claim that the cost of drilling / refining is greater, with fewer vehicles demanding it).

Same as roadside service today -- but instead of bringing gasoline, they bring something that can quick charge and give 10-50 miles of range (the company could charge by the watt, by the hour, or even a mix of both. Have no fear -- the market will figure out how to profit.

As far as the mfg's... they'll probably eventually build something in the vehicle to both prompt when the vehicle is <x> miles to empty, show navigable charging points on a screen, relative to your location (most prolly do this now, tbh), and even limit power to increase range farther, if the inputs indicate to the computer that it won't be able to get to the closest station otherwise.

If battery packs ever get standardized, you could one day see them swapped out at a 'refueling station'... 10-15min and you're back on the road. But they're going to have to find something besides lithium to power the batteries, before that could happen (they can barely mine enough of it now to keep up with current demand).

You might just have provided a glimpse into the future....people driving mandated EVs towing fuel burning generators...BRILLIANT !
I would laugh my @ss off to see this in practice... :rotfl:
"Look how clean my vehicle is!" :rolleyes::duh:

Last edited:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
That’s a lot of if’s,and’s and but’s…..:biggrin:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If battery packs ever get standardized, you could one day see them swapped out at a 'refueling station'... 10-15min and you're back on the road.
Tesla actually looked at this years ago and quickly dumped the idea. Issues with power demands, consistency between packs, servicing and replacing them as well as the space required to house all those packs killed it. Read an article about it not long ago.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Yep -- I know it's not a new idea, and it'll take time for it to be re-explored, if you will. If there's any company that would drive for this (no pun intended), it would be an oil company. They have the investment capital, and the physical infrastructure.

Recharging times decreasing toward the 5-10min to refuel a gasoline tank will stave it off.
Also, it's inevitable that some new battery chemistry will come along, making things easier.

IIRC, I saw a review on MotorWeek recently about some new BMW that will give 40% SoC in 10min or something similar. So that practically exists now, tbh.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Apparently GM delivered this Hummer with a known software issue. The fix was an update to a 'serial gateway module'. My guess is TFL found a bug GMC didn't know about and gave it top priority as video's like this just make them look bad. Who else could get a truck fixed next day unless it was about PR. GM has a lot riding on this launch as it looks to position itself as a EV only car company.

Last edited:
Reactions: xavierny25

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So basically they delivered a vehicle with a known software issue. If the dealer would have done his due diligence, he would have checked for this prior to delivery. Basically the same happened with my Sierra where within a couple of weeks I got a crank no start issue that was known and fixable with a software update. Heck, I had to tell the tech about it after I found out about it.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, not that often they can agree on anything unless it's forced on them by either Gov't or SAE. Look at Tesla going with its own proprietary chargers that can't be used by others without an adapter.

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
Just read that a single tail light for this thing costs just over 3,000 US to replace.
A fool and his money . . .

All kidding aside, I don't think it is a stretch to assume that many/most/all spare parts will have some type of GM-specific encoding to prevent the establishment of third party sources (aka the Apple model).

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I want one... Glad I dont/wont have one!

• Haha
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Even my Sierra, with incandescent tails, are $1000 each.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Another reason to be glad to be a gm360 owner.

I find it amusing to point out the vehicles that the custom wheels cost more than my TB is worth. Now I can point out vehicles that one tail light also costs more than my whole TB is worth:crackup:

I am also glad that the one time when I needed to replace a tail light it cost $20 at the PYP.

• Haha

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Another reason to be glad to be a gm360 owner.

I find it amusing to point out the vehicles that the custom wheels cost more than my TB is worth. Now I can point out vehicles that one tail light also costs more than my whole TB is worth:crackup:

I am also glad that the one time when I needed to replace a tail light it cost $20 at the PYP.
Oh see now your just showing off.. you Snob! LOL

Im lucky if I can even find a tail light for either of my GMT360's in the PYP.

• Haha

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
That's your fault for choosing the super-exotic varieties of the platform:biggrin:

Another comparison we can make;
Take the battery pack out of the Hummer. Fill up the gas tank of the Trailblazer and load it up fully with cargo. The two will be at similar weights. Then go for a drive.
Trailblazer will go 270 miles - Hummer will go nowhere :crackup:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
At least the Hummer and pickups will have the room to lug around a 5000w generator :laugh:

Last edited:

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I wonder how the hummer computer will react to having the generator running a charger while driving. Probably will decide it is impossible and take another dump :crackup:

I guesstimate you could drive at 40mph with the generator running as long as the gas lasts.
That would be a sight - charging cable hanging off the side with the generator at full power going down the road....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online